1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I the only one who doesn't make money from TBers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dee-man, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Howdy TB. Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes:

I've always been under the impression that when you purchase gear on TB and then re-sell it on TB, the unwritten rule of the "TB brotherhood" is not to make money on your fellow TBers (except maybe to cover shipping or minor expenses like that, for example, you buy for $500 shipped but try to sell for $525 shipped to get your $500 back). Of course, if you buy something on TB and then sell it locally or on CL, Ebay or wherever for a profit, that's different.

So, is this just me or what? I'd be curious to hear what other folks do or think about this.

Thanks, DM

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Here is a prior thread on this topic: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f220/reselling-gear-tb-profit-bad-etiquette-839028/

I think generally speaking, there are two schools of thought on this. One is your philosophy, and the other is that the seller has the right to sell gear for the fair market value, and if that means selling at a profit, that is fine so long as the seller isn't using the TB classifieds to run a business.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Bingo. The person selling it got the money they wanted, done deal. Then it is the new owners decision to do whatever they want.

With that being said, I typically sell what I buy on here for what I paid plus a couple bucks to cover shipping.

I just did this with a good deal I got on a Sansamp I got cheap, but shouldn't be required to.

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

agree ...

5. I've always sold my gear on here pretty darn cheap. That's why it has all sold so quickly.

6. Cosmozis

Cosmozis

Jan 14, 2007
    Moscow, Ru
    Yes, and the next time an item of $ 525 will cost $ 550, then $ 575, $ 600, etc. ))

7. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    I always thought the main benefit of purchasing gear on TB was that youd fare better by getting stuff owned/used by a real bass player versus buying something from some ebay hack trying to score some quick cash.

I have never or would ever purchase any instrument sight unseen. But if you had a gun to my head and told me you would shoot me if i didnt buy some bass gear online, TB would be my first choice because the stuff for sale here is not misrepresented for the purpose of generating profits (unlike ebay, CL, et al).

I wouldnt expect anyone selling bass gear on TB to sell his/her gear dirt cheap. But if they chose to do that to help out fellow TBers, then power to 'em!

8. Selling & buying here is like so may things - depends on timing. Your gear is worth what someone is willing to pay at the time. Supply & demand.

9. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    People make a profit on TB deals??? :eek:

Stuff only seems to move for me when I price it *lower* than what I paid. I just think of the difference as a rental fee :)

/rick

10. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    yes.

11. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    One of the problems has been the skyrocketing cost of shipping. I for one use a local Fed ex shipper because it's close and they know me there (HA! - I wonder why!). I have an idea of what a bass will cost to ship east or west of the Mississippi, or a micro amp, or a speaker cab. So I don't care what I bought something for, I'm not getting screwed on shipping. Plus, not my problem if you have to sell something cheap because you have to pay the rent. I'll re-sell if I don't like it or end up not using it for what I know it's worth here. An I'm not ashamed in the least. That's the free market system. Now, that being said, I wouldn't buy something for the sole purpose of trying to resell it at a higher price, unless someone wants to sell me a Deep Impact pedal for $100, which Music Go Round did several years ago.

12. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the thoughts. Didn't realize there was a previous (and pretty recent) thread on this.

13. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I've lost money on everything I've sold on Talkbass! I like the idea of fairness. If someone is clearly charging more than what anyone else would for the same type of item then I'll probably regard that person as being on the greedy side.

14. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I think this is what separates TB from eBay or the used gear section of Guitar Center for me. The descriptions tend to be accurate and damage / defects are not coyly avoided in the descriptions. (To be fair, GC's 30 day guarantee pretty much removes the risk of buying from them though. I have exercised their return policy and they have been 100% polite about it.)

Another potential plus comes from the way people go through gear here. :ninja: Chances are you can see a couple full reviews of the same item by different generations of owners if you look carefully. ;)

15. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Newark,De.
    I am a careful shopper. I try to do some research on whatever I am looking at to buy to see if the price is in line. That way if I try to resell the item,hopefully my initial expense will be returned to me. Here it has been a 50/50 situation for me with resale. Not a big deal,as things do depreciate.based on the want and need theory. I stopped using ebay to sell due to the fees. However I have done well selling my gear on Craigslist locally. My philosophy is to buy smart,.and sell smart!

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

This would appear to belong in the MISC forum as it is not a FS ad. Moved. :)

17. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    If it's a hobby, this is the way. If you're in the business of making a profit on TB, then...

18. The majority of us sell stuff on TB because they've got GAS for something else and are willing to part with one or more of their basses to get it or have a bass that just doesn't do it for them and want something else. Then there's the guys that run into financial issues and need quick cash. I rarely see guys on TB try to turn a profit off of a sale. IME, basses are like cars. Once they're off the lot, they lose a lot of value, especially certain brands. I'm sure people do that but even so, if you want a bass bad enough, you'll pay the price. They have a right to charge anything they want. However, there are a lot of bassists in this forum who know what something's worth and they figure that if they don't snag a bass at a certain price, they'll see another one for less.

19. R0VER

R0VER

Jul 25, 2011
    What I generally do is try to sell for the same amount of cash spent on the product (mods etc included), or for less.

Never can I think of charging more, it just feels wrong.
    Maybe with the exception of a vintage/collectible item which goes up in value with time, in which case I'd get the going rates and accordingly try to sell for a similar or less price.

Personally speaking I'm almost instantly repelled when I see a listing for a $1850 bass that had been sold for $1500 just a few weeks prior, by the previous owner.

20. klyph

klyph

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    So, I've seen one or two threads recently where a vintage Fender was being sold by it's original owner. Are we really suggesting that these people ask the ~$400 they paid, or even the inflation-adjusted monetary equivalent, to avoid being called "profiteers"? I hope not! If you think you got a good deal, then you got a good deal no matter what the markup.

In a world where most money winds up going to people who never stop collecting money, but bet against/weasel out of ever providing any sort of service (insurance compaines), you're really going to begrudge somebody making a couple hundred dollars on a used piece of gear? Sorry, but that's harsh! I've been going to coin shows, antiques markets, etc. since long before the internet. Time was, people used to trade stories about how cheap they got things; and if it came to a negotiation on price, you might use every trick in the book (condition, talking down the rarity, waving a stck of bills around, etc.) but you would NEVER say "oh you got it for THAT price so you should give it to me for x + 20%". It would be rude, unseemly, and from what I saw, would exclude you from ever buying the item from that seller. Just not done! They got the deal, you didn't- stop whining, man up and fork over the dough, if you want it bad enough!

I sold a bass in the classifieds a couple of months ago for probably $150 less than I could have gotten if I had wanted to ship it, and wait a couple of weeks to do the deal (g&l 1500, #8 neck, sparkle finish, $450 obo local deal). The buyer got it for $400 because they were willing to come to my house, and I'm nothin' if not lazy. I'm also impatient, so yes, I undercut everybody else on TB (still took a week!). I was fully aware of the potential for the buyer to flip it for a profit, and frankly, wouldn't have given a rat's behind if he did. I wanted it gone. If he had listed it for $500 on TB I would have given him a "That's my old bass- bump for a ginchy guy etc. etc." post and wished him luck. I would assume that most gear hounds here would know the score and avoid buying on general principle ( I wouldn't- if that was the bass I wanted at the right price) but I sure wouldn't care if somebody bit and he made a profit in a day. It's a material thing- there's no karma, juju, curse, or anything else attatched. Once it joins the vast majority of things in the world that I don't own, it's really none of my concern. I got bigger fish to fry, and everybody should make a little dough on a windfall once in awhile.