Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I way off on this idea or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveC, Mar 20, 2006.

1. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have an Acoustic Image Focus SA Series III power amp. I like it. Light, small and loud.

I have a Bergie HT112. I like it. Pretty light, small and loud.

I have been using a BDDI as a preamp. After a few months, I don't like it. It's just missing something. The tube simulation is clanky sounding. I don't use overdrive or distortion and I just don't hear what I want.

After reading about the IP Bergies and how you can almost plug in and play I thought, I have that basically with my Bergie and Focus. I took a Boss EQ pedal from the store and ran my bass through that right into my Focus and the Bergie. I have more low end and the highs sound smoother without that clank.

Is it crazy to do this? The EQ has a level boost so I can kick it up a little to feed the amp but so far I've left it at neutral. I'm thinking get a Radial JDI so I have a nice DI for the house and call it good.

I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't like that tube type sound - at least the BDDI version. I also liked my Avalon U5 very much and that was tubeless as well.

Any thoughts?

2. That makes TOTAL sense. The Berg is a great cab and the Focus has plenty of power... what is missing is some EB friendly EQ in the pre IMO. So, you are just adding a little more EQ flexibility without really changing the signal that much by adding 'tube emulation' and all that stuff.

Enjoy... quite a few guys I know (TBers and others) who use the Clarus and Focus for EB add something 'up front' like a Demeter or Sadowsky outboard pre to provide a little more EB-like voicing.

3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Thanks for comment. I really like what I'm hearing so far. I think it even sounds smoother this way - without compression. I have a gig on Friday so I can give it a "real world" try.