Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I too old for this... thing :D

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by artistanbul, May 30, 2003.

1. Nuh-uh.

36 vote(s)
    78.3%
  2. Uh-huh.

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Depends.

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Uh?

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    I got my bass at last. :D And I played something resembling the beginning of smoke on the water. I am in love with this sound.

Anyway I was thinking, am I too old to learn bass? I am 24 and I have no note based music background, all I have is some percussion background.

No matter what, I am determined to play it. Cos even if I just hold it in my hand and finger the string, so be it! I'll be happy. I guess
    I wonder what you think.

umm.. yeah thats it.

2. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Make MUSIC my friend,have fun:)

3. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I started playing more seriously when I was 26! I'm pretty good now at 29-- I'd played a bunch of guitar before, but always knew I was a bass player. I guess that's like those people who are men in women's bodies and vice versa-- but I just knew years and years before that my instrument was the bass.

4. You think 24 is too old?

50 isn't too old! Just play. No one's ever too old.

Play at your own speed; this instrument will bring you much joy.

Welcome to bass playng.

Mike :)

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Playing a musical instrument is something you can enjoy for your whole life (unless you become incapacitated in some way). It's never too late.

6. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Yeah, it's not just about being in bands or writing music-- it's about the satisfaction and confidence that it gives you, no matter how you do it. It sounds cheesy, but I think that sometimes people get too caught up in their own ideas of success or making it and lose sight of the fact that just playing an instrument can in whatever capacity can enrich your life.

7. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Yeah, it's not just about being in bands or writing music-- it's about the satisfaction and confidence that it gives you, no matter how you do it. It sounds cheesy, but I think that sometimes people get too caught up in their own ideas of success or making it and lose sight of the fact that just playing an instrument can in whatever capacity can enrich your life.

8. Dead is to old, that's about it.

9. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    I definitely think so. In fact I never felt so happy and in control of my life for soo long. Its a postponed dream come true for me.

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I dunno, plenty of artists have carried on releasing albums long after they die :D

11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hey, too old? I started at 26. Go for it, you won't regret it! :)

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I was 27 when I started playing bass. Of course I had been playing trombone in school and bands since I was 9.:D I'd say if you think it's something you want to do, go for it. The best piece of advice I can give you is, FIND A TEACHER who knows what he/she is doing. You will learn alot faster and enjoy playing it alot sooner that way.:bassist:

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    True.

14. definitely.... i think its really silly the amount of guys that come on saying - "am i too old for bass?". Really. it IS stupid.

You're NEVER too old to learn.

It's great to see new guys on the board, and I lvoe seeing ambition and enthusiasm, but really. 'too old for this or that' posts are bugging me...

Edit(BB)"Defiantly"? Microbass, it is hard to believe the English language originated in the vicinity of your country, no kiddin'.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    People,

remember to click "post reply" instead of "new thread" to make sure people know what the heck you're talking about.

Makes the forum neater too.

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    You're never too old. :)

17. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hmm. Maybe some people are too old after all. :p

18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I wish I was a too old 24. I passed that mark 8 years ago! It's not how many years you got left, it's what you do in those years.

19. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    like i said dont laugh but i thought i was to old. i started when i was 15, and i started cuase i love listening to bass and i wanted to prove to myself i could.

the reson i thought i was to old was.... i would see people yonger, people older, people my age who all played better then i ever thought i ever could. this is still true, but the diffrents is, once i started i dident care how long it would take but i would be the best i could be for me. now im weeks away from 17 i would never think of stopping

so long story short go for it. and dont do it for them do it for you.

good luck

20. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I don't know artistanbul. You might want to shorten up your strap so that you don't ding up your Bass on your walker.
    :rolleyes: