1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I wrong about Pigtronix?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dlenaghan, Jul 21, 2012.

1. I've had a bad impression of them for years, but I've never played one. How'd this happen? I read a lot of BP magazine when I was a bit younger and probably read some angry letter to the editor when i was really impressionable, plus I think the resemblance to a lot of EHX pedals I've personally had bad experience with (I know they've got plenty of loyal customers), knob style, layout, etc..

Anyway, I'm wondering this because recently I've started to think some of their designs are very space-effective but YouTube videos can be deceiving and they're hard to find to demo here in Seoul.

Like that dual delay, the Echolution - seems pretty space effective, nicer tone than the Superdelay or Timeline. (IMO)

Anyone have a lot of firsthand time with Pigtronix's stuff?

2. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I have their Philosopher's Tone and am very pleased.

3. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Until I sold it to pay for a Moog MF-103 12-Stage Phaser, I had a Pigtronix EP-2. I loved it, and if it weren't for some of the Moog's abilities to connect to the others, I'd still have it.

My impressions of the EP-1, on the other hand, are not so pleasant. The one and only time I tried it, the unit did not function. It put me off of Pigtronix for quite some time, until I checked out the EP-2.

4. Sunnburn

Sunnburn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Dayton, Oh
    I have the ep1 and ep2. They sound great and have some cool and unique features. I love triggering the envelope off a kick drum or the like. They sure seem like a forward thinking company.

5. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    I like their stuff. Dave is a super great guy. I've talked to him several times on the phone and he is killer.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's funny--he's fantastic over the phone, I like him a lot, but he gives the opposite impression by email. I've talked with him several times both ways, and it was like talking to two different people. If anyone wants to connect with Pigtronix, I strongly recommend calling instead of email!

As far as the products, I think of them like a "premium" or "pro" version of EHX--including both the pros and cons of that brand comparison. Many of the ideas are genius, and you can get some awesome sounds, but their quirks sometimes outweigh their function, for some users.

7. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    Yep!:cool:

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'd agree with that.

I'm a satisfied EP-2 owner, and like EHX they seem to be focused on progressive designs, but at a higher price point and quality level.

There are pedal manufacturers who build more classic designs that are time tested and mother approved, and as a result may be more compact in form factor, or familiar in terms of sonic qualities. Pigtronix takes more risks by introducing products and features that are a little more obscure, sometimes there's a reason they're obscure and sometimes they're ahead of the curve.

9. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I met Dave at a NAMM in 2009 and I really have nothing nice to say about him...sorry. I'll just leave it at that and not go into details.

10. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I had several email questions recently and he got back to me right away and was very helpful - even on weekends.

11. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have a couple of their pedals and they're great. The EP-2 is great. If it wasn't for Moog making their phasor I would never look at another.

Philosophers Tone? Get it.

This a great time for pedals. Cheap pedals like the Joyos are available for pricing circa 1975. And they do the job.

Yes, it's a great time to be alive.

12. I've just been weighing swapping out delays - I use an Endangered Audio BBD which is lush and gorgeous, but I might need to expand its functionality a bit and the Echolution came up along side the Superdelay..

13. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Interestingly Pigtronix was featured in a Business Week article about US company bringing back their production from China. Pigtronix's representative mentioned that their pedal were made in China in the past but due to 30% defect, high production runs tying up cash and the cost of having an employee in China they had brought back their production to the US.

This allows them a better quality and none of the financial drawbacks mentioned above.

More generally, this has been one of the few new pedal company to burst on the scene and get some broad distribution for their products (Guitar Center notably). That alone is noteworthy since there is now a lot of competition in the pedal business.

I have their Fat Drive and like this pedal very much. I have tested a few of their other products and find them interesting and innovative. Some of their pedals have a lot of features and knobs but they are very powerful too. I generally like simpler pedals but it's just me; I can't take away the innovative character of this company and the fact that their products are US made. In a world where too many things are made in China that's worth applauding.

14. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I didn't know they were built in China. I checked and mine say USA.

It's funny, I won't buy an American car but I want my pedals to be American if possible.

I have plenty of Boss and Ibanez and they're great but I like American. Heck I perfer from a mad scientist's basement.

Check out Cambell. He's doing some of that.