Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I the only one? (buzzy ultra jazz pups)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Matthew T., Aug 24, 2005.

1. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    Okay, its time for my annual post griping about the buzz I get from my Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pups.

The long and short of it is this - the pole pieces under the E and A strings aren't grounded. The ones under the D and G strings are. You put your thumb on a pole piece without touching the strings with your left hand and, boom, you've got buzz.

My bass is shielded, grounded, etc., and is perfectly quiet when I don't have my thumb resting on a pole piece.

How do you ground half an epoxy-filled pup after the fact?

2. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    I had the same problem. I fixed it with a set of Nordstrands.

Seriously, for a set a 'hum cancelling' pickups, UJs are VERY noisy.

3. scoote3639

scoote3639

Mar 16, 2004
    i also have aset of dm model -j with the same exact problem.excellent paperweights.

4. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I wonder why Dimarzio just doesn't ground the entire pup?

5. Two things:

1. Switch your live and ground wires around. Trust me. Believe me, this will help.

2. DON'T TOUCH THE POLE PİECES!!!!!!!!

It's easy. Just don't touch the pole pieces.

6. Yeah that's basically it. You don't need to touch them to play the instrument!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Easier said than done.

8. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I have been resting my thumb on the E string (with my thumb tip on the pup) for about 15 years now. I'm not changing what works because of Dimarzio's design flaw.

9. I get the same thing with my Model J's, but I love the sound too much too care, so I just change position. I'll prolly even get a thumbrest.