Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I the only who who doesn't like Jazz Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeRules00, Mar 28, 2002.

1. I've been looking around the forums a bit, and I'm getting the feeling I'm probably the only guy around who doesn't like Jazz Basses.

I've played a bunch at Mars (I go out there just about every weekend) and they just seem lacking compared to other basses, specifically P-Basses.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's a Jazz Bass that rules. It sounds as good as it looks.

[​IMG]

3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    On the other hand, here's a P-bass that doesn't rule, but is OK.

[​IMG]

4. I think you just may be the only one! LOL.

5. I prefer a P bass over the jazz, but that didn't stop me from getting a jazz. :D

Munji, that's a sweet jazz you got there. Gotta love that quilted maple.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I hate Jazz basses. Never bought one. Played on one and hated it. Jazz Bass V too. I love the Precision basses much better. 'Specially the 50th anny.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Naw, P-basses blow (except that one up there).

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nothing does it for me like a P-bass, in terms of looks tone and playability. To my ears, the big meaty P tone is the real bass sound. I'm still looking for the perfect 5-string P-bass (the Lull P5 is close, but has narrow string spacing at the bridge).

Roger Sadowsky is making a 4-string P-bass, but I called his shop and sadly they do not make a 5-string. :(

9. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    I don' like 'em. They're weak and trebly. I want a P Bass

EDIT: Fuzz, have you tried Warmoth? I think they can do a 5-string P

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    HA! Those monster pickups and 18-volt electronics in that FMT make it anything but "weak and trebley". HA!

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I dig the jazz bass. I prefer it over a p-bass. A p&J style bass however is the best of both worlds.. It all depends on the type of basses you've played..

12. Fuzzbass

LOL... I often say that the twangy Jazz is nothing more than a baritone Stratocaster. ;)

I'll check into that! Thanks for the suggestion.

13. Weak?????

I'm not going to give you crap for having your opinion cos everyone has their own, but I for one, am just beginning to discover the ful tonal and playable capabilities of my Jazz.

14. Fuzzbass

We're just having fun, man! :)

15. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Try the Modulus VJass. It's awesome.

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    not to be rude, but the jazz bass is the bass. if you don't like the jazz i am afraid you have to reconsider your opinion. i am a P bass guy at heart, but the jazz is an absolute improvement. and it's the more articulated and followed design in the bass world. guitar player has the Strato, bass player has the jazz. and i'd kill to have on of those jazz V FMY Munji posted. but as always i live in the third world of music playing and one of those beauties will never arrive here at an affordable price. even if this is the jazz:

[​IMG]

17. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Weak and trebly???

The last bass I bought was a Geddy Lee sig Jazz and it is not weak or trebly.
    As a matter of fact is was the first Jazz bass I had ever played and it's great. Before I bought this bass all I had was a Conklin GT-7, Kubiki Ex-Fafctor and an old Squire P-Bass. The Jazz just topped off my Arsenal

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I hate Jazz basses... they are for the meek and timid.

:(

p.s. don't look at my profile... lies, all lies!

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have never played a Jazz! I have always hated the shape believe it or not. I have had a Fender P-Bass for 12 years now and love it!!

But, you know what. I'm now looking at buying a fretless and I don't wanna spend a lot of money in case I don't get on with it. I now want a MIM Fretless Jazz!!!! I've takend a real liking all of a sudden to the shape. I also heard one played (actually a fretless MIM that I was looking at - some kid came in got a demo, tried it and bought it!!!) and to be honest it sounded great!!!

I think I'll get one over the next few months.

So, JoeRules00, up until this year I was in the same camp, as you - I really didn't like 'em. But now I've changed my tune!!!

And as for that quilted maple job - do you think you can get a finish like that on a MIM Jazz???:D

20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Man you guys are all nuts :D

I prefer the P over the J. I still own one J today and have owned one other in the past. Put it this way, I love everything about my J until I plug it in. Then I go plug in any of my three Ps and go "yeah, that's what I was looking for".

Sometimes I think about just popping the neck off my J and slapping it on one of my Ps. At least that way I can get that sweet neck under my fingers :cool:

I agree that for articulate upper register work, the J rules over the P but when I need in your chest thump, I have never found a J that could do it quite right. Or to put it another way, it might come close but then why bother when a P can do it with no diddling, just plug it in and turn it up.

It really does come down to taste and religion, no more, no less. You can argue all day long and noone is going to budge!!!

BTW Munji, anything with 5 strings,a maple top and a preamp aint a REAL Jazz Bass anyway...