Am I Wrong to Hate Warwaick?...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nancy-Boy, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Nancy-Boy

Sep 16, 2001
    I got a second hand Warwick Thumb Bolt was in a state..and ive restored it to its former glory..but i cant get into it at..

Ive tried very hard to love the bass but being a man with small hands it really hurts to ive discussed with my dad and he honestly thinks im making the whole thing up.

Ive Got an Ibanez 300DX and he measured it and stuff and its almost exactly the same as the Thumb.It just doesnt feel like feels bigger..great just too big for my poor hands..ive played it for 2 weeks just about and come to the decsion its just not for me.

Im going to try and change much should i get for a 99 Warwick Thumb in Berbinger in Good condition....What could I get instead???..there's a RickenBacker 4003 which i like...

Sorry to all u warwick lovers..but i cant get into it...:(
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    don't feel bad. i've played a bunch of warwicks before, and i've never liked a one. i mean, i can't argue that they are well made and all, but they just aren't for me. feel like baseball bats.
  3. JPAmorim

Jul 17, 2001
    Rio de Janeiro
    Man, the best bass is the one that is more comfortable in your hands.

So, you will hate the stingray too :D
  4. JPAmorim

Jul 17, 2001
    Rio de Janeiro
    I never played a Warwick. I am very comfortable with my stingray :D
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Don't judge Wariwick by their bolt-ons.

It's the neck-thru's that are their forte.

But I'm not a big Warwick fan either.
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    All of our hands are different. I love the neck on the bolt-on.
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You're not wrong to hate Warwicks for that. You like what you like. I hate Alembics for some of the same reasons.
  8. Don't you think "hate" is a pretty strong word to use for a musical instrument?

Also, why is it okay to hate Warwick, but if someone says "I hate Peavey," there'll be this big flame war?

PS-Not that I hate or don't hate Peavey--like I said, I find it hard to feel so passionately either way about an instrument; but around here, it seems like people don't take too kindly to criticism of Peavey or Carvin, for some reason.
  9. there's nothing like a jazz neck, is there!!!

10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I don't think people "literally" hate an instrument, although I did once turn down a free Alembic. Not from the company mind you. They just have strong opinions in their dislikes.
  11. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    hey mate, no problemo, you shouldn't own a bass you don't like, feeling is everything (no wait, thats from another forum!) and if you can't play that bass for hours without having hand cramps then you shouldn't play it.

Warwicks are not for everyone, they got their own tone, their own feel and their own looks (well, at least except from those Spector basses) I think they at least deserve the appreciation for offering something else in a world full of Fender clones.

now regarding that Thumb BO, you gotta get rid of it ASAP, you shouldn't let that unargonomic piece to sit in the same room as you, so please feel free to send it to me where I will play the sh*t out of...errr I mean dismentle it so no one will get hurt trying to play it.
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    :D :D :D :D
    Air_Leech, you're a brave man for willing to put your life on the line for such a noble cause!
  13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Give the man a silver star :D
  14. I am not a big warwick fan either.The sound and look of the bass are top notch....just that thick ass neck!!*shudder* Maybe if I did`nt have these small hands?
  15. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    You know what they say about men with small hands.

Small gloves!
  16. It took me a while to get used to the neck on my Streamer standard 5. I kinda like it now, though. It feels nice and solid. I'd say to keep playing it for a few weeks and see if you get used to it. I bet you will.
  17. i'm crazy about the higher end warwicks. not crazy about the thumb, but i've played the streamer LX, the pro-m, and a fretless corvette, and i'm bananas about the feel, sound, and looks. a bit pricey for me, though.
  18. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    I've never found a Warwick I could warm up to.

I've tired several, from Thumbs on up, and they have some great tone, specially with the humbuckers!, I have tried them at my favorie string shop through big-ass Ampeg's with 4x10, or 2x15 cab's.
    But that chocolate looking neck feels like , well..... OK, the finish of the neck feels like you are playing an oversized, smoothed down, grapevine.
  19. Its kind of like The Ford and Chevy debate. What ever works best for you is the key!

By the way Ford Rules Chevy Drools ! :D

20. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I've played a few Warwicks. Nice basses but I don't like the neck profile. I love a wide neck but not a fat neck. Stingray's have great neck profiles with a large radius and wide spacing. Warwick's, on the other hand, have a very small radius (which makes them very round feeling) with more narrow spacing. All I've played have forced my hand into an uncomfortable postion that I would never be able to get used to. And I'm 6'3 with large hands, btw, but a flatter radius feels better to me than a smaller one.