Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I that obscure in my tastes???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by charles21o7, Aug 14, 2004.

1. I am the only one among my friends and family who is a Todd Rundgren fan , or even knows who he is. Cmon People , this guy is a music legend. Please someone , tell me that im not the only Rundgren fan . PLEEEEAAAAASSSEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    What was that, I couldn't hear you, I was busy bangin on the drum all day....
    Rundgren Rocks, You are not alone!!!

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Let me just say that you can never be to obscure. If you really want to impress people, talk about bands they've never heard them. And whenever someone talks about band say, "Yeah, I like _________... well at least their early stuff, before they got all commercial."

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I referenced Todds' most-known song in an email once and our singers husband thought I was flirting with her. I got her in trouble by quoting from 'Hello It's Me."

My taste often comes across as much more obscure than I think I am. I merely prefer musicians who are actually musicians, and not celebrities that have great PR departments behind them. There is a range of style vs substance. I see many people that are having great success without much in the way of real musical talent. Choreography yes. Music, not so much.

Last week I referred to this as the Scofield-Spears Continuum of Skills(tm). Apparently the nurse I was talking to (who CLAIMS to be a jazz fan) had never heard of John Scofield. Or Birelli Lagrene. Or Jean-Luc Ponty.

Now I was less shocked that she knew none of my favorite Folk artists to speak of. But she didn't claim to be a huge folk fan.

5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    never be too obscure? remember coypu? it was pretty much "LIKE CYNIC OR ELSE!"

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm so underground that I don't know what you are talking about...

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Obscurity = coolness.

Person A: "Dude, have you heard the new Sun City Girls CD? It's awesome!"
    Person B: "No. I only listen to Tool, because they are the best band ever. I haven't taken Lateralus out of my CD player since the day I got it."

Now, which of these people are cooler: Person A or Person B? Revel in your obscure tastes, freind. So nobody appreciates Rundgrun as much as you. It could be worse; you could have been one of those fanatics that think Tool is obscure.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Dude, I saw them, and they were playing like, in some weird time thing, and it was crazy. I couldn't even dance to it, I looked like and idiot. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I've got Kenneth Nash (Carribean Jazz) next to Napalm Death (First Grindcore band) in my cd collection. Variety and Obscurity give you freedom really to listen to whatever you want. Some people don't listen to anything unless is "radio approved." So they are trapped.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I loved the stuff he did with Utopia. With songs like "Hammer In My Heart" and "Feet Don't Fail Me Now", man Todd's kinda underrated! BTW, his son Rex plays minor league baseball.

10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Only disagree with the word "kinda". Should have used the word "VERY" IMO... ;)

11. tool= not obscure. Try dancing to "spiral architects" or "watchtower"..... I would pay money to C that.

12. I actually know people like this!!!

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Which once again proves my theory that Germans love David Hasselhoff.

14. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Only because they associate him with freedom. I believe he was there when they tore down the berlin wall.

15. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    "Rock Love" baby!

16. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Hey Bard, she claims she's a jazz fan??? Never heard of Sco? I bet she knows who Kenny G is though..!!!

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm so obscure, even I've never heard of the bands I like.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

:D

19. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I love Kenny G. Ever turn off the lights, line up some scented candles around a bubble bath, and turn his music on. Orgasm!

20. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I think she was mostly just up on the current 'Smooth Jazz' artists. We had a few that we both could enjoy, like my shameful secret guilty pleasure Spyrogira.Spirogyra? Spiroagnew? How do you spell that?