1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I way off on this idea or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveC, Mar 20, 2006.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have an Acoustic Image Focus SA Series III power amp. I like it. Light, small and loud.

I have a Bergie HT112. I like it. Pretty light, small and loud.

I have been using a BDDI as a preamp. After a few months, I don't like it. It's just missing something. The tube simulation is clanky sounding. I don't use overdrive or distortion and I just don't hear what I want.

After reading about the IP Bergies and how you can almost plug in and play I thought, I have that basically with my Bergie and Focus. I took a Boss EQ pedal from the store and ran my bass through that right into my Focus and the Bergie. I have more low end and the highs sound smoother without that clank.

Is it crazy to do this? The EQ has a level boost so I can kick it up a little to feed the amp but so far I've left it at neutral. I'm thinking get a Radial JDI so I have a nice DI for the house and call it good.

I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't like that tube type sound - at least the BDDI version. I also liked my Avalon U5 very much and that was tubeless as well.

Any thoughts?

2. That makes TOTAL sense. The Berg is a great cab and the Focus has plenty of power... what is missing is some EB friendly EQ in the pre IMO. So, you are just adding a little more EQ flexibility without really changing the signal that much by adding 'tube emulation' and all that stuff.

Enjoy... quite a few guys I know (TBers and others) who use the Clarus and Focus for EB add something 'up front' like a Demeter or Sadowsky outboard pre to provide a little more EB-like voicing.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Thanks for comment. I really like what I'm hearing so far. I think it even sounds smoother this way - without compression. I have a gig on Friday so I can give it a "real world" try.