1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I the victim of E*ay fraud…

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Envincibal, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Envincibal

Envincibal Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Philly, PA
    Hey, I’m hoping to get some opinions on a bass I sold on Ebay.
    I recently sold a Fender P-bass Deluxe in very good condition for 750+15 for shipping; the actual item ID is 250383372110 (I hope its ok to post that). I purchased the bass used about 4 months ago, and I’m really not a 4-string guy, which is the only reason I sold it. What little playing I did with it, the bass was great.

Now, a week after the buyer received the bass, I get a msg from the buyer:

I have bad news. I have been unsuccessfully trying to adjust the string spacing on your Silver Fender Deluxe Precision Bass. Finally, in frustration, I took the bass to my local Fender dealer. I asked them to put on a new set of strings and do a standard setup for me. Well, they experienced the same problem, so they called Fender. Turns out that the neck of this bass originally came from Fender on a GOLD body, not the Silver body I received from you. Maybe you experienced the problem and just dumped the bass on eBay.
    There is apparently no solution but to either replace the neck, or fill in the screw holes for the bridge and redrilling new screw holes in the proper location (1/16 in. to the bass side of the body)
    Bummer! That will solve the playability issue; but, unfortunately, destroy the value of the bass.
    This is indeed a real shame because I like the neck profile. This is not my only bass, so I need a similar set-up on my basses.
    Cost est. $100.
    Suggestions?

My first response was to help the guy out since I had no idea of the bass; so I offered to $50 to help with the problem, but I wanted a receipt (seems fair to me, though I really don’t think I have any obligation to help with his claim above; I posted the serial # to the bass and he could have looked up the info). His response is that he wants $75 and never offered me an estimate or repair bill – sounds very flakey to me.

So, my questions are:
    - does his claim hold any water (about each fender bass being fit uniquely for each neck)? I find that hard to believe, but then again...
    - Would re-drilling holes in the bass to move the bridge 1/16” devalue it? I swear that I’ve read about many people completely changing their bridge, and it doesn’t seem to hurt the value at all (I can’t imagine that every single bridge made will fit every single bass perfectly) – I could see his point if it were a vintage instrument. Would it really cost $100 to re-drill a couple of holes (I think that’s insane: $50 I can see, but $100, come on).
    - I would also like to believe that since he got the bass for a total of $765, he has a very good deal already (again, I provided all the info I had about the bass in the auction).

Because of his second response (expecting me to pay $75 without any receipt), I’m inclined to tell him that he’s on his own.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Jon

2. Clank

Clank

Jan 7, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    I'd tell him to pound sand. If just for the "I need a similar set-up on my basses." line. Sounds like a scam to me.

3. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    ********. He's lying to you, about everything.

4. Envincibal

Envincibal Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Philly, PA
    I am the seller of the bass (same profile name on e*ay, and you can see my feedback is free and clear) and I had no idea about the neck and after his msg, I immediately offered to help offset his costs. If I had known about the issue I would have fully disclosed it - I'm not out to cheat anyone, and I certainly don't want to be taken for a ride. Its that I've read too many stories about buyer's remorse, and can't help to think that may be the case here - I'm only asking for proof, and even then, I disclosed all I knew about the bass.

5. well I say just PM it out and see if you can meet in the middle

6. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    After reading both threads it sounds like you both got screwed.

I'd offer him a refund. Seems like the best solution to me. Sell the bass to someone else.

7. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    if you weren't aware of the problem when you originally purchased
    this bass, and you weren't aware when you sold it, then ethically,
    you are not at-fault. it's just unfortunate bad luck for both of you.

over in the new owner's thread, bongomania recommended he take it
    to a good luthier for a neck heel / pocket fine tuning. if alignment is
    off 1/16" at the bridge, it would most likely be fixable @ the pocket.
    with a good luthier, new owner should wind up with a pretty good bass.

new owner needs to get the work done, send you a copy of the receipt,
    which you verify with the luthier. then if you want, reimburse him for
    the amount you feel is fair.

8. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    It's been a staple of Fender quality since day 1 to have neck shift and remounting the bridge has been a solution for decades. This neck shift can be seen on top dollar Fender Custom shop basses. It's fine for Fender so it's not a flaw in their eyes.

Also Fender has a history of making parts basses out of seconds and it's not uncommon to have a part come from one guitar and used on another so the silver/gold thing is meaningless. The most valuable pre CBS basses often are defective sunbursts that have simply been sprayed over again with a solid color.

Fender does not fit each neck to a particular body. The original Fender necks were disposable and designed to be replaced without any fitting needed.

