1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I the Only One Who Does Not Care for the Geddy Lee USA J-Bass Neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christcr, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Christcr

Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    I finally got to try out a Fender USA Geddy Lee Jazz. It is obviously built well and it sounded nice... but, honestly, I almost hated the neck profile and far prefer the Mexico/Japan neck profile. Playing the USA Geddy reminded me of what I really like in a bass neck--and it wasn't what I was feeling there. I do prefer j-bass 1.5 inch width, BUT even more important for me is the front-to-back thickness. The Geddy USA neck was just too damn deep to be comfortable for my hand. My Tony Franklin P-Bass has a wider neck (1.625), but is super thin from front to back and feels miles and miles better to my hand. I've even felt 1.75 inch necks that felt better to me than the USA Geddy. My Flea Jazz is pretty much perfect in the neck department for me (for long scale basses). It's thin front to back and 1.5 width with a nice contour overall.

This post is not meant to be a put-down. We all like different things in a bass neck. I'm just wondering if anyone else had a frown on their face when trying the USA Geddy, thinking... "No, not for me." I definitely prefer the MX/JP version's neck.

2. JTE

JTE

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I had a Geddy Lee, and that toothpick neck has horrid for me. Nut width is pretty insignificant to me, but depth front -to-back is critical. My '82 Fender VS '62 Precision is the best for me; a full 1.75" wide and VERY shallow front-to-back.

Deep necks force my left hand into awkward positions that cascade yo moving the elbow and shoulder to positions that don't work.

3. I had a couple of MIM GL's, and definitely prefer the feel of the USA GL Jazz. I don't grip the neck snug at all, so I really don't feel the thickness of the neck, as much as I feel the width of the fretboard.