1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I the unluckiest bassist alive?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ricardo basso, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Ricardo basso

Ricardo basso

Sep 15, 2012
    Before I go completely out of my mind, your thoughts please.
    18 months ago I purchased a Little MarkIII
    and NY121.
    Plugged in and switched on, with passive bass, new leads and cables, no clipping.
    Big fuzz and then power cut out.
    Switched on again and same thing, distorted signal, power cut out.
    Company sent me new LM3.
    Over the next year, signal distortion would occur intermittently, sometimes a fluttering in power up before I played a note, when setting level on output pot.
    LM3 went back to company for repair three times without successfully repairing.
    They sent me a new one, I just switched it on, immediately I heard fluttering and in practice I heard a brief click/pop.
    Is this normal? am I unlucky? fussy?
    Is it the Cabinet???!!!
    Am I losing my marbles.

2. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Have you tried it with a different speaker cable and cabinet?

3. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    It very well could be something in the cabinet, like a bad solder joint in the crossover or damaged voice coil, or speaker cable shorting out the amp, especially if it's the only common variable between the failed amp heads.

Ricardo basso likes this.
  4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    What is your line voltage?

5. Ricardo basso

Ricardo basso

Sep 15, 2012
    Tried the previous amps with multiple cables and leads, but unfortunately had no access to another cab.
    This would have been a sensible test I must admit.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  6. Ricardo basso

Ricardo basso

Sep 15, 2012
    This is now my concern, it is the only common variable between the three amps.
    I will continue to test to see if the intermittent fault occurs with more frequency before pursuing the company again. Thanks for the advice.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  7. Ricardo basso

Ricardo basso

Sep 15, 2012
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm in the UK. So I do believe 240v?

8. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Sorry, I meant does the wall actually give you the correct power.
    UK is 240 volts at 50 cycles.
    I've run into as low as 110 Volt AC in the US when it should have been 120.
    Sometimes a low voltage condition can cause problems.
    Also, I haven't owned one of these in years; is there a voltage selector switch on the back?

9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Break the problem down and test each component separetly.

Test the NY121 into something else. Test the LM3 on it’s own.

Yes, it could be the cabinet - loose connection somewhere, an impedance/crossover issue that is affecting the amp. If the cables are speakon and not Neutrik, try a better cable.

Bad line power can introduce all kinds of noises. Try on another circuit in a different room. Even better, take the bits somewhere else to test them

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  10. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Maybe it's just bad luck

But to make you feel better I've hated the sound and overheated every backlined Mark bass I've touched.

So literally can't stand the look or sound of the brand. After having one shut off multiple times at a show. Literally put my foot through that thing.

EatS1stBassist and BOOG like this.
  11. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    I may be a bit partisan about Markbass but it seems that troubleshooting before badmouthing is the correct sequence. It's just how my engineering mind works.

12. You may have a faulty crossover or tweeter in your cab. This sort of thing is known to wreak havoc with class D amps. Ask Agedhorse. He can explain.

13. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I suspect bad mains power. I had Markbass stuff for several years before I flipped to GK. The Markbass stuff was rock solid. You also need to try another speaker.

14. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    it sounds very much like mains power, but then it would only occur at your house. Is that the case?

If so: did you ever notice lights burning brighter for a short while or other appliances acting off? Any Poltergeists? Power lines over the house, or power line conversion transformers next to the house?

Anyway, this sort of thing is an ellimination game. Try the cab and amp seperately, test the amp at different locations.

15. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    It's interesting that in the UK and in Europe Markbass is seen as a reliable brand. Maybe they have issues with their 110V versions?

In this case, if different heads keep failing with the same cab, it's the cab. Basic fault-finding.

16. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Trouble-shooting 101.

After several hundred similar-sounding troubleshooting episodes, my money is on a problem with the cab.

17. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    i get what you're saying but, .......
    Accepting from manufacturers sub standard products only perpetuates the issue of quality control failing and unreliable equipment for the user/consumer. If a product is not reliable and/or habitually fails I am not going to purchase it or recommend it. Also, I am going to discourage it from people that I care about or have similar interests so that they don't have to deal with wasting their money and/or getting frustrated with gear that doesn't perform AS EXPECTED.

18. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    This really is turning into a Markbass-haters' thread. Hey can we run a thread about playing Gibsons through Markbass amps? That should be epic...

Wisebass, TrevorR, PaulJSmith and 2 others like this.
  19. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    you're right...

to the OP... it's broke. go get a new one, again.

20. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Something similar happened to me with a Hartke TX600 bass amp head ... They sent me another one and it was DOA right out of the box .. sold it for a loss and never looked back.

EatS1stBassist and BOOG like this.