He's complaining about Fender in general, I don't see why that needs a refund from you.

9. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    If the neck is misaligned, that's something you could have and should have caught, so for that I'd offer to cover. As for it being $100 to fix, people can charge whatever they want but I'd tell him to find another repairman because that's ridiculously high for fixing some holes. In essence, all that's involved are some toothpicks and glue. Re-drilling holes in the bass will devalue it since that indicates an issue with it at some point in time, fixed or not. How much it's been devalued will be determined by whoever buys it next.

As for the neck and body mismatch, if they are both American made and the bass was listed as such, there's no error. Unless you do extensive research and bug the hell out of the Fender CS, you're probably not going to figure that out.

As far as dollar amounts go, you're on your own to figure out what's fair. Definitely get proof such as receipts and pictures first, but if I was that guy I'd be glad to provide them if I knew I was getting a little help from the guy I bought the bass from.

10. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Please. Seller said the bass played fine, while in the other thread the buyer says the bass is misaligned to the point where it is unplayable. One of them is lying, and in these cases it is almost invariably the seller.
    Evilcibal - Don't give him a penny.

11. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    In looking at the pics in the eBay ad it is apparent that there IS a problem with string alignment. The D & G strings are way off to the outside edge of the limits. They are actually crossing over the outer poles on the pups.

I would say that in all fairness, the seller should refund the bass or offer a HUGE settlement. If the buyer is willing to settle for $100 and be happy, the seller should give the $100 and be VERY happy. The buyer is being cool about this. Play ball.

12. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    The neck shift is clearly visible in the photo, many Fender players play basses just like this for years and never even notice. If you bend strings upwards only it isn't a problem.

Complaining about Fender neck shift is like complaining about single coil hum IMHO.

5802_1.

13. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    End of thread.

14. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Maybe I missed something, but how is your repairman going to simply move the bridge over. Doesn't that bass have string through body? The through body holes/string ferrules would have to move too. I don't know why you can't simply loosen the neck screws and pull the neck into place. At any rate, it was clearly visible in your ebay ad.

15. I don't think anyone in the peanut gallery is going to have the final word on this.

The best thing to do now would likely be for both parties to take it off-board and work it out.

16. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    Here's a high end super expensive custom shop Fender with the same issue on the Fender site.

[​IMG]

17. Bluejay

Bluejay

May 12, 2008
    Well, I'm here. I'm the buyer. to sum up... There are three issues:
    1) Look carefully at the photo posted above, i.e. The Inca Silver Am. Presision Bass, 1997?). Looking at the bass, as in the photo, even with the maximum adjustment to the string spacing its not possible to get it right.
    Simply, the bridge needs to be moved. Trouble, the new hole will overlap with the old holes (moved 1/16 inch). Did some one mention tooth picks? On a clean Am. Deluxe...doesn't sound very 'Deluxe' to me... maybe an a $400, junker bass. Yours.
    2) Tell me who wants to buy this Am. Deluxe Bass with mis-matched serial numbers and repaired with toothpicks. Hell...one can buy a nearly unused Am. Precision bass from 2004 -2006 on ebay almost any day of the week for $750. This is an Am. Deluxe, not some MIM imported cross your fingers and hope for the best Mexi-Bass! Damn!!!
    3) Now I'm supposed to find a good Luthier, but not the one My actual Fender Dealer uses (cause he does good work and expects to be paid for it). I'm supposed to drive all over the country to find that one Luthier who will fix my new main bass with toothpicks for $12. Is that the story???

Well, as I'm writing this, do you want to know how I feel. The seller knew damned well there were issues. He says he just bought it, 4 month ago I think he said. He bought a top of the line American Deluxe Precision Bass and just decided he's a '5 string kind of guy', so I think I'll sell it on eBay. Oh, well. That's just BS. PERIOD!
    You know what ENVINCIBAL, you can keep your lousy $50 and you know what. This won't be the last bass I buy, but I can tell you one thing. This is what is ruining eBay...this kind of BS. I'm sick to death of, 'Gee, I just didn't notice'. Sure man.
    Go ahead on with your bad self, and yes, keep your lousy $50. Wouldn't want to see you go without, and I surely wouldn't want to see anyone take advantage of you.
    See ya. Bye!
    Jay

18. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Loosen the neck screws, pull the neck into place, and re tighten the screws. You are making way too much out of the misalignment.

19. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Dude, instead of b****ing to everyone here, go to PayPal and open a dispute. This is the proper way to handle a dispute, not crying to everyone here. You'll get your money back and the seller will get the bass back. Easy. Simple. But it sounds like you want something more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.