Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I the only moron in here?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Valdronius, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Ok, I don't how many other bassists out there have done this, but ever time I do, I feel like an idiot.

Have you ever picked up an electric or acoustic guitar and started to slap and pop it?
    Maybe I do it because I don't own one myself, but when I pop one of those top strings and then look down to see my finger decapitiated and the tip lying on the floor, it hurts.

(Okay, so I've never severed my finger, but it still hurts)

2. I'd be the first person to admit that I'm a moron (in fact I'd be about the seventy-third person to admit it ;) ), but I can't say I've ever tried to slap an acoustic guitar.

3. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yes, you are the only moron to try and slap an acoustic. We won't even get into the fact that you picked one up in front of other people! :D

4. Hee hee, I've done that before, then I think, "oh yeah, this isn't a bass". The weird thing is, I don't usually slap when I play bass.

5. JOhnk

JOhnk

Mar 31, 2001
    burlington, vt
    i've done it once to see if it would work.. then a couple more times because i'm a moron.. hehe.

6. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    I pop on my dads/friends electric guitars on the highest string (which one is that? screwy guitarists with their Not-tuned-in-4ths 2 high strings) to build callouses! It works great too.

7. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    I can pop and slap pretty decently on an accoustic actually.

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Wooten´s brother do that and he´s not a moron :D

9. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I always do that when theres a little six string on my lap. :D

If you pop the high E it sounds kinda cool.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    On accident, a few times. My friend got pissed when I absentmidedly started slappin on his Les Paul... Glad to hear I'm not alone on that one...

11. Hmmm...
    Maybe I should try that. I doubt my friend would get pissed off, because I'm the one that got her the Les Paul. :D:p

12. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    hello

my name is sam

and i am also a moron

13. ..Hello SAM... We feel your pain now lets all come together to point and laugh at you!

heeheeheeheeheee

:p

Merls

14. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I tried to slap on my brother's acoustic(I was alone in a room at the time). Did not turn out well.

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    ive done that when i pick up a guitar, nothing wrong with it imo.....seems every time i pick up a guitar my buds are like hey its a guitar not a bass....lol

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I guess I´m a moron too, but I don´t really like the string spacing on acoustic guitars.

17. Hmmmm.....

How about an exclusive forum for moron's? There seems to be an abundance of self proclaimed ones here. ;)

18. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Not many people may be aware but moron is an actual IQ Classification term for an IQ range of 50 to 75 (with 100 being "normal or average"). So are the terms imbecile and idiot. They are all scientific terms.

The rest of the terms are here:

OFFICIAL TERMS & I.Q. CLASSIFICATION
    140+"Very Superior" or "Genius" top 0.4%
    130-139 "Superior" 130+=2.5%
    120-130 "Gifted" 120+=8% population
    110-119 "High Average"
    90-110 "Average"=50% of population
    80-89 "Low Average"
    70-79 "Borderline" (Forest Gump)
    less than normal average range = "Special"
    50-75 "Moron" 25+ points below normal
    25-50 "Imbecile" 50+ points below normal