1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I the only one put off by how women are portrayed on TB?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pmchenry, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    I have a feeling I'm in the minority here, just from having read so many posts, but surely someone agrees that it's a bit disgusting how so many TB posts result in women being sexually objectified?

I'm not just talking about the "Hot Singer Babe" or "Hot Chicks at Shows" threads either. I constantly see descriptions of new projects being put together which include statements like "we went with the female drummer because she's fun to look at" or "she could sing but she wasn't hot enough."

Now I'm no prude. I happen to like looking at women as much as the next guy, and I'll admit that an attractive female member adds to a band's marketability. I also don't think I'm overly expectant of people being politically correct, in fact often I think people are too sensitive.

But there's a certain tone to much of the language I see floating around TB that lacks a certain amount of respect for women. Things like "no picture, no bass chick" don't really help that image much. I understand the community is largely dominated by a male population, but is it totally unreasonable to expect all of that male population to behave above cro-magnon levels?

Am I alone here?

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I think it's fairly understood we (as the community) are joking.

3. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    I'm pretty good at spotting a joke, or sarcasm, even on the interwebs, and that's just not the overall impression I get from many of the posts I'm referring to. Telling us about a new band member and leading with how attractive they are tends to indicate just how someone looks at the opposite sex. Maybe I've totally missed the plot, though...

4. I would guess so. It's the Internet. People are anonymous and say whatever they want. If anything is truly offensive to you, please report it to a mod and they will take care of the issue.

And if you are coming across a high ratio of threads that sexually objectify women on talkbass, I'd only question which threads you are clicking on. Most threads here are about basses and things related to basses.

5. I'd say that the general attitude on TB towards women is FAR better than the the majority of the net. Folks around here are normally really cool towards the women. But, what bothers me is the fact that whenever you see a thread specifically about or relating to women you see some of the craziest **** directed at them. I swear those threads bring some of the worst out of this site even when the subject of the thread itself, is completely reasonable.

6. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    OK... I think someone's reality check bounced...

you are on the internet worrying about someone being offended? really?
    You have heard of internet trolls, tight?

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    you should hear what the female members are saying about you right now. :bag:

8. [del]I'm sure that the women of TB are too busy swooning over me to say much about anyone at all...[/del]

*cough*

9. If you think TB is somewhat sexist... i dont know what to tell ya... i wouldnt suggest going on any other websites!

10. I am man, and I like to look at and talk about sexy women. :bag:

11. [/thread]

For as much of a sausage fest this place can be, its pretty tame.

12. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Since I've been here at Talkbass, I've seen, a guy that had a friend on Heroin get help & advice & support from several pages worth of people.

I've watched as a young lady made the decision to come out of the closet to the entire community about her decision to start living her life as a guy.
    And receive hundreds of supportive comments and encouraging words. Not a single negative comment that I can recall.

I've seen an entire band of nothing but men that dress as women (transgender band) and preform dressed as women. And I've yet to see any rude, hateful, un-accepting, negative, or close minded comments said to the bass player who is a member here.
    Watched the YouTube videos and you guys nailed that Duran Duran song. Great job!

I've seen grown men parade around the site with their pink bass guitars and I've yet to see a single person say anything negative to them, in fact most people either say the pink is cool or simply it's not their thing and that's it. Freakin weirdos :D

I've seen a bunch of grown men that openly share their interest in watching a cartoon that a huge portion of society deems only appropriate for young girls under the age of 12.
    I've seen guys that were obviously not understanding why or how a guy could like it but still respect their decision and leave It at that.
    Some seemed to have more trouble than others accepting the fact that everyone is entitled to their own interest but in the end nobody seems to have black listed these guys, all of them seem to be very active all over the forum and none are treated differently because of their interests.

I've seen a young man struggling with suicidal thoughts and trying to find his place in a world that so far hasn't been exactly easy considering his medical diagnosis.
    I've watched countless comments that were supportive, reassuring, encouraging, helpful, etc.
    Even other members willing to take time out of their personal lives to offer help in preparing resumes.

I've watched members with problems with their, basses, amps, relationships, bands, parents, cars, houses, jobs, and many more come here for advice and even though some of these problems are painfully repetitive and mind numbingly similar they get help, advice, and support and many end in at least some great ideas for the OP to resolve their issue.

I've seen plenty of female bassists on here that receive all the same respect that any other male member receives.
    Some of them are right there with the guys cracking jokes, and carrying on, having a good time in the threads.

I've seen a lot of things here at TB but one thing I've managed to miss is any blatant sexism towards women.
    Just because a guy says that a female is attractive does not mean they are sexist, it's human nature to appreciate the looks of the opposite sex (or the same) depending on what your into.

A band wanting a good looking singer or drummer isn't so crazy and is such common practice in all music since bands first existed its more crazy to act put off by it here at TB like we have some horrible community full of Neanderthal type males all over beating women with clubs. Attractiveness is appealing to the public, a bands sole purpose is to be appealing to the public, if they are performing in person looks has an impact on their appeal.

It may not seem nice to hear it but it's the way the world works, there's a reason someone like Carrie Underwood is all over the television, while Susan Boyle has disappeared into the great unknown. Looks make money and Create interest. This goes for both sexes.

IDK, maybe I'm blind to it as a guy but I'm just not seeing it, and then again I don't really see an issue with a guy saying that he finds a women attractive, or hot, being sexist. Nor do I find anything wrong with a band hiring a singer because she's pretty. Giving your audience what they want is usually a recipe for success.
    And my guess would be 90% of the community would take real talent over bombshell looks anyway.

This so far has been a great community unlike much of anything else I've yet to see on the net.
    TB is full of some characters no doubt and everyone has some very passionate opinions and views but at the end of the day it's the one place online that I myself can still even associate the term community with. Anything is going to have its negative points I guess it's just a matter of whether we choose to focus on the little negative quirks or we appreciate the fact that the positive outweighs the negative over & over.
    YMMV but I think most of the guys here at TB have always been more than respectful to the ladies and their fellow male members as well.

As was said earlier also about a lot being jokes, yes there are many jokes that run borderline sexist here and there but, they are so far always just guys having fun and trying to get a laugh out of their fellow members.

Damn that was long, and to hell with all of you and your stupid grammar & punctuation complaints, I'm not going to edit either. [-spit] :D :)
    You deserve it for being a bunch of bumbling Neanderthals and sexist pigs.

13. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Mostly its sarcasm/humor. Most of the guys I know here have a very high level of respect for women. They are also the biggest jokers I know.

14. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I'm female and relatively new to the boards, but I haven't noticed anything offensive posted about my gender. I think sometimes people make seemingly outrageous comments for ***** and giggles, and don't really mean it. It seems this board is pretty mature generally and everyone respects each other. Which is a pretty cool thing to see.

I remember being on another board once and I expressed a differing opinion to another poster. That poster proceeded to call me a "****ing slut". So yeah, people can do a lot worse in other places.

15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    1SHOT - great post. I definitely agree!

OP - if you go into something/somewhere looking for something to be offended about, you'll always find it. If you truly see some sort of massive anti-female sentiment or utter lack of respect for women here on TB, you're obviously looking hard for something that isn't there. Don't get me wrong, we're a community and in that community you'll have some that cross the line, but to portray it as some sort of epidemic, is just plain inaccurate.

16. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Really dude? 311 posts and joined 2 months ago and you're already griping and offended?

Good luck with life...

17. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    Women are the same way about men .....somehow that's ok.... Its everywhere even in mainstream media ...men portrayed as stupid or disgusting etc...

Kids and teens are horrible to each other ....

I chalk it up to human nature
    in general ...

18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Yeah, it's just you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.