Am I The Only One With Out A Band?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Scuzzy666, Mar 19, 2001.

1. For Cripes's sake, man, it seems as though everybody and their mother has gotten a few of their buddies together --who just happen to play instruments-- and started a band. I'm not talking about quality, locally well known musicians either, I'm talking kids who picked up their instrument a few months ago and barely know a lick! There's a kid in my band class (by the way, for those of you who remember, the percussion thing is working out GREAT!) who just started a band with his buddies --SNAP!-- like that. And what's even more irritating about it is their "bassist" can't even play "Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen! I'm not bragging myself up to be a Frode Berg or Steve Lawson or anywhere near that level, but I can play along to most G 'n' R and Sabbath songs quite easily (Am I alone when I say Top 40 tunes are just to damn easy?). I've let a lot of musicians know that I'm in the market as a bassist and/or rythm guitarist and I can't find anybody to even have jam session with...

I'm not a Johnny Rotten personality wise or anything, I'm actually easy to get along with, IT'S JUST SO DAMNED FRUSTRATING!!!

But then a cute brunette walks by me while I'm practicing and my nerves ease. However, those five little words that all bassists despise spew forth from her soft, glittery lips: "Wow, you the play guitar?"

I am not a violent person...I am not a violent person...I am not a violent person...I am not a violent person...I am not a violent person...I am not a violent person...I am not a violent person...I am not a violent person...I am not a violent person...I am not a violent person...I am not a violent person...I am not a violent person...I am not a violent person...I am not a violent person...I am not a violent person...
    "There were a lot more bands that had a lot more fun than us... but they sucked" - Billy Corgan on the alt-rock era

"Personally, I think it sucks ass" - Billie Joe Armstrong on the current rap-metal craze
  2. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Calm down.I know what you mean. Ive got the same problem. I know a ton of musicians all around but some little snag keeps me away from them, ya know? Either they dont like me, or they suck, or I cant get ahold of them. Basicly, I think you should run around town like a maniac screaming " Im the best bass player ever!!! " Then, as soon as someone says " No, thats Jaco man! ", make sure you get them in your band...
  3. Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland
    I know what you're coming from. I've been in 2 'bands'. The " signifies that these were just asses who wanted to be in a band to be 'cool' and didn't care about music at all.

Trust me, you'll get somewhere. I have no band right now. If I trusted people to ring me back, I'd be in 3... (I have one waiting to call me from 18 months ago :))

Just love music.
  4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The truth is that few people who apply any level of discernment to what they do will be constantly in a band. I went for years without finding musicians I was happy to work with (and this was before I was playing solo) so I did session stuff, and played other people's music, but couldn't find anyone that I wanted to form a band with.

Fortunately in the last few years, I've met up with some fantastically talented musicians who like what I do and want to get together to make creative music - sometimes in gigging bands, other times just as 'research and development'.

I guess that looking for a band is like looking for a life partner - desperation is a pretty unattractive character trait, but people who are comfortable in themselves make others feel comfortable.

Worry not, your time will come, you'll find those musicians and something will spark. Often you'll find that your favourite players have been through a string of crap bands before they found that magic combination that makes them into what they are. I remember reading a King's X interview where Doug said that they spent ages looking for a second guitarist, playing with people who just didn't fit in until it finally dawned on them that they were meant to be a trio! :oops:) sometimes it just takes time.

5. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Forming a band can be a frustrating experience. The main band I'm in now has a lot of tension, and I don't really connect with my bandmates. Other times when I'm jamming with other people and feel a real connection musically, the other person doesn't seem interested. It's really frustrating and disappointing when other people (whether or not they're any good) seem content with playing by themselves.
    My advice is to try to play in as many bands or with as many people as you can. I've only been playing for a year, but I've gotten a reputation around here as something like a "session" bassist because of the scarcity of bassists. Come to think of it, that could be a reason why some people DON'T want to jam with me. Maybe I'm too pushy. Anyway, that's my advice.
  6. scoat3

Mar 20, 2001
    don't worry I don't have a band but I am still doing fine I like playing by myself. And you don't have to have a full band, sometimes I play with my brother and it still sounds great.
  7. Steve gave some great advice and so did the others.I used to be in a band that toured(once),we opened up for bands that became big(P.O.D.) ,played festivals and put out two albums...err ...cds.Then things caused us to slow down and eventually break up.It happens.So here I am without a band,but it's okay.It'll be awhile before I find people I really want to jam with.It takes time and this is definitely a way to learn patience.In the mean time,keep practicing and honing your individual skills.You can't lose!!!
  8. Nope, I'm not in a band either. My mate Si and I would love to start a band, but unfortunately we don't know a drummer and we're both bassists...
  9. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    two bassists? no drums? no guitar? sounds like the perfect band to me... :oops:)

10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
  11. I have the same problem, i cant find anyone who wants to start a band! I have a few (3) guitarist friends, but they dont seem too interested in starting a band. Which is kind of wierd.. I mean, why else would you start playing guitar?! Any time i get them to try and jam for a bit, they get bored in 20 min, and play videogames. Music is not a serious thing to them i guess. I really want to be able to make music with my friends but no one is committed to starting a band, and i dont have a drummer either, they seem to be a rare breed around here, i guess its because drumsets are so darn expensive.... for 15 and 16 year olds at least.
  12. Why would anyone want to play guitar PERIOD!?!!?!?! :) probably because its "cool" and the chicks dig it, but we all know bass players got the balls! :D
  13. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
  14. BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    I know something you can try. Go to all your local music shops and talk to the teachers after their done with their lesson, tell them your a decent/good/great bassist that can't find any musicians to play with. If the guy's not a dick he'll probably pass the word along to a few guitarists that there is a bassist looking for a band and give the guy your phone number to pass on. That should get you a few responses. Or if the shops have a bulliton board, you could post that your a bassist looking for a band.
  15. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    :D :D :D

I know I know,sometimes I'm so immature :p
  16. I got chucked out of my last band for "not being committed enough". The reality was i didn't want to play crappy, generic basslines, and i spent too much time playing more interesting stuff.

The morale of the story: guitarists dont understand bassists.

Therefore, you're better off on your own.

However, if you can get three bassists and a drummer, then you might be on to something...
  17. This might sound obvious, but do some internet searches for band listings in your area. When I moved here, I thought there were no bands at all after checking out the local papers' classifieds. When it finally dawned on me to check the web, I found a website totally dedicated to hooking up musicians with bands in this area. There's so many listings that it'd be almost impossible to not find a band that meets anyone's requirements.
  18. jcwillcanada

Apr 5, 2001
    I just started the bass at christmas and I can play a few riffs. I really want to start a band but you see, I'm the only one of all my friends that plays a half decent instrument, what I'm saying is...your not the only one.
  19. i ain't got a band either. but it doesn't bother me that much. i've got a few people i could jam with if i wanted. this one girl i know, she plays bass, rhythm, drums, piano... gosh, i admire her talent. we get together as often as we can, but we're just so busy with school and everything. you know. we've got to concentrate on getting our education as well.

but i wouldn't worry about finding a band... the right people will come along sooner or later.

20. bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    Same here, no band. I think I'm at that "special"
    point, where I know what I want to do, and I'm starting to realize that nobody else wants to.
    But, I figure if I can't find a group of people with the right combination of talent, time, passion, and equipment. I'll just learn to play solo.