1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I supposed to get a loud fret buzz when playing hard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Damani311, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Can't seem to eliminate the problem, it buzzes all over the neck on almost all the strings.

I've added relief, removed relief, raised strings, lowered strings.

It just rattles really loudly if I did in, and wondering if this is just something that's going to be impossible to remove, any suggestions very welcome and thanks!

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    What kind of strings?
    Does it buzz when not amplified?
    Brand new rounds can clank and buzz till they settle in.
    Have you tried lowering your pickup height?
    Maybe your bass if defective and you need to give it to me..:D

3. thanks, yeah it does the same when not amped

what would the pickup height affect? Its not hitting those

4. it sounds like its mainly buzzing above the third fret...

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    No, not if it's setup for how you play. How light are your strings?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    When the pickups are too high the strings can sound too rattley when amped up, especially when digging in.
    But since it buzzes unplugged that's not the problem

7. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Is the buzz coming from the neck or from the amp? It is sometimes hard to tell.

8. its coming from the amp

i seemed to have fixed it by raising my action, but now the strings are like 1/4 inch off the neck -_-

9. Properly setup your bass. at that point, post back and let's see some measurements. It sounds as though you have strings that are too light / loose (tension wise) for your style of playing.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  10. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    The short answer to the question in your post title is "yes". Pretty much any bass set up for medium to light touch will buzz when played heavy. The fact that you jacked up the strings and got the buzz to stop also indicates the same. Heavier strings and more neck relief is the cure for heavy playing buzz.

I noticed you said it buzzes on "almost all strings". If you have a string that doesn't buzz, and it's not set extremely high as you said got rid of the buzz, you will have a guide on how to set up the other strings, but my guess is you need to go with heavier strings.

Or, you could try playing with a lighter touch....