am i the only one who doesnt like the fender standerd series?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by big daddy cool, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Everyone i know whose played it says its really comfortable and sounds great. I think its a badly weighted, poorly made, bad sounding peice of junk. I think they only say this coz they see the fender badge on the top. What do u guys think?
  2. I feel the same about Fender in general. Squiers suck, IMO, and I wouldn't give them to my worst enemy as a starter bass. MIM Fenders seem to be USA-lites, but I think the USA's are overrated. I played an American 99 J bass that was trying to neckdive constantly. The pickups were fairly weak, and I didn't know what to do without an onboard preamp. I don't see why people like them, but if someone wants to buy Fender when they could have spent the money on a used bass that I want, all power to them.:D
  3. bass playr man

bass playr man

Jul 3, 2001
    which type of the standard series are you talking about (P-Bass or J-Bass)
  4. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    no! i hate them too.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If you dont like Fenders,dont buy one.Im happy with mine and thats all that counts.
  6. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    What ever happen to Fenders' just being Fenders not MIA, MIM or MIJ? I may be showing my age but I remember when all you had to worry about was P-bass or Jazz and what color you wanted. No wonder people are turned off on Fender. The big thing when I started was to get Pre-CBS model which definitely had a better sound and feel to the them. I've owned about a dozen or more Fenders over the years of both models and have played alot of other player's Fenders and I must say that I long for the good old days.
  7. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    No, you're not alone. (Isn't it nice to have buddys :)

I've owned and played several Fenders and have never found one I've liked. It's either the neck, the tone, the dead spots, whatever. IMO, Leo hadn't mastered bass construction until he made his first Stingray. Overall, however, the guy was still a damn genius.
  8. I believe there are many people out here that share that. I am definately not a fan of Fenders. The headstock itself bothers me, and the name won't ever do much for me. I don't think they play well have great construction, beauty or elegance. I always feel I've got to be able to love my bass and its just not possible with a fender, something about them is not me at least for sure.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not sure about the "standerd" series - is this for people who can't spell? ;)

I have tried quite a few Fenders and I must say the the US Standards have been quiet poor in finish and in playability. I actually prefered the neck profile of the MIM Jazz and at least it didn't have missing knobs etc. like some of the US standards I've tried at double the price.

Fender now are producing basses for all budgets - so like the Roscoe Beck 5 string is excellent, but is of course more expensive. The new Fenders look very good but will of course cost more - you get what you pay for!
  10. stand "A" rd, sorry!

i was meaning more the p basses to answer ur question, but im glad im not alone in thinking they're, umm, not very good.
  11. Fenders are kind of hit and miss. Both of the basses that I currently own are pretty good in my opinion. I havent had any trouble with them so far. As far as neck dive, I dont see how this is possible as the bodys on fenders are known for there large size. You definately get what you paid for though, as the American ones will definately have better quality than the Mexican. If you don't like it fine, but I find my American P-bass to be pretty well balanced comfortable, and well suited for me. Isnt it great that there are so many brands to choose from so you can have the perfect bass?

12. You know! Here we go again with that subjective opinion stuff. If you don't like Fender, then by all means, don't buy them. I personally have found some bad instruments in virtually every brand that you will find in a store.

Many of the problems with store models though, comes from the ham-handed would be Jaco's (etc.) that come into the stores and abuse the instruments. These bass jockeys could destroy a steel ball if you gave them the chance.

However, I've been playing Fender basses since 1962, and Fender guitars since 1960. They have built great ones, OK ones, and crap ones throughout all of these years. My current two main basses are a '96 RB-5, and a '97 AmStd P. I'll match either one against any bass in their price range, and many above them.

Just because you don't like them, doesn't make them crap! I've never played a Ken Smith or Alembic that I liked in any way. Are they crap? No! I've never played a Peavey, including the Cirrus, that I cared for enough to buy. Are they crap? Not really. Sadowsky, Lull, and the others, don't really do it for me either, especially when I factor in their cost. Are they crap? Hell NO! And gentlemen, Fender isn't either.

You're all entitled to your opinions about whether you like something or not, but when you start making the broad sweeping statements that many of you have just made about Fender basses, you destroy your own credibility. OK, I'll give it to you that you may have found a few bad actors out their in the Fender line, but every other line has them too.

