Am I the only one to set it all flat?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Feb 17, 2006.

1. it seems I hear people talking a lot about how they set up their EQ, spiking mids, spiking treble, the smiley scoop, but am I the only one that just runs it flat?

I have a Fender Precision Elite and I run the tone and volume on full with the amp on me that is very natural and works fine.

It just has such natural tone I dont' even want to bother tampering with something I find to be so perfect and classic.

I mean, on my Ibanez BTB406qm, sure I mess with the EQ, bc IMO the straight flat tone just isn't all that great on it, but the p-bass just is so classic and pure.
  2. A slight mid boost and treble cut is all for me. Amps can sound screwy when boosted too much and lifeless when cut too much.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pretty much everybody who owns an Eden amp sets it it flat.
  4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I set my GK pretty flat, and run my Bongo with flat EQ as well.

Often times, there's a reason why the midpoint on the EQ of basses and amps is where it is . . .
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The EA iAMP line has one of the most powerful EQ sections available on an amp today. And yet do a search on the iAMP, most people seem to run them flat. Including me :D

And flat on the iAMP means bypassing the EQ completely; there is a flat switch. The advantage of the EQ is when you need it, it's there.
  6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I used to bump the mids...but now I bypass the EQ completely. It really depends on the bass/amp. I think a true sign of great tone is when it sounds awesome flat.
  7. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Yup, me too.

My F Bass's preamp is always flat, too. I usually judge basses and amps by what I can do without EQing them.
  8. +1
  9. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    I play it flat most of the time, but when I gig, sometimes I have to boost the mids and highs to cut through better. Otherwise, I barely touch it.
  10. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    (Like most I believe), I run my Thunderfunk flat - I've tried getting a "better" tone with the EQ, but always go back to flat...
  11. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I certainly always start every gig that way. Then, depending on the room and the crowd in the room, I make Minor adjustments from a flat setting.
  12. I have never really understood the term "flat". Does this mean that on the preamp, there is no boost or cut on the EQ? Thanks.
  13. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

same here with my SVP-PRO ...
    { i keep the EQ section ON , but i tend to keep it set flat .}
  14. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I used to be a mid scooper. Not anymore. I tend to boost some of my mid highs, and my mid lows. Nothing directly in the middle, but the mid highs seem to give my basses a bit more growl and voice. Plus, I needed meat from the mid lows. So, right about the 1Khz point, I drop down to 0, and around it is up a bit. So, it's more like this : ~
  15. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    Owner: Bass Direct
    Yes you can count me in on this one - I have had lots of expensive basses with active eq's etc and I run them all flat, and just add in a bit of top/bottom when the needs it.

The tone comes from the guitar and the way you play it - "it's in your fingers".
  16. Fingerstyle is essentially flat, a little cut of lows and highs to "boost" the mids.

For thumbin', though, I've got a little boost of lows and highs.
  17. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Yup. Everything is in the detent. I run the enhance at about 9 o'clock for a touch of tweakage. That's about it.

Same goes for my bass.

If really want to get creative, I might pan the PU to the neck and back the highs off a touch for a tubbier sound. But, I usually have to have a few drinks first before I really let my hair down like that. :)
  18. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Most of my stuff is set flat. On my GK, I may boost the low mid a bit, but my basses are run flat.

19. Thanks Joshua.