1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I the only one who prefers to buy some of his basses brand new in box?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CocoaThumper, Aug 28, 2017.

1. CocoaThumper

CocoaThumper

Aug 18, 2017
    When buying a new bass...lets say a common production model bass thats only around $500...is it uncommon to want it brand new in the box?

I kinda feel like the two salesmen Ive spoken to in the last week or so have acted a tad strange once I mentioned I wanted the model I picked out to be new in box. Personally I'm just iffy about getting certain things used. And I definitely feel like display models are used.

Basses and guitars are one of those things that I def dont like to buy used if they are typical production models. If it's something vintage, with a great story...or a rare or expensive model...than I could see myself getting a display model.

But I just cant seem to do it on something run of the mill like a Fender standard production model.

How about you?

SJan3, Spectrum, bongostealth and 5 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'm more likely to order a custom build directly from a luthier than I am to buy a new Fender. Most of my nicest basses I got used. I guess I don't see the value in the "new in box" markup, being the 2nd owner is much more affordable and many of the instruments I've bought used have been (or at least were) in pristine like-new condition (though $100s less than brand new).

3. CocoaThumper

CocoaThumper

Aug 18, 2017
    I usually dont want someone else's grubby paws on my instrument :p I guess Im a jealous boy

SJan3, TolerancEJ, T-Funk and 5 others like this.
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    To each his own, but you know you can clean these things, right? :thumbsup:

I prefer to let someone else lose 40% of the value of their brand new in the box instrument as soon as they open the box, but that's just me.

However, if I did buy brand new and paid the 'new' price, I would not accept a demo, or opened box.

TolerancEJ, Ikkir, higain617 and 25 others like this.
  5. CocoaThumper

CocoaThumper

Aug 18, 2017
    That's the thing, the bass would only be offered to me at like 40 or 50 bucks off the new price if I bought the display. Not really worth it to me on a $500 to $550 purchase.

Joybass and HolmeBass like this.
  6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I think the question isn't about new or used. It's about display or box.

7. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Everyone has their own view, but new doesn't bother me. Only 1 of my 11 basses has been bought new in the 50 years I've been a bass player.

My usual game plan is to buy very well kept, under played and spotless basses from the classifieds. That way I can buy much better instruments than I would normally be able to afford.

andruca, nolezmaj, eyoyo and 9 others like this.
  8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    A display bass, if not abused, is a "new" bass. It comes with tags, cases, accessories and a full warranty. And, the upside....you can inspect it for weight, flaws, grain pattern, etc, before you take it home.

Something to think about: a "new in box" bass has probably been handled by at least a dozen people in the construction/inspection/shipping process. Just a thought.

kobass, Ikkir, gkella and 7 others like this.
  9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    No, but you are one of those right-handed people who Can buy some of his basses brand new in the box. With us lefties, that's not always the case... and, personally, there are very few basses that I want, that are available as a brand new lefty, anyway...:whistle:

punchclock and Rich Fiscus like this.
  10. I have had 14 basses --- I only ever purchased one 'new' (ie, at a Big Store); and it didn't come with anything -- box, case, nothing. It was a Fender Blacktop P (right around $500 when I bought it).

One of these days, I'm going to get a brand new bass in a box. Just because.

Hercules and Ghostinthemach like this.
  11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

We can agree on that for sure. You can be sure that someone has a like new version they are selling used for much less. Most of the used basses I've bought looked like they've never been played.

bolophonic likes this.
  12. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Has anyone ever sold a used guitar without the box? Everyone keeps boxes, especially for pedals.

13. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I've only bought new in box twice & regretted it soon after in both cases. I could have gotten a bigger used amp for the same price, and I could have gotten the same model guitar for less used.

I was just throwing out boxes, but I saved the trapezoid shaped ESP box that my LTD guitar came in.
    We threw out my Fender Rumble box earlier this month.

14. In the retail world of instruments display or floor models are new. Same goes with cars, baseball gloves and clothes. Ever think how many people tried on your new Addidas before you did or why your new car has 45 miles on the odometer ?
    From my experience on both sides of the counter if you find a bass that ticks all your boxes buy it. If you want to take a chance then order a fresh one but don't be surprised if it plays like a completely different bass even if they're identical in every way.

15. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    I buy used, like my cars. Last new was a 1972 P, sure miss that bass

HolmeBass likes this.
  16. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I like shiny new basses but if I can get a really good deal on a used one in great condition then I'll get the used one.

Londo Molari likes this.
  17. I have bought four of my six basses new, and the only one that came in a "box" was ordered from Sweetwater.

18. I try to keep at least one box from a guitar case in case I have to return something, but my kids seem to find my boxes and make projects out of them.

19. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Yeah, that was my lame attempt at a joke about the pedal box thread from last year.

20. HauntedDave

HauntedDave

Mar 7, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Rarely trust used. Always seems to sprout issues rather rapidly after I get to know it. Last 3 basses bought brand new in box. 2 Musicians Friend, 1 Sweetwater.

el_Bajo_Verde and CocoaThumper like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021