Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I too old to learn bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fivesevenoh, Sep 23, 2003.

1. I know this a dumb question. and the answer will probably be "youre never too old to learn". but It just seems that most bassists learned at a younger age. and have been playing for years. and I am just starting.

2. Never too old, to learn how to play.
    There is never a shortage of things to keep experiencing, learning, and eventually integrating your playing.
    I have a great time now between dividing practice time between my newfound love(Piano), and keeping up with Bass.
    I'd recommend finding a good teacher....take your time trying out Basses,

I'm almost 40 and am finally going back to school starting Wednesday. Unix classes and Class Piano....I have both a coding and composing bug.
    I'm finally acting upon thee two wishes/wants.

Good Luck...LenG

blkpwdr likes this.
  3. rad. thanks.

I have a fernandes 5 string. I really like it.

4. Detritus

Detritus

Aug 18, 2003
    Hampshire
    I agree with Fretless. I am 52 and just started to learn to play the bass 6 months ago (my first instrument). Getting a good teacher was my best move - I really enjoy learning and practicing. In some ways it doesn't matter whether I get 'there' as I am enjoying the process.:)

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    and you are only 20! sheesh :p you are still young.

Disclaimer: I'm only 18. ;)

6. yeh. hehe.

but I am at the age where I have no idea what I want to do with my life. I would really like to pursue something in music. but I feel that I am a step behind everyone else.

7. I will put it this way.. I started 3 years ago and am two years older than you... I am in a locally successful band that is considered pretty damn young for what we have achieved.. What you need to do is have a bass, an amp, an instructor and about an hour a day of practice that is not you noodling and playing songs.. you need to practice things you can't do.... like proper techniques and learning theory. It does not take many hours to practice and get good quickly if you practice properly (no noodling around)... I don't stick to this 100% cause the band takes up a lot of my practice time, but when I do get my hour in a day I notice improvement right away... I know a guitar player that has played two years, he puts in hours everyday of solid musical practice and he is getting great already.. Never think you are too old to start learning because you can be very good in short time with a bit of drive and motivation.. If you don't feel like putting in your time.. do it anyway and then the next day you will thank me haha.

Mike

GoLeafsGo likes this.
  8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Steve Khan began playing guitar at about 20.
    Check him out!

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Garry Lowe from Big Sugar started playing bass when he was 20 (..I think)

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I assumed 57 years old - from the username and this thread title.

As in Five Seven Oh!

Oh I'm 57 !! ;)

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's too late to start... if you're going to dog yourself with comparisons to people who started at the age of three. I started when I was 14 or 15 and remember wish at several points that I'd started younger. However, time wishing was time wasted, while time practising is what keeps me growing and developing even now.

While you're going to miss out on some of the things you might have been able to do if you'd started earlier - for example, my school had a wealth of musical opportunities that really benefited me - you've also got advantages... extra years of life experience and probably more funds and independence than the average 14 year old.

Don't give up now... you'll only come back to it in ten years time wishing you'd started as young as 20 ;)

Wulf

Imaginary Pony and blkpwdr like this.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

You're still alright even if you are 57. ;)

13. hahaha I'm not 57.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Maybe you should get a different user name then? ;)

15. haha. no way. i love my 570 crew.

16. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I started at 34. Many here started later. Time doesn't mean a thing. It's what you do with it.

17. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    No.........your way to old.:spit:

:D :D :D

Later_Peter likes this.
  18. :( haha

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Man...& you're were sounding like Jaco on that demo!
    (But you were already a musician prior to bass)
    I kick myself for wasting so much time(i.e. bad/ineffective practice habits when I was just starting out).

"Time doesn't mean a thing. It's what you do with it".

...now that sounds like a Fuqua-ism.

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

One should choose to play an instrument because one wants to. Age isn't a factor in the decision, unless you have hopes to "make it big" in the youth dominated POP music sweepstakes.

I am an "old guy", I play because I like it.

Later_Peter likes this.