Am I the only bassist alive that doesn't get crap for being one?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Scuzzy666, Feb 23, 2001.

1. This forum is laced with threads by bassists about people and their bass ingorant point of views. I have to ask: Where the hell do you people live??? When people see me playing my 4 stringer, I get the standard "Whoa, you play bass? Cool." No guitarist has ever made a stupid joke about my instrument having two less strings and no drummer has given me the whole "Well, my jobs that hardest 'cause I have to do so many things at once" bullcrap. It kinda makes me feel left out when the "Most ignorant remark" thread comes up and I don't have anything to say...
  2. Well, I don't get ignorant comments either, it's just that when I started most of my friends asked me "Is that a guitar?" and "Why does your guitar only have 4 strings?"
    I educated them enough to understand it's a bass. Until I got my 5 string... :D:p
  3. I only get a lil bit of **** from guitarists and people who watch. I'm used to the dumb girls say "nice guitar.. why is it bigger though?" My guitar friends joke around like we don't need bassists... we can just tune down. That's as bad as it gets for me. Don't know about you guys. Later
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I never really have people narking on me for playing bass, or having very ignorant comments. They just sort of leave me alone. Oh well, better to stay quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt, right?
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Plus, I don't shove it down people's throats...Most people are reallly bored when you brag about being a musician and bassist. If somebody asks though, no prob. I only sometimes get the 'Those are made of wood? I thought they were plastic' and 'Why does it only have 4 strings?' (nobody would ask JT that :D ) questions but other than that...

And who cares? Be proud and and stand in for it! At least being a bassist is better than being an active member of the NRA :D
  6. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    I have never gotten anything bad for being a bassist...just lots and lots of praise and compliments. People are like, "Hey, you that bass guy? You rock man!" Sucks to be me, eh? ;)
  7. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    Not after i learned how to play guitar better than my bands guitarists.
  8. hehe, I can sure as hell shred better than my friends. all they can do is rhythm. I destroy em in soloing on guitar... which is sad. =)
  9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Well..I don´t get crap from people, but EVERYBODY WANTS ME TO SLAP!! And if I don´t I suck because they think you´re not good if you don´t slap..kinda sad...
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    So at last there's a reason for slapping :D
  11. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I play a six string, so people think my guitar is an extra large size. :D
    If I get a compliment, it's: "The band sounded great. You sounded good, what instrument do you play?"

All the more reason to invest in a double bass!
  12. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Well...I always slap for people because I don´t want them to think I can´t play..
  13. the worst that i get is when people are like, "dude, can you like, play some KoRn?"

makes me wanna take up drums instead.
  14. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Most people are really cool about hearing that I play bass. About the only thing that gets annoying is the age old question "can you play slap?". It's as if you have to slap to be good or something.
  15. Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland

I truly feel your pain. Even though I have saved a few souls by shedding the light on that band...
  16. Then I guess I should feel good...just about none of my friends no ANYTHING about bass, and they have no idea what slap is. :D
    Of course, there WAS that one time when I was screwing around with some slap stuff on my acoustic in the common room when no one was in there, then one guy walked in, looked at me for 2 seconds, and said "Wah! So yeng!" (That's Cantonese, btw. :D:p In English it means "Wow! So cool!" :D)
  17. I don't get any serious crap aside from the good natured ribbing between musicians that is given back as good or better than I get. Ignorance is addressed with appreciative but kindly informative correction. Second offense I will usually step on their foot or spill a drink on them, something hot if possible.
  18. I never get the "missing string guitar" crap either. Actually, it's me who tells the guitarists that if they didn't have that many strings, maybe they wouldn't sound so confused.

When someone asks about slap, I answer with some Jaco-style groove on the no-fret-allowed bass and they shut up.
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's funny. People can't tell a guitar from a bass, but as soon as you tell them, they want to know if you slap. Weird hu?
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Anybody asks me if I can slap, I slap the piss out of them.