Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I the only one here who respects country musicians?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Oct 31, 2005.

1. I used to make fun of them, those no talent honky tonk fools. Until I got a country gig and had my eyes opened up.

Me playing this country gig has gotten me to play with some of the best musicians I've ever met. Sure, bass wise this stuff isn't complicated, but cmon who'd want to hear me solo and slap and tap at a country show? It's more so about the overall sound than the bass, if anything getsw a lot of focus I'd say it's lap steel, fiddle, and piano.

I thought it'd be easy, but I learned my way into it, and still am learning every day. Some of these tunes aren't as easy as you think!

Oh, and modern country bass playing is getting quite contemporary I'd say.

Just saying don't diss it, I feel there's more musicianship here than in many modern genres.

2. While country music isnt my cup of tea, I do respect that they are great musicians. Honestly, IMO, much of the mainstream music out there has very little musicianship. Its alot of magic performed in the studio. The live music from various bands can really suck. I have seen some live stuff on CMT and many of the bands are very tight and talented.

3. I respect country musicans, especially the bluegrass banjo players (insane they are). But its just not my type of music, If I have trouble going to sleep I might pop in that Sheryl Crow cd my mom bought a few years back... :D

4. Here in semi-rural Tennessee, I bump up against a lot of extremely talented country and bluegrass artists. And then I turn on the radio and hear Toby Keith over and over again :scowl:.
    I respect country musicians, especially the ones that are playing dives in Nashville, but the commercialization of the genre is killing a lot of what makes it special.

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I like old-timey country, great great melodies. Slide guitar is really nice as well, it can sound cheesy a lot, but when it's well-played it's an incredible instrument. I have very little time for modern country though; a lot of it sounds so pedantic and contrived.

I still dig a bunch of country-influenced bands.

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I love pop country. I love the challenge of country music. It is all about timing and tone. You learn to make every note count, and have you heard some of the studio tones from these current artists? To die for.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Some of those cats can really rock :bassist:

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yes, the less commercialized country music can really rock! Ray Charles played country, along with a lot of other genres. Johnny Cash, Emmylou Harris, Hank Williams Sr., et al, have produced lots of great music, and often their recordings are/were done in just a few takes or less because the musicians had their stuff together going in.

And if you consider bluegrass to be "country" (some grassers and country folks alike would fight you on this), there have always been a lot of great players.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Your post interested me as I have seen a few documentaries and films about US history recently and I was getting the impression that Country was the official "White" music - so people who didn't like the fact that most other genres were dominated by Black musicians; could always take solace in some good ol' Country music - where it was white all the way...?

But that's just an impression I got from a few films..I was wondering how true this was...?

10. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Do you have bad teeth? Do all your women never shave?

I know black musicians in country music. Yes there are some racist country musicians, yes there are some racist rappers, yes there are some idiots out there.

Just because we talk with a southern drawl and slower then the northern folk does not make us stupid or racist.

-Bryan

11. Charlie Pride was a great County Singer/musician. Few knew he was black.

12. naja

naja

Oct 14, 2005
    East TN
    You beat me to it.....
    Pride was probably the most well known black country artist, but I can picture the faces of a couple others, but their names escape me right now.

This thread makes me want to dig out some of my old Willie Nelson and listen to it again......

LOL, I now have "put another log on the fire" by Mac Davis running through my head now :cool:

13. This is a "politically sensitive" topic, especially for those whites who want to deny that racism ever existed, or still exists, in the US. While there have been a few black country stars (Chiarley Pride was the most popular), it is a primarily white music. In a similar vein, blues before 1965 was a primarily black music. Today it is difficult to find a black in the US under the age of 50 who will admit to liking blues. If you go back to the 1920s you will find that Okeh Records divided their "Southern music" into "race records" (black) and "old timey records" (white string bands). Rock & Roll originally represented a melding of the two southern musical forms. Many of the original white rock and roll hits were covers of black artists by country or pop artists. Elvis Presley was a star on the Louisiana Hayride while covering black r&b. I can guarantee you that my white father from the Virginia mountains had no doubt what "race" of music Presley was performing when he first saw him on Town Hall Party! The problem with generalizations like those you saw in the films, Bruce, is that they gloss over exceptions.

Back to the topic of the original post. I play country music, primarily that popular between 1930 and 1970. It is the music I grew up on. And I play steel guitar among other instruments. Right now I am working on new arrangements for "Crazy", "Anytime" and "Walking the Floor Over You" for our new singer. I don't enjoy most current country music other than George Strait and Alan Jackson. OTOH, I love Asleep at the Wheel. And the bass lines are not always I, V ad infinitum.

14. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Neal McCoy, and Cowboy Troy :D !

There are a bunch of excellent musicians in country music. Brent Mason is a monster session guitar player and Brad Paisley and Keith Urban are excellent.

On the bass side, Dave Pomeroy, Michael Rhodes, Mike Brignadello, just a few to start with. Vinnie Coliauta has played drums on a bunch of Faith Hill recordings

I have been playing in country bands for 3 years now and we keep cycling through guitarists, the music is too complex for them, to many hard chords!

Meanwhile, two of the best musicians I have ever played with are part of my current band, both play steel, fiddle, mandolin, banjo and guitar.

15. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I like country music also, but not much past the last 70s.
    Shania Twain almost single-handedly destroyed the genre.

:bag:

FYI, Freddy Fender wasn't white either, he was Hispanic.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm actually really starting to get into country music: Brad Paisley, Kieth Urban, Rascal Flatts because of a girl here at school. Not only is she awesome, but she's convinced me to listen to some very GOOD music.

17. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Jay Damacus is a very good musician also. He's the bass player for Rascall Flatts and from what I can tell he records his parts. Some tasty bass lines, I particularly like his line in "God Bless the Broken Road", it weaves in and out of the vocal melody. Very nice!

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    No, I respest the good ones, same as any other genre.

19. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Most country musicians laugh at two-bit rockers - all the way to the bank. GOOD rock is hard to do - GOOD country is harder. JMHO.

A couple of country influenced artists I really like are John Hiatt and Steve Earle.

20. Well, I think alot of country music is great, but from a musicianship standpoint I think you'd have to be ignorant not to appreciate the general musicianship in the country scene. One of the best things about modern country albums and shows is the level of musicianship in the backing band and production on studio albums. And killer bass tones! :)