1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I Too Perfectionist?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by davewisay, Mar 21, 2006.

1. davewisay

davewisay

Mar 21, 2006
    essex, england
    Does anyone else have this problem? Recording at home I'm never satisfied with with what I've done. Even the smallest fault seems to sound like a major deficiency. It's not that I haven't been playing a while, I've played for over twenty years, gigged and played in musicals. Any tips for getting past the ultra critical stage? I was thinking of just laying all the tracks down in go, then not listening to the result for a week. Any ideas gratefully accepted.

2. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I've got the same problem. I think I can play reasonably well, but as soon as I hit that "record" button I put too much pressure on myself and begin to screw up. :meh:

3. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    There's nothing wrong with setting high standards for yourself.

Use your early efforts as a learning tool and address the things that bug you. The nice thing about home recording is you have the option of doing things as many times as you like.

4. You are always going to be your harshest critic - that is if you care about the product you are producing. However there is a condition that exists known as 'analysis paralysis' - And it can be just a destructive to the creative process as having no creativity to start with.

I have found that if my 'AP' is consuming me and I am no longer enjoying myself while recording, it is time to take a break and have a cup of coffee. Maybe even bag it for the day and come back later. Sometimes a fresh dose of caffeine or a good night's sleep can reset your head and allow you to better appreciate what you did or give you a fresh palette to work on.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    IMO, the best thing to do is to practice your ass off first (with headphones, so you can track all the finger noises, dynamic inconsistencies and other weak spots that will show up in the recording) and then go into it like it's a live performance. Kind of the measure twice, cut once approach.

Editing can be cool, but I find it's as demoralizing to fix a lot of stuff as it is to flub the part in the original.

6. davewisay

davewisay

Mar 21, 2006
    essex, england
    Glad to know I'm not the only one, and all the comments make sense. Nysbob's right, I've only recently got the recording studio installed on the computer so it's all a bit new. Thank's everybody.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree with the AP syndrome...there is a time when an early take(w/ warts & all) feels better than the 506th 'perfect'/'fixed in the mix' take which may now be devoid of any soul.
    IMO, one shouldn't get to the point where it becomes Painting-by-Numbers(although the current airwaves may be full of it).

The key, IMO, is to sound 'tight' without sounding overly rehearsed.
    Life-long project for me.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    No. If you was, this thread wouldn't have this title! :D

:bag:

9. davewisay

davewisay

Mar 21, 2006
    essex, england
    I'm glad to hear from Jim K, there just ain't enough drummers to go round! Plenty of lead guitarist (wannabes) though. I used to be one. Got into bass and singing cos no else would. Now I love bass playing. Davewisay

10. davewisay

davewisay

Mar 21, 2006
    essex, england
    oh, and by the way, I loved tZer's picture. Mine would have to be me on a bed with three cool cats, all persians, Carrie, Charlie and Popeye!

11. I only record in the studio with my band, but a similar thing can happen: no-one is ever happy with their own recordings. What we do is this: One of us goes into the booth and lays down three screw up free takes (actual wrong notes and the like require a re-take, but finger noise etc. is not enough). Then all three takes are played back and the person who recorded it shuts up. The rest of the band are the one's who pick the keeper. It can be really hard not to just start screeming 'that Eb is a 1/64th of a beat late! how can you want that take?!?' but it's the only way we've found to get stuff done. In your case maybe try getting a mate (though I would suggest one with a music background) in to give a second opinion. If my experiance is anything to go by they will go for the take with the most soul and vibe, rather that the most technically perfect. In the end this probably does lead to a better track over all.

Cheers

12. davewisay

davewisay

Mar 21, 2006
    essex, england
    Thanks Lord Henry, good advice. I'd try asking my wife for her opinion but she'd think it was all great anyway. I definitely think you're correct about the soul and vibe. Just listen to some of Jimmy Pages lead breaks! Davewisay