Am i the last person on Earth....?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    to finally get a cell phone? My boss offered to pay for a cell phone for me while i am working during the summer, but after that i'm on my own. For the most part i consider cell phones to be annoying, but i can't talk anymore because i am offically a member of the club. I would rather not have one but i guess it's time. I still think paying 40$ a month for something i am barley going to use is too much money, but i went with Nextel and that was the cheapest they had. At least i get that walkie talkie thing, which was my main factor in choosing a phone. Anyone left out there without a cell phone?
  2. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Cell phones, while annoying when other people are using them, are great to have. I bet in a few months you'll be wondering how you ever lived without one. :)
  3. i dont have one, nor do i want one.
  4. I finally got one last summer. I was working for a friend in another state for a few weeks, and I was staying with him. He had just moved into a new apartment, and he decided not to get a phone. So I had to get a cell phone. But after I got back from the job I only used it twice. I decided $40 a month was too much for an average of one call, so I paid the penalty and opted out.
  6. I had one. But it got run over by a car whilst I was at bass lessons. :meh:

So now I have to buy one sometime this week. I really don't like them, but my mom makes me have one. Just so she can bug me no matter where I am. Although there are some upsides to having a cell phone. When you need to receive a phone call, if you still live at home, you can eliminate the middle man in phone messages.

But I wish I could know that my mom would trust my judgement enough as to letting me go somewhere no strings attached. I mean, I don't do drugs, I don't do stupid crap, I still can't get laid. Am I really in a situation where I need to be called every ten minutes?

Okay, miny rant done with...
  7. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I've had a cell for the past few years. I absolutely hate it when I don't have my phone with me. It is such a huge convenience, that I make use of every day. I'm always away from my house when people try to reach me, so I can only imaging how lame it would be if I had to go home to get messages. I can be reached while on the road, at work, or at places without any nearby phones. For those that have yet to get a cell, you will think differently after owning one for a while... especially when all your friends have them as well.

The cost of them is the only downside.
  8. yeah, cell phones are more a plus than a negative
    i love having mine around, its so useful

now, i know this one family that none of them have cell phones
    but they all use CB radios, its the coolest thing :smug:
  9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    when you go over is the real pain though
  10. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Still don't have one. -Luke
  11. When I'm out I usually just want to focus on what I'm doing, not chit-chat with friends who have nothing better to do. If I go out with friend A it's because I want to spend time with friend A. I wouldn't invite friend A over to my house and make them sit on the couch and wait while I have an idle phone conversation with friend B. There's virtually nothing that could come up in my life where somebody would have to get ahold of me right away, so it's alright if I don't get back to people until I get home and check my messages. My life and my relationships were fine before cell phones, and they're fine now when I don't have one. I'm not going to allow some artifical, manufactured "need" to suck $40 a month out of my pocket.

Although it would be swell in the case of a car breakdown or something, but the last time my car broke down was three years ago (roughly $1400 worth of potential cell phone bills) and it was right next to a pay phone.

I guess I just don't like the idea of anyone at anytime having the power to make me stop what I'm doing and pay attention to them, especially if it's frivolous. Do I really need to drop everything to hear "Dude, I'm looking at this awesome tree..."
  12. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    My roomates last year all had cell phones, and i couldn't afford one. I went the whole year without a phone. It was kind of good because no one could bother me, but it got to be real annoying when i had no way to reach people.
  13. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    My girlfriend and I only have cell phones - we have no "home" phone. Why pay for something you arn't going to use?
  14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, same with me and my roommates in boston, we all have cells but no land line, same with my roommates in SB too.
  15. I'm with the "cell phones are great" school of thought. I don't have to be at home to take calls. I can reach any of my friends or family whenever I need them, including in emergencies. I have my own voice mail, which is great. It logs call calls so I can access many numbers easily. The need for a watch is illiminated by my cell phone.

Basically, I hate the gamble you take when you call people at home. It seems that they can never be reached, and in reverse, I often can't be reached at home. If my mom's at the grocery store, me or my dad can call her and ask her to get something we didn't think of before.

I'll be able to be reached easily in college next year, wherever I happen to be, and with the same number people are used to. The only people that call our house anymore are solicitors and old people who are afraid that technology will eat them.
  16. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    OK ok, I'll stop calling...
  17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I went through four years of college without a cell phone, but just last week became a cellout and bought one. The main reason for not having a cell phone was to save money, but now that I have a job there isn't much excuse not to have one. Lucky for me I don't have any friends, so I don't have to worry about being interrupted all the time. I find one of the most convenient things about my cell phone to be the free long distance.
  18. Being from Hong Kong, cell phones are a pretty essential daily tool. This summer I'm back in Hong Kong for about 2.5 months, and while I would like to spend all my time hanging out with friends, I also need to get some occupational therapy experience so I can make sure it's what I'd like to study. When I got in and called the office where I'll be participating in an attachment program, I gave them my cell phone number so wherever I was, I could be reached.
    Another great thing about them is when you don't want to call someone but want to wonder what's going on, you can send them a text message like in a movie theatre: "Hey, turn around. 3 rows back." It's great to see the look on their faces before they finally find you. :D
  19. I'm glad I have a cell phone, but right now I don't have to pay for it, either. When I do, I'm not sure if I'll keep it :meh: