Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I the only one here that DOESN'T worship The Ramones??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fleabass89, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Really now, how many times can you use a 1-4-5 chord progression? I appreciate what they've done for the punk rock community, but I think their music is kinda weak. I could write one of their songs if I was in a drunken state of euphoria. And the lyrics are pretty brainless. I just think some people pretend to like them so much because they were the FIRST to play punk (or whatever you want to call it), and everyone else worships them. Any thoughts?

2. i don't worship them
    ... in fact i have never herd them, and it dosn't phase me none.

3. i really hate them - but i do worship them :confused:

4. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I don't like punk, so that probably answers your question of whether or not I "worship" The Ramones.

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i dont worship them.but i do like a few or their songs.and yeah all their songs are easy as sh!t although im sure how easy sh!t is.:confused:

6. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I think their pretty weak also, but thats punk for ya.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh, they're weak, OK, but not as weak as the RHCP.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    fleabass...you haven't seen Rock 'n Roll Highschool...have you? :D

9. I was just thinking of the thread you made when I wrote this.
    I think the Chili Peppers are one of the tightest bands around. Consider how long they've stood up to the test of time, drugs, passing trends, dying friends, etc... And I personally cannot see how you can listen to Californication all the way through and think they are weak. Each to his own though. I must say, they kind of suck live (only Anthony). The musicians are as awesome as ever. Good live or not, they're excellent song writers IMO.

Now, back to the subject, where ever I go, people just love the Ramones. They give me a blank stare when I tell them I don't the Ramones are too good. It's different here.. Maybe us bassists are too smart for them?:D

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I guess my problem is I've only heard them live ... uh ... on TV.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yeah, simple 1-4-5 music sux. I have no use for the blues, either.

:rolleyes:

12. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I dunno. I really like the Ramones. Not because they are the first big american punk band. It is just something about them that i like. I like their attitudes. I know the music is pretty simple and anyone here could play it, i just think they are pretty cool for sticking it out for sooo many years. '75 or '76 till around '94, '95.

PS At least they play their own instruments

13. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    ditto

Mike

14. Eh, so did Hanson ;)

I like some of the Ramones songs. Got to understand, Ramones aren't liked because of the technical side of their music, in fact, they openly admitted to sucking at their instruments.

They had something no other band during that era had, ALOT of energy. Everything was either imitating LZ, or having fun with their 10 year long guitar solos. They wanted something fast and with lots of energy.

I have a bootleg of em live, pretty cool, lots of energy.

But truly, they DON'T deserve the worship they get. Early punk belongs to Britain, not America ;)

15. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    This usually happens to pioneers of all types. They take the risks, they do the trailblazing, they come up with something new...and everyone else comes behind (using their "trail") and claim that it was easy and they could've done better. Well...why didn't they then?

All the claims of "I can play all their sh*t in my sleep" are pointless. The technicalities are not the point. The point is that they created something that wasn't there to begin with.

Oddly enough, I believe if you asked the guys in RHCP this same question, they'd tell you the Ramones were a GREAT band, groundbreakers. They'd probably also tell you it's really easy to criticize and second guess others while you sit at home in your Mom's house, nameless, faceless, and without risk. Are you out covering new ground? Are you doing ANYTHING? :rolleyes:

I'm not a big fan of the Ramones, or Punk in general, but credit is due to people who gave of themselves to create and achieve...and DID IT.

16. I can give them that much, they did start something new (see my first post), and I understand what you are saying. I like The Ramones' attitude, their energy, and their place in the music scene, but I could never get into the music itself.

17. Well of course you think they suck! Anthony's voice on that VH1 performance was crappy. But since you don't own any of their recordings (that's what I'm assuming, if you've only heard them on TV), it's not fair to say they suck.. but I guess nobody's stopping you.

18. This is the first I've seen a thread for them. I would have to say that they are not as "worshipped" as you think they are.

They were a good band and really made a mark for Punk. I like them a lot more than I used to, but there is a speciffic taste involved and they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

There does seem to be a lot more RHCP worshippers around here. Bashing people for liking a certain band is the pot calling the kettle "black".

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Actually, unless it's a horrible mix onTV, it's a perfectly legitimate place to decide someone sucks, after hearing them live. No "studio magic".

Bear in mind, I'm not saying they suck but if someone came to that conclusion after listening to "them" live...

There are still quite a few who can't approach their recorded output in a live forum. My favorites are the ones who surpass it.

Funkadelic has made some milestone recordings IMO but watching the chaos of them live on a TV program doesn't help.