1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I the only person who doesn't care much about neck specs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, Aug 20, 2019.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sure, I have my preferences (got very small hands so J width and 12" radius is my preference), but I also have basses with necks that don't reflect my preferences and I love them, too. Some have J width necks, some have P width necks, my short scales basses have very thin necks, my 5 has a gargantuan neck with a 2 inch nut. Neck shape doesn't bother me in the least, either. C, D V...couldn't care less. Maybe a Z shaped neck would bother me but I've never seen one :D About the only thing that bothers me is a 7 1/4" fretboard radius, and that's only because I like to bend strings sometimes, but I like really low action so I'll fret out if I bend too far. But while I wouldn't buy one for myself, using one is no problem...I just don't bend strings too far with them. I can even get used to high action if I have to, but since all my basses do low action, I guess I dodged a bullet.

I've found that I can get used to anything, even with my tiny hands. Got no problem going from a J width to a P width to my 5 to a skinny shorty width. And I could easily get used to a wide shorty neck as well. Some folks are a lot more particular about things like that, and that's cool since we have so many choices out there, and there's no real reason not to indulge your own specific tastes. But I do like the fact that I don't have to worry about finding a bass that plays to my own specific tastes, except that 7 1/4" radius, and that's been largely phased out over the years. It opens me up to a lot of really nice basses that I'd have to turn down otherwise, and it makes using rental basses or other people's basses much easier.

What say you? Are there any others out there who aren't picky about necks, or am I the only one left in the world?

2. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    @JimmyM you are not alone. Mine range from my Tune 5 string which has a neck like a pencil to a Surine 5 string that has a neck like a six and a lot of wood around the back. It doesn't really faze me to switch between the two and I often do.

DJ Bebop, gepettus and JimmyM like this.
  3. I prefer wider necks with the action not too low but yeah, not overly bothered.

CereBassum, elkkid2, Mili and 5 others like this.
  4. I’m with you. I certainly notice a difference in necks, but don’t have a preference. I prefer a longer radius fret board but it’s no deal breaker. As long as the fret ends are finished and smooth, I’m good to go.

5. noermaen

noermaen

Nov 4, 2011
    i hear ya. Never ever really cared about the necks on my fenders. switching from PB to JB: "oh, nice, narrow neck, easy to play" - switching from JB to PB: "nice, some real meat in the hands, feels so solid" and so on.

Have a JB with a U-Neck, a JB with a modern C Neck, i like both the same.

So, no, i can't understand people at all that are that picky about neck shapes.

6. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I don't care at all.

7. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    As long as the action is low I don't ever think about anything else concerning the neck.

The neck width of my 2012 SRX2EX2 is slightly wider than the neck of my 2018 SR400, yet both are Ibanez SDG bass guitars. I'm assuming they both have the same radius. Of the two, the SRX does seem easier to play.

My 2019 Fender Kingman, although short scale, is based on a Jazz neck. I like it alot.

And my '85 "Epicision" as I call it, an Epiphone P style bass with Explorer style headstock, has a great feeling neck. Who knows what the shape, radius, or nut width on the neck is, but I like that neck a lot. It actually has the easiest playing neck of all the basses I own. If I was going to get a custom bass, it's neck is the one I would want to copy dimensions from. It is also the only one piece maple neck with maple fretboard that I have in my collection of basses.

My 2000 Cort Curbow Sig Series is the only neck I own that I don't like. And not because of any dimensions, but because it just doesn't feel right. They went to all the trouble to make the neck from 3 pieces of maple, then pop a fretboard made from "Ebonol" on it. Let's put fake wood on top of real wood. Go figure.

8. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    Here's my favorite basses...
    #1... 1979 Music Man Sabre.
    The rest, in no particular order...
    Electra X-610 Outlaw
    SSD (Spector) NS4-CR-FM
    '86 Kubicki, Ex Factor
    Aria Pro II, SB-1000
    '67 Bartell, "Black Widow" (when I wanna play fretless)
    2006 Sandberg VM-4 Masterpiece (I'm selling this, only because I feel that I don't "deserve" it as much as someone who will USE it. I will replace it with a Team Built, when/IF She sells. Who knows, I'm pretty fickle. She may just STAY)

All very different from one another. But... as I play ALONE, at home alot. these are the MOST FUN (for Me).

