Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Plucky, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    well, today i went to an audition, my first one, and i wanna say some things about it, just to have some answers about this.

i went to the rehearsing space, a good and famous one around here, and at first everything was nice and smooth. i met the guys, got to know the place and the rest of the band and went inside their room.

the audition wasnt really a proper audition: all they did was take some beers and pot (yeah, although youre not allowed to smoke it there), play some of their "songs" (only riffs and other noisy bs, we only played 2 "complete" songs, which means no vocals, the same riff over and over with a variation -the same riff played slowly and like an arpeggio- and sloppy playing), and they didnt even talked to me about songs to learn (i just doubled the guitars by ear, they play originals, but they sound like Linkin Park ripoffs). No tape with some of their songs, no talking, just a couple of questions about gear and senseless stuff that i had to ask them.

as ive read here more than a couple of times, audition always run almost the same way: musicians get to know a little, talk about music styles, things they plan to achieve in the short run, decide what songs to play (covers) or get a setlist of songs they know and pass it to the possible new member (with the ocassional tape or playing along with it while rehearsing), etc.
    but no, this wasnt nearly similar to that.
    and what bugs me about it is not the music actually (for starting its ok, but it sounded to me like nothing special, and most of the songs were like B-F#-D-A over a 4/4 drum beat), is the attitude of the guys: they are the typical bar-buddy you find everywhere that wants to play some "rawking songs", people whose main interest is bang the hottest chick around and get drunk as much as possible (who cares about musicianship, anyways).
    i know some of you think music is whats really important, but i'd be unable to write, play, think and feel music with those guys.

right now i am a little bit dissapointed, not cause of that particularly, but because i think theres no people around here that have the same music interests and that take this seriously, and also are not your typical rock-junkie. maybe you think im just a picky cynical person, but i think i cant be the only one like me in this moment and place.

this was a rant by Plucky (now take a rest).

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    A waste of your time, chalk it up to experience and walk away.

Mike

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Second. All those in favor?

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    oh. next please.

:meh:

5. If music wasn't 100% of the attitude and gig purpose, I wouldn't play.

6. sounds like a waste. play in a band that cares about their music.

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    As I have said before many times, when a musician agrees to go to an audition, in no way is that musician agreeing to take that chair just because he showed up. An audition goes both ways, you auditioned that "band", and they failed miserably.

Move on, and wait it out until the RIGHT situation comes along, and keep auditioning bands until you find the one you want

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I feel your pain... After 20 years of playing, I'm only just now beginning to understand that the people who manage to find some fufillment in music often fall into one (or more) of these categories -- 1. They find a creative voice that doesn't depend on a certain set of other people; 2. They find joy in simply playing their instrument, regardless of whether the music being played furthers or reinforces some artistic vision or idea of self-image; 3. They are just lucky because their tastes coincide with (or are adaptable to) what is "happening" at the moment and they find plenty of other players and listeners on the same wavelength. This kind of luck is often reserved for the younger cats, and almost always runs out eventually, leaving the player to "find themselves" in one of the other paths, or to float bitterly in the backwash of a wave that crested long ago.

I dunno if any of that is on-target, but I share some of your frustration and I'm trying to get a handle on it, too...

:)

9. ClarkW

ClarkW

Aug 1, 2003
    Provo, UT. USA
    I made the mistake of joining a band without having met or really played with any of the members but the drummer. He was ok. The real problem ended up being the keyboard player, who was also the manager. He had recruited me into the band, since he was the manager of another short-lived project I had been involved in.

Within just a few short weeks, I realized the guy was a very poor musician and a pretty disorganized manager. I think an audition or one or two practices with the band would have clued me in on that, and I regret having wasted a lot of time and effort learning so many songs for a band that I would end up quitting.

Consider yourself lucky that you got an idea of how this band operates before you made any committment. Do not, however, resign yourself to the fact that you won't find anyone who shares similar interests as you. I live in a pretty small town that has an almost non-existent club and bar scene (Provo, UT), but it was about the same time that I was preparing to quit the aforementioned band that I got called by a progressive rock band that has done a great job of fulfilling many of my musical needs. It took a long time waiting and nearly a dozen bands in three years, but I finally found a keeper (two, actually, but that's another story!)

10. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    How was the pot?

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Sounds like an inexperienced bunch.

Don't stick around - there is NO bigger waste of time than a band that can't run a practice properly.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Excellent point!!!!!

13. BassesOfDeath

BassesOfDeath

Sep 13, 2003
    That's bull****, I wouldn't play for them if I was you. You're probably over qualified anyway. :p

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Would you cite your source, please?

15. drop it like it's hot hot.

16. The voice of experience.......right on!

[​IMG]
    Treena

17. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Treena, you are truly the smiley queen.

Mike

18. hey treena you have 501 posts, is there a different smiley for each post?

19. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Munji-it's from Austin Powers. The first one.

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Thankew.