1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

am i the only one here with an s.d curley?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cliff em all, Jul 22, 2012.

1. cliff em all

cliff em all

Jul 6, 2012
    is there anyone else here that owns a s.d curley? just curious:confused:

2. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    Is that an std?

3. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    I own a couple first generation standards. Cool basses.

4. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    I got one of those back in nam wooh Asian chicks

5. Anaughtybear

Anaughtybear Guest

Apr 3, 2012
    Fargo, ND
    I used to have one. I liked it, but I gave it to my cousin when he got into music. I've never really been into the short scale basses. I do like Asian women though. They really know how to mistreat you.

6. I has an SD Curlee years ago. Took it back as the frets were actually all out on it. Shame, as it looked like a nice bass, but it was impossible to play with anything - needed a new fretboard. Got my money back - haven't really seen much of the brand since.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    OP: if you use the proper spelling "Curlee", and search on that, you'll find a lot of threads, a lot of owners past and present.

8. I have a Curlee Liberty II. I can tell it was a really great bass when it was new, but time has taken its toll on it and the neck has twisted, like many other Curlees. It was my intent to rescue it and it actually played decent for a while after a fret level, but the neck is too unstable. The guys at Birdsong Guitars are now making Curlees again. Mine will be here in the classifieds as soon as I get some better pictures taken.

View attachment 279328

9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Had one years ago. Not no more.

10. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    I have a Model 1 and like so many others, the neck is bad. Too thin, the truss rod didn't get enough curve from the insert and the retainer at the adjustment end was able to move, which caused the rod to slip away from where it needed to be in order to do its job. Still trying to decide what I'll do about it. I may try to make a new neck.

11. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Did yours come with the Hipshot bridge?

12. Nope. I had a Mom&Pop do the fret leveling and they were able to get the Hipshot UNPLATED for less money than I could get a chrome or black one. It wasn't my intention to keep it 100% stock, and the Hipshot A allows for thru body stringing (which I haven't drilled for yet).

It came with a Badass I which isn't a bad bridge, but the A is more adjustable for the tricky spacing on Curlees.

I dare anyone to find two Curlees with matching specs and dimensions. It's like each one was a one-off. Another TBer and I compared neck widths, etc, and nothing matched.

13. cliff em all

cliff em all

Jul 6, 2012
    wow i feel ashamed for spelling the name of my bass wrong but i too have a model 1 and it isnt in the best shape either and immigrant that is one sexy bass

14. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    If that's the Hipshot with narrow spacing, it's the same one Birdsong is using on the new Curlee basses.

They were a very small shop and that makes it possible to change things on the fly. If you have seen the SD Curlee link on the Birdsong site, you may have read something about Denny Rauen- he has a shop here in MKE and I have talked with him a couple of times about what to do with mine, why it happened, etc. He and Randy Dritz were the ones who helped Birdsong get the ball rolling. The necks were, and still are, all hand-shaped.

I think I'm going to take some maple scraps and make a neck blank, to see if I can come up with a way to replace mine. I really liked this bass and would like to be able to play it without breaking the bank.

15. To the S.D Curlee owners with neck issues, I would contact Scott at Birdsong. I know that he's doing restorations on original S.D. Curlees.

He may also have some insight in getting the neck issues sorted. (Almost wrote straightened out. ;) )

16. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    I already have and am waiting for a reply to my last e-mail. The earliest ones usually have the worst problems. Changing to fretless would be a good option if the twist isn't too bad.

The problem with the original necks is that they didn't use a slab fretboard and the truss rod is really close to the frets. Even if the top was planed, what's left isn't thick enough to not have the truss rod punch through. Planing it flat so a slab can be glued on might work but the truss rod is still a problem, as well as the skunk stripe, which can break free of the maple and fall out. If that falls out, the truss rod will, too.

17. I considered that but I lost interest in putting more money into my Curlee. As soon as I get around to creating a real classified ad, someone who has the desire to fix it will have a sweet bass. The short time the neck was stable, I found that it's capable of a lot of different tones.

And it looks cool as S.

18. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Ha! So that explains it!

Back in the early 1980s I owned one of the original Model Ones, and it was just adequate, not really my cup of tea, and I was happy when I got rid of it.

A couple years later I was in the studio, playing a real spanky/twangy-sounding Fender Elite Precision II, and the producer asked if I had a more vintage-sounding, dull, thuddy bass for one number. Nothing I'd brought with me fit that bill, but the house engineer had -- you guessed it, an original Model One SD Curlee. I looked at that thing and thought "Really?"

...but I picked it up & plugged it in, and holy crap it sounded nothing like the (ostensibly identical) Curlee that I had owned! Worked great on that track too, a real phat Jamerson kinda vibe.

19. erhoth

erhoth Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2009
    I have an 76 Liberty Bell International. I found it on ebay and took a chance. It was sitting in the closet and hadnt been touched since 1981. I think the owner passed then. It came to me with the original strings still on it and the original case. The neck is straight and the trussrod works fine. I put some flats on it and wow! Love the bass. It has me looking at the new ones that Birdsong is making.

Attached Files:

20. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Commercial User

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    There was one for sale at Thegearpage.... Kinda beat, kinda cool. Pretty cheap.