When I play OUT, or record (Then the MIA Fenders say "hello"), this changes a bit. But... The SABRE is ALWAYS #1, in ALL situations.

TaDa!!!

(EDIT) P.S.
    I'm on a Mad Hunt for a Big Al 4H.
    If You have one that "sits", I may toss money, and/or trades at You...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    GonzoBfiddy, DJ Bebop and JimmyM like this.
  9. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    My preference is a j modern C but I’m beginning to think that it’s because of inexperience more than anything else. The longer I play the more adaptable I seem to get. I’m laid up with a bad shoulder and haven’t been able to practice properly for weeks. Last night the physio gave me the go ahead to get back into it. The bass I thought was too heavy with a wide neck and I was looking to sell seemed just fine to me. Obsession takes over when we over think things. Humans are pretty adaptable. We have to be or we wouldn’t still be here.

10. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Since day one neck specs have never been an interest to me. I only have one preference, a rosewood fretboard. And even this isn't a deal breaker if the bass sounds good enough.

11. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I don't really care neither. As long as it's five strings and low action. I play with a low action too.
    My Sadowskys have a wider neck than my Stingray5, but I don't really care. Everytime I play on one of my basses, I feel comfortable playing it.

DJ Bebop and JimmyM like this.
  12. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I can play anything, but my preference is a P spaced 5 that’s J thick.
    I can turn my brain off and muscle memory takes over.
    If some strange bass is lively and has a voice I can feel thru the neck then I’ll consider buying it.

13. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi JimmyM :)

Yes! :laugh:

Should be a poll!!!!!!

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

14. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    @JimmyM Like you I prefer a flatter fingerboard, as it just feels more sure-footed. I had my fretless Ray plekked to 12", and the fretless Warwick Corvette is 20", so pretty much flat. But nut width, profile depth and shape just don't bother me in the least - the two mentioned above could not be more different but I switch without thinking.

15. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

I'm the same. I have a preference for a fatter P neck if I really had to choose, but I have no problem playing on a neck with any profile/nut width that I've ever tried. Annoyingly that makes buying basses that bit easier...

DJ Bebop, Mark Plays Bass and JimmyM like this.
  16. MattFrost

MattFrost

Jul 16, 2019
    I think different neck profiles can inspire different kinds of bass lines. I tend to come up with slightly different on my P than on my J for example, and I don't think it's just because of the tonal differences.

Also, when I switched from my first bass, a Mexican Fender Urge (short scale) to an American J, the distance between frets felt 'unnecessarily' big. Now I don't mind it anymore. Whenever I play a short scale though, I do feel quite at home instantly (as far as scale is concerned). And I have long fingers, so it's not necessarily a small hands thing..

17. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I'm extremely particular about neck width/depth/shape. Several months ago I ditched what had turned out to be the best-sounding bass EVER... in large part because its too-wide, awkwardly-shaped neck bugged the heck out of me. A $5,000 bass shouldn't feel repulsive to the touch!

Right now I have more than a dozen basses of various shapes and sizes that are all very likeable. My favorite of favorites (in terms of the neck profile) is a 2007 Lightwave bass which has a simply magical feel - it is SO comfortable for me that I can look past the fact that it's a long-scale (And I generally abhor the long scales, always have...) I'm actually in the process of negotiating with a maker in Europe to build me one of theirs in a shorter scale with a similar neck profile. If that works out as planned, I can finally clean house and let go of all the old favorites...

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's interesting...I can't say I ever thought about it that way, but I suppose it's working for you, so that's the important thing.

DJ Bebop and MattFrost like this.
  19. Couldn't care less about neck specs. When I started out the local store had 1 bass, much the same story elsewhere. Folks just played what they had.

Seems a world away from today, folks now have a list of excuses why they can't play bass

Shlabotnik, DJ Bebop, Slater and 7 others like this.
  20. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I definitely have a preference for jazz sized necks..... even my P has a jazz sized neck .. but i still like my 8 string which is my only non jazz sized neck, and quite a bit wider obviously. At a festival in June i used a borrowed Pbass with normal P sized neck for four gigs over three days and didn't really notice it.....but i still prefer jazz sized necks. :D

ELG60 likes this.