Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

am i totally mental?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miccheck1516, Jul 1, 2003.

1. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    My current situation is that i want a new amp, and at teh minute there is a good deal for a 410 going second hand. To buy it i would have to sell my combo (laney 65) Now, itll probobly be a while before i get my head, so in teh mean time for practises, would i be able to use the headphone jack of a guitar combo to power my Bass cab? the reason i say headphone and not line out is that i wouldnt want any sound from the guitar combo speakers, cos it sounds crap, and i could blow em....... How does that sound guys?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Unfortnately, that would not work. The headphone output would most likely not be able to even move the speakers. You might have look for another option.

3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Im not disagreeing with you, but i dont understand why the headphone jack wudnt power the speakers, is it because the output on the headphoen jack isnt the same that goes to the speaker? hmm yeh that would make sense.....

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    the headphone output is meant to move TINY speakers. Like the kind in headphones. It may make a miniscule sound in a speaker cabinet, but that's it. Just keep the amp you have, and save some money. Then when you have enough, buy a bigger amp. Keep the smaller one for practice at home. You'll be glad that you did.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    the headphone out has something like 50 milliwatts...

6. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    yeh ive thought about keeping the small amp but i mean, my new amp will have a volume knob.......... and i need a bigger amp fairly quickly for gigs.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    go buy a behringer stack. or find something used. If you are pressed for money, SHOP AROUND! you can find crazy deals. I just bought a 410 for an awesome price. So, shop around, see how much you'll need to spend, and get working to pay your bass bill.

8. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    i dont know much about it, im going in a few days to see a 1000w 4x10, the guy is looking £225 for it, i dont think ill ever get something like this again, and thats why i wanan get it, i intend in pluging a hartke 3500 into it, i know its underpowered, but i absoutley hate distortion, and it means if i wanna upgrade my head, i can........

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    don't be mislead, those hartkes are LOUD. especially for their modest power ratings. Your speakers should have SOME room on them. 1000W handling would be fine.

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You won't have a problem plugging that Hartke head into that cab. You won't get distortion unless you turn your amp up too loud. (And the Hartke is plenty loud.) You can always put the 4x10 in your closet until you get your head. We all play on gear we're unhappy with at some time or another.

11. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    hye man, everyone allways wants some more than they have dont they? i guess i will get the cab and wait for the head, i can play through an old 20w practise amp i have until then, if im doing gigs ill borrow an amp, i have good friends :)
    Also thanks for re assuring me on teh hartke, i thought mabye it would be a little too quiet for the cab but apparently not....

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Why not use the line out but disconnect the combo's speaker. I can't guarantee it will sound any good but it will work.......

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, that setup should work just fine and be plenty loud.