Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by nateo, May 13, 2005.

1. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Does anyone else spend hours building and refining jigs that you're only going to use once or twice? Last night I built a fingerboard radiusing jig (for use with my router) that will not only radius a fingerboard to 3", it'll also taper it so the nut end is thinner. This allows for a constant thickness flat edge to appear down the side of the fingerboard (mostly an aesthetic thing, I must admit) when it's cut to width.

I probably spent an hour getting the thing built and then another hour playing with it on scrap lumber. The worst part is that I'm planning on a complete rebuild it to make it much more precise now that I know the idea works.

And after all is said and done, I'm going to use it on a single fingerboard for an EUB. There may be another EUB somewhere down the road, but what are the odds that I'll still have the jig assembled by then? Slim to none, I'll bet.

If anyone needs a fingerboard radiused to 3" (with or without a taper) let me know. If I've got the tools, why not use 'em?

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Tempting I wish I could build an upright. I guess that radius could be used on an EUB?
  3. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I looked around and it seemed like a common upright radius, so I decided to use it. It's remarkable how curved it feels coming from a standard bass radius.

I'm curious as to how it's going to feel to play.

4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    You made a jig for compound radius??

You better show it to the 'public'!

Remember all the buzz about that being impossible without a huge sander? ;)
  5. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Well, it's not really for a compound radius, per se. It's more for a constant radius on a tapered board. My EUB project needs a fingerboard that holds a constant radius of 3" but that goes from around 1/4" thick to 3/4" thick.

You could do a fairly easy mod to make compound radii, though, by just radiusing a section at a time and then sanding out the lines between them.

If there's enough interest I'll post some pics when I'm done Mark II.

6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    You've got to do what you've got to do to make the "cut once" rule always applicable.
  7. I prefer the measure once, cut several times, each time smaller and smaller until it seems to be ok. Hack luthiery.
  8. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004

I have a quote that describes my building style:

"I do things by the pants of my ass"