1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

am I the only one glad EB bought MM?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I mean really, think of all the things Ball has done for MusicMan...

1) Created the Sterling Bass (my favotite MM)

2) Created the Bongo (my least favorite, but still good nonetheless)

3) It's still around (MMs that is)

Ok, 3 reasons, but each of those three are great reasons, look how many people on this board own a sterling and rave about it, or a bongo, and rave about it! Also, you have to admit, the Stingrays are different than they used to be, but they can still effin rock the house!

Anyone else decided to join me in being glad EB bought MM?

Greg

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    And the QC's better now than it ever was.

3. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Yes but ... strings thru body? and those original pickups ... I actually recommended a new one to someone just today ... but personally I think I'll keep my beatup old 76.

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I think most Music Man fans would agree that Ernie Ball has done a great job with the company. I know some people still prefer the earlier instruments, which is a matter of personal taste, but there's no question the EB have continued where the original company left off, and built the name into a industry standard that rivals the biggest names in bass guitars.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Well worth it just for this. Woo!

6. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    my thoughts exactly ;)

Greg

7. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    The classics are just that. Classics.

Its hard to imagine a company that can sell enough to compete with Fenders Jazz and P Bass powerhouses. But if you look around. You'll see alot of MM's around, almost as much as you see a standard jazz or P Bass.

I'm not a fan of the MM sound, but I will say that they are selling like hot cakes, and get huge raves from everyone (cept me) So that alone says they're doing something right.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Musicman basses have gone nowhere but up since EB bought em. Seriously.

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    It's been a long time since I played a pre-EB, but I love my EB Stingray, especially after the strings have gotten old on it!

10. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    ...and don't forget that Ernie Ball added the Stingray 5!

I love all things Music Man, pre-EB and EB.

I love Stingrays new or old. I will love them white, black, silver or gold. (think Dr. Seuss)

After trying all varieties of Music Man basses, I've determined the best for me is a 2-band Stingray (new or old).

11. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    If you like a Stingray with old strings, try a set of flats (TI Jazz flats or EB flats). It goes against some convention on why many play Stingrays, but it's a great sound.

12. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i believe that the post eb stingrays are better overall than the pre eb stingrays. the tone of the EBMMs just sounds better to my ears..

ofcourse, the bongos are the cream of the crop IMO.

***Goes to hug his bongo***

13. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Without Ernie Ball, the MusicMan instruments would have been nothing but an interesting footnote to the history of Leo, Tommy Walker and the gang.

Sterling Ball has done an awful lot of good things for the bassists of the world. He's passionate about bass. He cares about getting good tools into our hands. He's also put together a world-class team of people who are also passionate about the right things.

Whatever tenuous connection I have with the company and the people who make it happen, I'm proud of it.

Jack

14. I heard the QC department actually has to lick the basses to make sure they taste right, that's some serious quality control dedication.

15. steve21

steve21 Banned

I love it. Bongos rule, Sterlings are good, and 3 band SRs are awesome. Not to mention the dual buckers.

It's nowhere but up

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Never thought about it. What brought this up, anyway?

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Soooaahhhh, does Sterling really have a brother named Stingray?

18. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Well, when you think about it, what we now call the pre-EB period was only four years. If it had ended then, things would be very different now. There would be no "pre-EB" designation...no Stingray 5....no Sterling. No Bongos, no dual pickup SRs or Sterlings....the world we inhabit, we bassists, would be different.

19. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Yes! Or actually, no. He does have a brother, though, and his name is David, and I have played Elvis songs with him.

[​IMG]

That would be David on the mic, me on the bass, a guy named Tommy on guitar and John Ferraro on drums. If you feel spunky, google John Ferrraro. He's been around, to say the least.

20. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I thought pre-EB was more like 8 years from '76 to mid-'84 with EB production starting up in late '84 to early '85.

In the early 80's I played a black '77 Stingray. I remember that I had a great feeling when I heard that Ernie Ball had taken over production of the Stingray. I remember the faint knowledge of hearing that Music Man was going out of production and wondering what would happen to the Stingray. Remember, this was way back in the pre-internet days so there was a lot less information flowing and the few things you heard were at least 50% BS (you were hearing them from musicians and music store employees).

I didn't know much about the EB company, and I was initially curious to see if they would be able to at least carry on making Stingrays the way they were supposed to me made (based on my full knowledge of the one and only one Stingray I had ever played, yet loved). There were then, and are even more now, plenty of examples of production shifts and takeovers that resulted in less desirable instruments being made (by some other manufacturers). I remember several years later the first time I played an EB Stingray (probably late 80's) thinking 'YES', the Stingray lives on.

Whether or not you like Ernie Ball or Music Man basses, I think the bigger story is that it's an interesting chapter in the history of our instrument. Everyone has there preferences, some very strongly one way or the other, but Ernie Ball in my eyes is a company (and Sterling as a person) that has done it right on many counts (product quality, product design & innovation, customer service).