1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I the only one who finds this ridiculous?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by peaveyuser, Aug 17, 2007.

1. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Why is it that there are so many negative stereotypes and bad attitude in the automotive world?

I mean you got the import tuners claiming that their cars are superior then everything else, and claim that muscle cars are for white trash and lack technology.

Euro fanatics the same cept they think that you have to buy one of these nice expensive cars to go fast

Then you have the muscle car owners who think anything not made in the USA is crap and for pretty boys.

I mean it's ridiculous, why is a Camaro a white trash car? Why is Porsche only for polo shirt wearing snobs? Why is a souped up Integra a $h!tbox only for pretty boys and want-to-be rappers?

I mean they are all cars! Shouldn't they be judged on design and performance instead of ****** stereo types?

I mean I want to be driving my Camaro in a year and not be judged as white trash, I want the car for the speed and cause I like it myself, isn't it possible for that car to be classy?

Maybe I'm one of the TRUE automotive fans who can appreciate all styles and forms of performance in an automobile and not rule out a certain car just because where it's made.

I mean I like the Nissan skyline, I like the Camaro and I like the Porsche 911, 3 cars from each of those groups.

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Cars suck, period.

3. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    look at my sig :D

I love all cars and all the guys I closely associate with do as well

imports domestics euros there's cars in my top 10 to own from every category here.

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'm more of a Japanese car kind of person. But I like the high class German car companies as well.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I go mad for Japanese cars in particular, and I'm very fond of other Asian brands. European is great too, look at the calibre, from France, to Italy, to England, Germany and Spain...lots of amazing cars being made!

(most) American cars I'm not bothered about. They just don't do anything for me.

6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    For Japanese cars I like Mazda's and Subaru's. For classy cars nothing beats BMW or Audi. For American muscle cars Plymouth's are king.

7. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Buy a truck, then you can laugh at all the stereotype-happy car drivers when they get hung up on the curb going into Walmart.:D

:bag:

8. Your OP makes total sense but you may also consider that those stereo type could have some truth.

If you were to do the old shrink routine and say some words these would be my immediate answers.

quality car > german
    performance car > japanese import
    muscle car > american classic or even some aussies but mainly american.
    Luxury car > english

That's really not a bad thing, each has it's merits. Personally my first choice of car to drive every day without doubt would be a merc. Weekend cruizer for pure enjoyment would be a 50's chev or a convtable 60's stag with a blower out the bonnet.

If you just want to go fast and have the technology cheap and easy to develop then the Japanese have that market totally stitched up imo.

I have a 66 with a windsor in it. It's a pretty quick car. Although it's a 66, it was an almost 10 year build, rack steering, struts and decent 4 wheel disc. It's an old ford but it drives just like a new one. It's a bit scary to drive at times as it is extremely light ( ~2400 lbs) and a little under 500hp.

But in no way is it anywhere remotely as well designed as a Japanese car in any form.

I've said this heaps before, Yamaha R1 total monster bike, hi tech, hi performance in every aspect but I'd never buy a Japanese cruizer in place of a fatboy, solid rims and whitewalls. They just don't have the charisma that a hog has.

eg. Honda tuner vs vette or stang.

If your into camaros then that should be it and respected as your liking. Over here a Camaro of any kind is a collectible that will fetch decent money.

67 stang in ordinary condition can fetch $30,000 no probs.

I think your OP is true though, everyone likes their thing and it's no reason to bag anyone for it.

9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I want the Holden from Mad Max. Man that car was awesome.

10. Are you kidding? Which one? The black black coupe?

11. With all the majors doing business with imports, and brands being built on all continents, it's hard to discern exactly what is going on anymore, it's all incestual really, so many of the stereotypes I think are moot.

It all comes down to engineering and the quality of labor at assembly. American car companies rip apart and study with a fine tooth comb and figure relative costs for just about every other maker. They'll buy a toyota or a whatever and completely dissassemble it, and figure out how much it would cost US to make it, and then cut corners from there, where it wouldn't be $practical$.

It's one thing to be technically superior, and our engineers are among the best in the world, don't kid yourselves...it's quite another to produce that same level of quality stateside while also hitting competitive price points.

If you could get a Toyota Corolla for 14 grand, and get an practically identical stateside offering of equal quality, reliability, etc, and it ultimately costs 17 grand to make, which one is average Joe gonna buy?

Example: The only way VW remains competitive is because the majority of their offerings are assembled in Mexico. It's not superior German engineering, it's cheap labor. I didn't say inferior labor, but cheaper. VW's folly is their quality control is crap, and their cars fail often.

12. Over here the VW's get a good wrap, our are made in sth africa and of the few people I know that own them there really happy.

I agree about the engineering thing. But the reality is that Germany can and does sell very high tech and hi quality engineered cars. I'm unable to name an American or Australian example.

13. I agree, but again, it's because of pricepoint. in leiu of that, we have engines like the Cadillac Northstar v8. That is one hell of an engine...and a good example that touches on the potential of our offerings if things went blue-chip.

And German cars are so good because, not for nothin, they are very anal about every last detail ,and the customer is charged accordingly. Doesn't mean they are without fault, just that much better for it. They are also an independent, and can afford to focus on their smallish product line and make it that much better throught the refinement.

Like if Chevy ONLY made chevy, and didn't have GMC, Olds, Cadillac, SAAB, Pontiac, HUMMER and all to contend with wanting noew enginerring, and resources, and marketing and this and that and their bottom line and how to cut this or that for profitability amongst the likes of Hyundai and Kia vying for market, they could focus more and refine and make much better offerings, just they never thought "small" and it bit them in their ass, over and over again...

....going back to VW for a moment, I'd equate their stuff to German engineering cutting corners to compete with American offerings...at least that is my take here...

abroad, I don't doubt they are better, as are some offshore GM and Ford offerings being better than stateside ones.

14. That's pretty much what we see here too. The car I drive runs one of the ford quad cam v8's. Sure the euro stuff is very refined etc but I've now run a 100,000Klms or about 60,000 miles on this thing without a problem. It still runs exactly the same as the day it was built. The engines are built here but using mostly parts from the usa and canada. Pistons and inlet manifold made here.

I think your point about manufacturing costs is very true. The car companies are like any other, making money.

Hey btw, the mad max car is a ford, it's a 1973-1975 Falcon that ran a 302 or 351 cleveland.

15. Yeah, same thing with my plain jane Jeep 4.0 inline 6. Has 242,000 miles on the clock and still starts first turn and doesn't burn oil. Sure, it idles like a tractor and isnt as high tech, but maybe that's saying something too. :smug:

16. I like any type of vehicle. When we go to the car shows, I look at everything. I like old, full size Jeeps so anything out there is more high tech :p I'm the same way with bikes, long time Harley owner but my last three bikes were crotch rockets.

17. Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Apr 24, 2006
    Gold Coast
    The two door '73 XB GT Interceptor ?

InterceptorSide.

actually, its a
    ford_logo_solid-1.

18. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    A Camaro is classy, if it was made in the 1960's.

Otherwise it's white trash.

:bag:

19. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada

hmm so this

[​IMG]

& this

[​IMG]

can't be the least bit classy?

20. The latter pic car definitely suffered backlash from the IROC days (remember the joke Italian dufus Out Cruzin'?)

They just lost popularity...they weren't a bad car, and neither were the 70's ones.... they are just, with this generation of kids at least, associated with rednecks and the like, I like them tho, they are iconic cars, and not bad lookers... I thought that last gen camaros looked neutered compared to the 70's ones.