Am I the only one who doesn't 'get it'?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Feb 9, 2006.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Ok, there is a lot of stuff in "popular music" that I just don't get. (Before I go on and possibly get railed for this post, I want to say I hold the utmost respect for these genre's and artists.)

Right off the top, U2. I don't get it. I don't really like their music, I don't really like Bono, although, I do think he does great things for AIDS awareness. I just don't see why they're so awsome. I do think they were a whole lot better way back in the day and "Discotech" was a great song. But after all that... not really.

____core. Emo, scream, art, metal, death, speed... whatever. I don't like anything-core bands. In all of their respective genre's they all sound the same. At least to me they do. Not to mention some of their shtick. Like the looks and what. Let's call a spade a spade, if they have good music, I'm all for it. But I just don't get the neo 80's glam look thing going on with some of these guys.

I don't care much for pop punk either. The music is fine, it's the high pitched whinny guys screaming about bad girlfriends.... Or is it me?

Last, I don't really understand the hip-hop where the dudes just talk about 'they bitches and ho's' or 'they guns and s***, yo'. I thought the rap from NWA and Ice T was awsome man. Real stuff. Not to mention, some of the groove of those artists tunes were just awsome.

So is it me? Am I the only one who just doesn't get it? It's not that I don't like it, I just don't get it. Makes no sense to me.
  2. i agree with most of that, i dont get it either, music today is nowhere near as good as it used to be, every week theres a new band thats topped to be ''the next big thing'' and dont live up to expectations. infact ive lost touch of what todays music is because theres a new genre every week.
  3. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    There's nothing to get. You like a certain band/song/genre or you don't. Taste is completely subjective.
  4. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Good ..i agree now go back and explore good old school funk (meters p-funk) Jazz... tons out there old school Rock and 60's rock...Motown.( Stylistics ..spinners) this is what i do and there is a world of stuff you never heard or thought of listening to never gets stale or old its classics.
  5. +1

Especially for old school rap!
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool: +1
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Is there really that much Hip Hop that talks about bitches and hos any more? I play at a weekly open mic that features lots of Hip Hop people and I can't remember when I've heard that.

Is Jay Z Hip Hop? Is he doing that? Kanye West? Is "Gold Digger just B&H in a more airplay friendly vibe? I don't know.

Then again, if one is inundated with "B's & H's" like a lot of artists, period, are, should they not talk about them? It's not like they don't exist:D

As far as getting nostalgic, didn't Ice T make "Cop Killer"?

Ahh... the good old days. Boyee!

8. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

Ironically enough, one of my favorite old school tunes....
  9. What do you "get?"
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

11. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    ah so hoes and bling are off limit, but killing cops is?:ninja:
  12. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Man, I hate today's music. All too loud, and no talent. What happened to Beethoven and Bach? Mozart? Stravinsky? Oh, wait, they all died. :p

Ah, well, guess I'll put down the Stradavarius and pick up a Stratocaster... :bag:

All kidding aside, I like anything that's musical. If it's ____core or rap, it takes a little more than being popular to be musical to me. It needs a quality hook or quality composition to catch and hold my attention. Of course, country and rock aren't much better. Same old, same old. Do something new, and I'll be right there with you. Rehash somebody else's stuff, and you've lost me (usually).

There's really only a few genres that I can listen to regularly without something musically significant (and new) happening.
  13. paintballjunkie

Jul 27, 2005
    hardcore music is better than what you listen to! don't you know how much talent it takes to jump around all over the stage while hammering out a bunch of power chords, meanwhile trying not to trip over your own guitar?:spit:
  14. Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    It's not so much as I don't get it. It's the fact that I don't like it. I don't like metal bands, they all sound the same. Also, bands that dominate the radio with their whinny voice like hawthorne heights. They say you should connect with your fans, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to make music that bums every one out. It wouldn't be nice to see kids hiding in a corner slicing their wrist. Also, check out this video. She explains really well the history of emo. What you see today aren't emo.
  15. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

I love the Motown stuff. I really enjoy classical music. It's great soothing and reading music. I also like the 'atmosphere' music. You know, like the stuff they play during yoga or reiki or whatever. The early Brit stuff is cool too. Beatles, Yardbirds, etc. The late 60's and all of the 70's were really great. The whole time between '89 and '97/'98 for rock was good. You had the grunge and some of the beginnings of space rock/art rock/avante garde. Not to mention the last of great bands like Faith No More and Soundgarden and all that.

That's where I am standing currently. Really, it seems, the only new music I like is Autolux, The Tender Trio, QOTSA....

I wish I had luck. Thus far, no good.:rolleyes:
  16. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    It's Ok to not get it. Listen to what you like, so what if some mediocre talent sells 50 million copies. I say don't waste your time trying to figure it out. Consider the vast proliferation of artists, styles, entertaintment choices that have inundated us. It's not surprising the 'talent pool' is a bit diluted. It's not so much that there are fewer good bands, as how many marginal or even downright poor ones there are getting airtime. There is big money to be had for those who find favor with the fickle public, and the competition for those dollars has produced the glut before us.

Ok that's enough of that....
  17. ...That comment really pissed me off... I have yet to see a hardcore band that hammers out powerchords. That type of music is the most technical form of metal you will come across. Its basically math metal with blast beats and all the vocals are screamed. If you want a whole bunch of powerchords listen to green day. Hawthorne heights calls themselves hardcore but they are nothing close..they are definately nowhere near the hardcore sound. HxC is usually some form of wierd timing and some serious technical riffs. Dont beleive me download Selkies: The Endless Obsession by Between The Buried and Me, and make sure you listen all the way through because you can not deny the end.

If you guys are that stuck in your own genre of music you need to take your blinders off. I like a lot of different kinds of music. The main form of music I listen to is Hardcore/metalcore/screamo/grindcore and a little bit of metal, whether it be nu metal or pantera or lamb of god.

Core just signifies the HxC influence. And by the way, hardcore was around before punk was. Dkerwood states that it takes more than popularity to be good. Agreed, which is why 90% of you would not know half the bands I listen to on a regular basis. I do not listen to music for popularity, I do not listen to be cool, I do not dress how I dress to get comments or have people tell me I am cool. I do what I like, listen to what has talent, and represent what I consider a good cause.

Spend enough time with the "Core" genres and you will understand. There a bunch of bands that are the same. Dotn listen to them, they are worthless. Listen to the band that sticks out and is not affraid to say "This is us, this is our music, like it or leave it". Very few of these bands get rich and famous, they just play because they love playing. Hardcore sounds different then newer hardcore. Metalcore is just hardcore with more metal influence. Grindcore is also known as Noisecore for good reason (it takes a few listens to understand what they are doing, but when you do it is absoluetly amazing, and they keep it in time). Mathmetal, screamo, emo, and other genres like that are just COMPLETLY different. There is no similarity at all. Along with Post-Hardcore, which is basically emo with a hint of hardcore.

I really think people need to spend more time with what they complain about. I dont liek rap, but I have spent more than enough time listening to it (years actually) to know that most of it is about sex, drugs, and violence.
    Classic Rock will still be classic, and funk will still be funk, but in 40 years from know, The Dillinger Escape Plan or The Black Dahlia Murder might be the "classic" artists.
  18. Kids these days!!!

Back in my day....

19. My band resembles that remark!

Though to our credit, only a few of them are about bad girlfriends :p