am i the youngest bassist here?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by robe, Jan 3, 2004.

1. robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Hi everybody,

I had been wanting to get a bass for about 4 months and i finally got one.I have been playing acoustic for about 3 months and i am getting relly good. But i just wanted to get that bass tone and the bottom end that you cant get with an acoustic guitar.

I picked up a yamaha rbx460 that had a few tiny tiny dings on th body + 2 straps, Big rectangular hard case and a lead all for $170 on ebay( ozzy dollars)

Does anyone know if this model is better than the rbx 170?

Finally i am 13 years old and was just wondering wat i should start to learn as a beginer?

And is there n e one else in this forum around the same age as me?
  2. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    i started playin since i was 10...i took up bari sax as a 7 ytear old in my elementry jazz band then i started to love the low deep notes and took up the double bass and bass guitar
  3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    No, but you have the best spelling.

I started when I was 10, and am 29 now.
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I started at 13. Never too young or too old.
  5. I'm 16... if that counts for anything?

I've been playing since I was 15 so I have zero seniority over the local elderly's. ;)
  6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "What should I start to learn as a beginner?"

Definitely blues and classic rock. Even if you don't like them. Blues is pretty much the basics of everything. If you can play blues well enough to support a band, that's your first major milestone to becoming a virtuoso.

How to do that? Listen and play along to the radio and as many records/CD's as possible. BUT, don't grow up to depend on it. Go to a lot of jam sessions, and play out as much as possible, with as many different musicians as possible (with varying levels of skill).

Once you're comfortable with blues and classic rock and you feel your ear starting to develop, then proceed to 70's fusion like Stanley Clarke, Jaco, and so on. Don't let the wierd chords throw you, just keep up as best you can and use it to develop speed and strength in your fingers.

If you get an opportunity to play a fretless or especially an upright, do it. That's the quickest and most efficient way to develop speed and power.

Then after that (or at the same time), try reading up on some music theory, and if you feel like you understand the stuff, try using it to compose some tunes.

If you do all those things, you'll set yourself on a path and only you can determine where it will lead, but that should be a good start to get your fundamentals in shape.

The best advice I can offer is: practice, practice, practice.
  7. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    I started at 13...

You might as well start digging into some of the easier 8 bar jaco stuff, IE wiggle waggle...

Learn your scales, inside and out.

seungkoo, you played bari at 7? That's awesome :p
  8. well i started almost 2 years ago...when i was 15..i was playing piano before...not very good at all...the best i could play was lean on me lol...but that was when i started yr11 (im aussie as well) and i just completed my hsc and i got 79 out of 100 (performance is out of 70 and theory is out of 30) and my theory isnt that good :p but my guess it that i got about 68 for my performance...but my beset advice is to your ears..have idols..and have goals...when i started to play my song list for the hsc was:

play that funky music
    suck my kiss
    and killing in the name...

all relativly easy stuff
    but i finished up playing:

Portrait of tracy, Jaco Pastorius..Hint if you go on to do your hsc learn this will earn 100% if you play it properly
    easily and higher ground, Red hot Chili Peppers
    The Awakening by les claypool.

remember...listen to everything..old and new...dont change your music taste according to other people..i know this as i just finished school...your mates will see your new tastes in music if it be jazz, funk, blues, disco or whatever.. and they will say "dont listen to that it is old" and dont listen to them...if i did that i would have never discovered geat artists such as charles mingus, john coltrane, stevie ray vaughn, louis armstrong, led zeppelin, bootsy collins, stevie wonder, stu hamm, steve vai, joe satriani, jaco pastorius and the list goes to sum it all up (even though ive probably said it 5 times already) open your music as well as your life...and dont force it onto anyone else...i tried this and it just pissed ppl off :p

cheers heath...

if you wanna talk my msn is
  9. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    For a beginner, here's my recommendations:

Get a teacher, and have the patience and willingness to work through all the boring crap you don't really want to spend time on. In other words, start from the beginning and learn the fundamentals. Learn to read sheet music. Learn the fretboard and all the scales in every position and direction.

And of course, learn to play by ear. Learn to play music that you like, but don't ignore the fundamentals of the lessons. Pick a few songs and have your teacher explain their structure and theory.

Practice as much as you can stand, and then practice some more.

Finally, do as I say, not as I do!
  10. I'm 16 and I started when I was, I've been playing for 10 years...I feel old
  11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Yea, there are a lot of people younger than you here. I think my brother is a registered user and he's 12. But you spell like the youngest if that is any consolidation. JKJKJKJKJKJKJKJKJK!:p
  12. I started bass when I was 15, I'm 16.

Soon to be 17 2/28.
  13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  14. 13 when i started soon to be 15.

a good way to see how your playing style and technique change as you get experience is to record some stuff you made up everyonce in a while, i listened to some recordings on when i first started and all i did was do really fast notes in the major scale but with my thumb!?(not slapping either) have no idea how i pulled that off or why but it was neat to see how much of a difference one year can make.
  15. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Wiyth regard to your bass, it is better than a 170, generally higher numbers = better bass with yamaha.

Welcome to TB
  16. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i started when i was 8 or 9, im 14 now. ill take second youngest, even tho i know freaky fender is younger than me...
  17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I started when I was 13... ah yes... 13 with a Baltic Blue Squier P... that thing looked huge on me...
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, Robe.

I know of at least one member on the board younger than 13, but you are one of the youngest.

I started when I was 12, but that was almost 25 years ago!:D
  19. i started when i was 13, and now i am 15...

...welcome to talkbass
  20. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I was gonna say something to that effect, but then I noticed he's from Australia. I usually give the "foreigners" a break on their spelling and grammar.

;) :)

Welcome to TalkBass, robe!