Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I the only one here who just isn't a sunburst guy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zerodown1432, Mar 27, 2005.

1. zerodown1432

zerodown1432

Aug 28, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    For whatever reason, I like the natural wood finishes or even solid colored finishes a lot better than sunburst. I just don't think it enhances the look of the bass at all.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I agree with you most of the time, but a three tone sunburst ala '62 or Jaco jazz is heavenly to me all of a sudden.

3. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    I've never cared for sunburst anything. Just ain't natural lookin'.

I prefer a blonde ash or maple, or, like my current bass, transparent cherry red on mahogany.

My 6 string acoustic Washburn (not a bass) is a cobalt blue on mahogany with gold binding all around. My 'Blue Angel'.

Sunburst? uh-uh!

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I generally wouldn't go out of my way to get a bass with a sunburst finish. Some of the other bursts, like blueburst, greenburst, etc., I think look nice sometimes, but I like translucent colors and dyes just as much. Solid colors can look nice, too.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sunburst isn't my favorite, but on the right bass, they look pretty nice. Like a '60 P bass with a rosewood fingerboard and a red tortoise pickguard.
    The first one is actually a '59, but close enough.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I've never been a big fan of the traditional sunburst, however I am a huge fan of some of the less traditional things like Brubakers woodburst finishes and the blackburst (as in a nice wood top with a black fade out on the edges...)

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm definitely not a sunburst guy, it just doesn't do anything for me. On that same line of thinking, I used to be all about figured tops, but have since gone the way of liking solid colors with a contrasting pickguard.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    well.... I've always hated traditional bursts. White on Ash with Tort my favorite look. I'd ordered my fretless 6 in translucent Blue on Ash (already got a white/tort... though it did cross my mind) but when the time to spray it came, the builder called me and said "It wants to be a burst." I thought about it 1/2 a second and I chose to let the Luthier do what he does best. I had the basic specs it needed to meet, I let him take it as it went from there.

I'm glad I did! I'm digging my burst :bassist:

9. Certainly not my favorite either, but I totally agree with Embellisher.

I just have a thing for natural (or tastefully dyed) finishes on *nice* wood.

Oh oh oh....... Just my .02 :)

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Yep, I'm another who doesn't like sunburst finishes, even though my first bass had one. I also find I'm less and less keen on really fancy wood tops as time goes on, and much prefer solid colours or simple(r) plain wood tops. Don't like pickguards either, so a sunburst with a pg is the worst of all worlds aesthetically.

11. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I like bursts, but not if they contain black. Brubaker probably has the ones that are most aesthetically pleasing (to me)

12. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    im not a huge fan, ive always thought they seemed kind of tacky for some reason, i guess occasionally ill see a burst finish bass that in my opinion pulls it off, but im not sure if id actually want one

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I love traditional bursts, especially with a tort guard.

14. The Beast

The Beast

Jul 19, 2004
    Evil Town
    For some reason or another, I think that the fender jazz bass with sunburst finish and red tortise shell pickguard is the ugliest thing ever.
    Yet I still play on one, because it is the nicest playing and sounding bass I found for the money, and that was the important part.
    I just wish it looked like a gibson...

15. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I have a bass with sunburst, and I absolutely hate it. Solid colors or natural finish for me now.

[​IMG]

16. i hate sunburst...

17. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I think Sunburst and tobacco burst look hideous and aweful. Combine them with tort pickguards and you have barf-on-a-plate. Nasty.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I don't like the sunburst or tobacco burst either. I had an amberburst Spector once, and that was it. I can say I owned one, and I still don't really care for it.

FMT or solid colors do it for me these days. I'm sure I'll come around some day though. I mean...if someone handed me a sunburst Sadowsky, I wouldn't say no. :)

-Mike

19. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Not really a traditional sunburst fan, but I do like other "burst" type finishes, say, a Rick Fireglo (awesome). Other faves-

Stained figured tops (the brighter the better! Blue, green, orange... you name it).
    Solid white with black pickguard (always looks great under lights).

Some finishes that look great close up don't actually look that good on stage - what do you think?

20. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I'm lovin the burst on this one...

[​IMG]

So much, that I just ordered one. :hyper: