Am I the only one??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ron Now, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I do not see what is so great about the Sansamp BDDI. I have had mine for years now (about 4) and other than a decent DI (although i prefer a mic'ed setup)I never found a good use for the unit.

I see alot of people who own them and rave about all the great tones and distortion that you can get out of the box. I personally feel it colors the tone too much and I could never get anything close to a good distortion. The distortion just sounds like a blown speaker to me, maybe I have a faulty unit or I just never figured out exactly how to use the unit properly, but I've tried everything.

Just want to know if anyone else had this view/problem (of a possible faulty unit), or maybe suggestions on settings where I could get a good sound that I might not have tried.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't totally share your opinion, but I agree with certain aspects of it. I find its lack of a mid control extremely frustrating since my tone relies on a fair amount of mids. I also think the drive sound leaves a lot to be desired. It's OK, but I could never get the full-on grind I get by combining my clean sound with my Keeley-modded Rat II. To me, it's trying to do too many things but doesn't do the things that are really important to me. I consider the BDDI a decent pedal but not a great one.
  3. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    if you read a lot, you'll find a ton of people loving it, hating it and thinking its just ok. I personally like it juuuust enough to own it, especially because I dont use my own rig a few times during the year and like to know how i'll sound when using a random combo amp at certain small-gig locations, as a portable preamp.

just remember that every pedal sounds different through different cabs. All cabs emphasize difference ranges in the frequency spectrum, so any effect run through it will ahve that part accentuated, and otehr parts scooped out. I found this out by practicing through headphones, my own rig, and running straight to a PA, and finding out how different i sounded with my effects in each situation. I eventually dumped most of my effects because of this and only compress and overdrive because I cant get a consistent sound if i dont have my own rig everywhere

i use it for a subtle grind, nothing over the top. its also not supposed to be an distortion, but an overdrive when you use it that way, so keep that in mind also. the MXR would be a better choice for a DI plus distortion in one unit.

hey, you might jsut not like it, don't feel ike you're supposed to because a lot of people do. check out the distortion mega thread tahts sticky-ed at the top of this forum, and check out a world of other pedals. its expensive but fun. hehe
  4. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    See I find that subtle grind sounds like a blown speaker to me (through any of my rigs) The best sound I've ever gotten out of the Sansamp was running it and a broken Korg distortion pedal direct into the board for recording a Sluge/Trash band I'm in (Mp3's at {the 7" was recorded this way}) As far as distortion I know the differnet extents of it, I can tell the sansamp wasn't a good high gain pedal, as it just doesnt have the capability to get that sound, or at least mine doesn't.
  5. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    ah ok.....hmmm that does sort of strange to me. i dont know what to say to that, other than just trying to get a chance to A/B it with another sansamp to see if it is defective or not.
  6. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Nope, you're not the only one to feel this way about it. A whole bunch of people have posted more or less the exact same thread as this.
    It does colour your tone, but you can limit how much you want it to do that with the blend knob.
    yes makes a terrible distortion pedal because- it's not a distortion pedal. It gives you some gritty overdrive but nothing I would describe as distortion like.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me, I don't own one because I usually have a half dozen other overdrives and distortion's on my board and my GK has a DI out, so it's really more redundant than anything. The sound I get from it is okay enough to MAYBE make it on a smaller pedalboard one day, but for me, that day is not now.
  8. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah, i've never liked the sansamp for the same reasons you don't
  9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    check out the new Sansamp paradriver. It's basically the BDDI plus mid controls, and minus the presence control.
    I generally just use it with the drive flat, but now I CAN use the drive/blend without losing the mids.
  10. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I use a Sansamp and a Hartke VXL. I think the VXL gets the job done for a lot cheaper.
  11. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I am one of the folks that liked the BDDI, but it certainly isn't good at everything. It isn't any different than any other stompbox in that if you have a problem with it you can get something else instead. I never found the mid control issue to be a problem. But I have used a lot of gear with no mid control and the BDDI lets you control mids by adjusting the low and hi relative to the fixed mid, and then making uyp the gain with the level control. Not sweepable, but it is adjustable in that manner.

My list of "pros" includes and decent Bassman and Fliptop sound, a reasonable rock amp/SVT sound, and a crazy clanky sound. The DI is better than a lot of dedicated DIs, it can run on phantom, and it plays nice with my passive and active basses.

My list of "cons" includes the lack of a gain boost on the XLR output, and the lack of an effect loop.

I've used mine in just about every position in the signal chain: up front as a boost/solo effect, at the end as an amp emulator, in the effect loop as a "channel 2", and direct into the effect return of my Clarus as an alternative front end.

Different strokes. But I'm glad I have mine.
  12. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey fretless, or anyone else who uses one, does the BDDI effect your tone when switched off? I used to have one a long time ago but cannot remember. I'm now seriously thinking about adding a programmable BDDI.
  13. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I really liked the sans amp with my old rig, it was never turned off.

Then I got a new amp. Now it collects dust. I dont want to sell it because its a nice thing to have in your arsenal.
  14. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I don't notice any problems with the bypass on the BDDI, but to be honest it is either in front of a string of efects where it might be off but there is a lot of other stuff going on, or it is in always-on mode.
  15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've had one for years and still love it.
    Most of the time it's at the end of the chain but it moves from time to time.
    I can get tons of mids and plain, full-on tubelike overdrive if I want too, although I rarely do.
    It's also the most simple tool you could think of to record a killer bass tone.
    My only complaint would be that it quickly gets hissy when you push up drive and presence at the same time.
  16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It is not true bypass. To my ears it dosen't colour the tone when off, but it does have a small but noticable boost in gain.
  17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A true bypass preamp is rarely a good idea.