Am I the only one who loves heavy basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beav, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I love a good 12+ lb bass. I like to play an instrument that can be used as a weapon! ;)
  2. No. I like somewhat heavy basses. Light basses feel cheep to me.
  3. I don't like very light basses. I like them to have some good weight. However there's a limit, probably around 11 or 12 pounds... I dunno how I'd handle any more for long periods of time. Already my leg goes numb after extended sessions, and my bass weighs 9 pounds.
  4. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    my bass is around 16lb - i think that with a more narrow strap, it would kill me :D

I can play for several hours (3-4 rehersals a week, 3-4 hours long + 2 hours of practice a day + 1-3 gigs a month) without any fatigue, but i`m a big guy and had installed a strappin next to the output jack, wich probably helped a lot - I did it because of the size of the neck, to help my LH a bit, but...

I - however - am pretty sure that I do not want to play that bass for several years - I may not feel it now, but i suspesct that after 20 years of playing a 16lb bass, my back would not like me too much.

Sounds really good, by the way. As to think of it, of those basses I`ve have played, the best soundig were the heavy ones.
  5. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I like them heavy too. Basses that is.
    I played an all wenge NT custom once that was over 15lbs and it was just a bit heavy and I'm not that big a guy either. Sounded awesome. Huge.
  6. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    YES! I totally love the feeling of a very heavy bass, I think a bass should feel the way it sounds. The first thing I fell in love with when I saw a Gibson Victory was the look, then I held it, I fell in love with the way it weighed more than the girl that handed it to me, then I fell in love with the sound, a sound I'm sure wouldn't be as low and grand if it was a lighter body.. yeah I'm all about the heavy bodies :D
  7. FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico

The overall sound is also fuller. Besides Who's thinking about sound when you're chopping down people with your axe.
  8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Definitely. A couple months ago, I ordered a new four-string with maple neck-through & alder body sides. To me, it was astonishingly light - and just didn't have anywhere near the guts & "oomph" I was hoping for...

I sent it back and ordered a new one in maple & walnut. Same make & model, but I'm sure the new one will feel much more solid - and sound likewise...

9. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics

Wow, what is it?
  10. Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    Having used lots of graphite/carbon fiber in aviation, I know that lightness costs money and that heaviness is cheap. I guess it just depends upon your perspective.

I had a natural finish Fender Telecaster Bass that was horrendously heavy. It was beautiful and sounded absolutely fantastic with its humbucking pickup and Rotosound groundwound strings, but it absolutely killed my right shoulder. I could not play such an instrument today with the arthritis problems that I have now.

I look for very well built, extremely light, short scale basses mostly these days. Roundwound strings have made the short scale bass a serious playing option, unlike when all that was offered was flatwound strings. Short scale basses used to be unusable to me with flatwound strings, although I used flatwounds on my long scale basses in the seventies with much success in certain forms of music.

After a given level of sustain is developed, I see no advantage into making the bass any heavier.
  11. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I agree about the cost/weight and CF, especially if you're talking rigidity. Trouble is, few people make any real CF basses or parts.
    I also have shoulder & wrist issues, so I have my basses (all scale lengths) set up so I play at about a 1 o'clock position, which helps with the shoulder stresses a great deal.The ergonomics of most basses are poor.
    Again I agree, hence the reason I prefer shortscales, especially my Alembics thoough my S1 nears 10lbs.