Am I wrong to turn down a V-4b for $425?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, May 28, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    it was $425!! i have seen them in good working order for $200!!
    one on talkbass awhile ago for $250.
    (which i tried to buy but never got back to me when i got seriuos!!)
    anyone selling one cheap?
    or any tube head?
  2. I own one and am thinking of selling it. Whenever I see one on Ebay they go for around $300-350. I would expect to sell mine for about that much. The only time I would pay over $400 is with quality tubes and in mint condition. I actually bought mine used in 1982 for $350. There just isn't demand for these like there is for SVTs.
  3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i might be intrested in buying it in a couple of week what kind of tubes does it have? does it still have the 7027a's?

4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

If it is an early 70's (Ampeg, Magnavox, Selmer) you should consider the cost of a cap job (around $150.) and the condition of the tubes (another $80.for power tubes alone). However, I have owned two V-4s and the 7027s were still good in both amps. They were probably replaced once.

So at $450. it better be in tip top shape.

I think people let them go for around $250.-$300. when they find out the above costs.

The first one I bought was $125. and I Traded it in. The current one was $350. + 125.cap job.
  5. gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    Just sold mine 2 months ago for $275.00
  6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i would really like to find a cheap svt
    or any tube head really. but has to be more than 200 watts.

7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

But Again, Prepare to dish out $150.+ for a cap job, and a sextet of Svetlana 6550s will run you $120.+.
    I bought one in October. The amp is a 1971 and cosmetically vg-excellent. It went to the shop 4 times before it was fixed. My 1st tech was very good, he just missed a bad standby switch, and a filter cap.
    I got $1,140. into it. The power tubes are stil good, however.
  8. My V4B is an early 70's with 7027A's. I just had it worked on a few weeks ago and it works fine. This is a dependable amp. I used it for years in my main rig and I hardly ever had a problem with it. I now have too many tube amps and I will probably let this one go sometime this summer. By the way where is Deltona? Are you in the panhandle?
  9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    do you know where sanford is?
    i am on 4-15 going to the beach.