Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I the only one that can't stand this guy?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RexNFX79, Feb 18, 2009.

1. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    So Motley Crue has had some success in the past and I will admit, I enjoy SOME of their music. These days, Vince Neil can't sing live, who knows what is keeping Mick Mars on stage, and Tommy Lee? Do I really need to say more? Finally there is Nikki Sixx. Honestly, I think he's a lousy player and he generally annoys me. A friend sent this to me today and I thought I would share. Nikki basically throws bottle into the crowd and when it's thrown back he gets ticked off and starts yelling at the girl in the crowd that threw it. I think all of the profanity has been bleeped out for those of you that are offended by foul language. Am I the only one that a.) Thinks he's out of line here and b.) is pretty much over this guy and his music? They haven't released a decent single since the Dr. Feelgood album. If you like him, cool, to each his own as I like to say but I can't be the only one annoyed by him right?

http://www.tmz.com/2009/02/17/nikki-sixx-blasts-bottle-rocket-babe/

2. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Onstage and offstage antics aside - Nikki Sixx has always been the primary writer in Motley Crue. I think his writing contribution was very strong, and as a bass player he has done just fine in a foundational role that fits their sound well.

I would not be happy if my daughter brought him to dinner, though.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner of iron ore Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    If you really want to get a look into how pitifull this guy is read his book the heroin diaries.

5. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE

True, I guess you should judge a bass player in terms of what is asked of them and he did write most of the songs, which at first were good. I guess the guy just bugs me. I hate when "rock stars" do crap like this too.

6. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Sounds good :eyebrow:
    :scowl:

7. i never liked anything that came from motley crue.

the band members are your typical bar hoppers

8. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    i'm not a big fan of him or his playing...

9. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    I think sometimes these bands in their career have had so much beer, piss, etc. thrown at them on stage that they develop a knee-jerk reaction. But I think Nikki ought to be smart enough to know this late in the game it only hurts his career to act like this over his water bottle. Maybe he's mad they don't want to auction off his water bottle...

10. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

Nikki or Vince one of them once said that the worst thing that could happen to Motley Crue would be if someone snapped a pic of them drinking milk.

Take that for what it's worth.

11. I read that story about the bottle-throwing on a news site earlier today. Disgusted me.

I've never had much against Motley Crue but from now on I certainly do not like "Nikki Sixx".

12. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I always thought they were posers - guys who REALLY wanted to be Kiss but were too late. They are part of a whole period of rock music where the bassists were just sad afterthoughts - Can someone name a single hair-metal band had a decent bassist?

So while I can only take the RHCP in small doses, thank god for Flea. He changed everything.

13. CRONOS

CRONOS

Jun 30, 2008
    Yeah that's bad but that kind of stuff happens with musicians especially famous 80's bands metallica has done it to and the worst of all dare I speak the name Axel Rose:eek:. yeah Stuff happens he got mad when he was happy stuff happens.

14. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i wish he gave private lessons. there is much to be learned from this man.

15. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I can't say his attitude shocks me, but the fact that people still pay to see them does.

16. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    What does he write vocals? His bass playing has never moved me. He does not play anything the average guy can't play. Mic Mars..without that guys monster guitar licks there would be not Motley Crue IMO! Tommy Lee and Nikki Stixx are average at best..adequate for the material..but Mars IMO is one of rocks most under rated guitar players.

17. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    I disagree with the OP.

Nikki in general - I respect him for his song writing, I like a lot of Motley Crue - including their newer stuff - Saint's of Los Angeles is every bit as good as anything from the Dr Feelgood album. Nikki's bass playing is however almost completely inaudible, and it almost always has been. I guess it's a genre thing, but it's disappointing to not hear a single note he plays.

The bottle incident / apparent double standard. Consider this - everybody at a concert is watching the band on stage, however the opposite is not true - the band cannot watch everybody in the crowd. This has led to the FACT that all kinds of rock performers throw crap into the crowd as part of their show - from picks, to broken guitars and drum sticks, to Elvis's handkerchiefs to water bottles... but I don't know of a single performing act that appreciates anything being thrown on stage unless it's drugs or panties.

There is a similar video of Les Claypool going off on a fan for throwing a water bottle on stage. "Listen buddy, I don't come down to your job and throw crap at you while you're flipping the burgers..."

These guys (the seasoned pro's) HAVE been pelted with enough crap that they realize how easily they can be injured and they don't want to get hurt playing the show. They shouldn't have to, either.

The point is, I think most people who give it some thought can figure out why it's okay for a rock star to toss a water bottle into the crowd, and also, why it's not okay for a fan to throw a water bottle up on stage.

Sorry you don’t like the Crue, and you don’t like Nikki, and you don’t like the way this was handled – but it does nothing to deter me from remaining a Motley Crue fan.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I just saw the tape and Nikki was in the right. He threw a bottle out to the crowd as a souvenir. It's just a bottle to me but to a Crue fan (which he's assuming they're playing to) it's a priceless souvenir. She threw it back onstage and water poured out on him and got the stage wet. So she's pretty stupid, not to mention creating a potential shock hazard, as well as hurting Nikki's feelings :crying:

19. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    First of all he didn't really go off that bad IMO could have been worst. Second to the OP; Have you ever had something thrown at you on stage? I have and it's not fun because even if you see it coming you usually don't have time to react

20. Swin

Swin

May 25, 2008
    Toronto
    Ibanez Freakazoid

+1....Couldn't have been said any better

21. What gets me is how much he sounds like one of the bozos on WWE wrestling. Same tone of voice, same speech patterns.