Make you opinions carry some credibility. State what the basses don't do for you or how some other basses do it better for you. Some of you did this and your opinions are respected. The rest, well..........

Just one old Fender player who likes them, plays them, and probably will until I can't play 'em anymore.
  13. While I havent played that many basses (Probly round 30 or 40) I have played some "high end basses." I have also played Rouges. I must say, that in my playing, I havent come across any bass I like more than my MIM Fender Jazz. Its got the perfect tone and feel for me. The only thing I would change is the color. Midnight blue is purdy, but I dont think it looks good on me.
  14. I used to think Fenders were just overrated.Then I played one (a MIA Hotrodded P) and WOW!Since then I have purchased a used mia Fender P(standard from `98)and I love the heck out of her!

The sound is great,the finish,and the fit really nice.Can`t speak for anybody else`s bass....mine is a keeper though! ;)

15. GroovBs

Jun 30, 2001
    I hate the standard series(even American).......but past that it's all good stuff!
  16. I think you're obviously jealous. :D

Chris (I love my Mexi and Korean Fender Jazzes.)
  17. If you read between the lines of what most of the critics of Fender are saying I think you'll find that most guys are not mad, but, disappointed. While Fender is still probably the most well known name in basses, it no longer has the near monopoly that it had up to about the mid 80s. It still is synonymous with a quality instrument, but when it doesn't deliver what some people expect they feel like little kids that accidentally saw their parents putting presents under the Christmas tree, and realize that there is no Santa. I just bought a Yamaha bass that was a little over $500.00 w/tax, and think it's one of the absolutely best sounding basses for less than a grand. I know some of you while reading this are saying to themselves, "this guy doesn't know what he's talking about," or something to that nature, but, I'm only trying to pass on info that might help someone else get a bass that sounds great and that they might otherwise pass up. To keep this on topic, I'm just saying that some Fenders are good, but, there are so many other manufactureres out there that make excellent stuff that is overlooked simply because it doesn't have Leo's last name on it. The more we cling to an idea without leaving room for another point of view, the more we endow it with the power to disappoint us.

Mike J.

P.S. How many of you have checked out a Jack Casady yet?
  18. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I like all of the Fender J-Basses, but im not to fond of the P-Bass it looks old and the pickgaurd doesnt help.
  19. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    With mass produced instrument , with Natural wood as the main material and giving the caracter to its sound, the material selection is very important. Mass produced Fender will have good and bad instrument because the wood is not chosen for each and every instrument. So when say a bass guitar is made, the result of the sound will be , excellent , good or bad, it depends of the 'fate' of the instrument . If the neck and the body material happened to be 'excellent' piece of wood then the instrument 'fate' to be an excellent bass.
    Sometimes you will find a piece of bass from 'cheap' manufacturer sound terrific.

Few months ago I learned from the Production Director of Samick instrument, who produce approx.

40,000 guitars and basses everymonth, he said:

" Out of 100 guitars or bass I make comes 1pc of a good one , it just happened when combination of good quality of tone wood material are used in that particular instrument"

For your information this company makes for Fender, Squire, Washburn, Aria etc.

After the discussion he gave me a present, a sample of NICE WOOD MATERIAL, an acoustic guitar made for one of the above big name, with abalone inlay etc.
    I strummed and play, and I said WOW!
    It is comparable to my Taylor 5 series acoustic.
    When I asked him , the export price , he said for less than US$ 100.
    So I asked him if I can buy another one , he said that , this kind is rare gem of 1 out of 1000 pcs.

So he said , when one wants to make excellent instrument , wood selection is first. Drying and Seasoning are important, conditioning for periode of time good for stability. It will not happened to mass produced instrument, it is too costly and too much waste to do so.

So, I have a Fender Jazz, it sound ok, maybe my Luck.

So , I guess that is why custom made bass like Sadowsky etc. sound awesome.
  20. mentalretard27

Jun 14, 2001
    Not every one likes every bass, you can argue until you're blue in the face about about why bass xxxxxxx sucks, but if someone likes it, who really cares? Maybe you're just insecure about your instrument.....