1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I the only one.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by msaone, Mar 22, 2013.

1. msaone

msaone

May 13, 2012
    Just come back to playing this past year after a five year hiatus and I've always played GHS boomers. After wandering around here for a while, I feel really it of date.

Am I still cool if I stick with the boomers or should I try something else?

2. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Use what you like , peer pressure is overrated.

3. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    What do you like about Boomers and what do you wish they would do better? Also, what bass and style of music are you playing?

4. If you have to ask what other people think your opinion should be.....you're in trouble.

5. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    :spit::D

6. msaone

msaone

May 13, 2012
    Lol just asking opinions to see if there's anything else out there that might suit me. Don't think that puts me quite in trouble.

We're playing progressive rock. Instrumental ( think Steve vai etc) and I really like the brightness of thee strings.

7. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I love Boomers, especially when they go dead, and the alternate string most often recommended when I wonder what else might appeal to me are the GHS Pressurewounds.

8. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    If you wanna be like all the cool kids on TB, you should be looking for flats. :cool:

9. msaone

msaone

May 13, 2012
    Don't flats lack the brightness?

10. msaone

msaone

May 13, 2012
    Thanks. :)

11. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Flats are a hipster string. If you don't have the groove-cred to rock them it is a sure sign of a wanna be.

:bag:

12. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    I have old dead Boomers on my #1 bass and have for most of my playing days (about 20 years). Never found something that did as well as them.

...and yes, whatever you do, don't dis flats or P-basses on TB, or you may get banished.

13. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I agree with you all the way. There is just something in the way the keep the edge of a roundwound but gain some thud at the same time.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well, the Boomer guys in this thread seem to like them dead. My only problem with them is that they go dead too quickly. If I were famous, I would have a fresh set of them on my bass every night. But one night is about what it takes me to kill them.

15. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Well at least you know you always have buyers for your dead ones.

16. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    Perfect description of why I like them.

17. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    That may be why you don't see good comments on TB much. Also, Flea used to have ads everywhere so they were "cool" a few years back, but that kind of cache only lasts so long.

18. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    We should start a club, the Dead Boomers Society.

19. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Sorry, complete sarcasm on my part regarding the TB love affair with flats. Rock the boomas if you like 'um!

20. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I've come back to flats on some basses. Not because I'm a cool kid, but because modern amplification makes them viable.