am i wroung

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by warwickben, Jun 21, 2002.

1. i was at another web site and i was trying to start to learn walking bass me what i got from it on beats 1 and 3 you play the root of the chord and on beat 2 and 4 you play half step up or down from the next this that a easy way to make simple walking bass lines.
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I would say "yes and no". I agree with the roots on beat one. (to start), I would suggest a different chord tone on beat 3. Approach the root of the next chord on beat 4 (by either a scale tone or a chromatic (half step) approach. Fill in beat 2 with a note that makes sense to get from 1 to 3.

NOTE: This is a major oversimplification of walking bass! I really recommend that you check out a book or two on the subject (Perhaps Ed Freidland's "Building Walking Bass Lines), and check out recordings of walking bass!
  3. the method you stated ben is more of a country line... i sat down and listend to some old country western stuff (im still scarred) and it just kind of does what your saying root 3rd root 3rd etc... with few changes...

walking lines usually go up/down a chord, outlining the chord shape...

hope i didnt confuse you.
  4. i ment if the chords went a e b (root notes)you would play a a note then some thing a half step befor the e .then u play the e noot. and then some thing half step or step befor b then b,thats what i got from a leasson.

also alot of the books dont make sense since no one can tell me what things are in the book that i dont know.that i need to know
  5. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire

Looking at your profile tells me you are new to Jazz right? This being so, the method of constructing a walking line you have described is a good way to start. Obviously you can develop this concept much more.

You said in your post about the info you related ,"what i got from a leasson" . I suggest that you take a lesson from a professional who is playing walking lines for a living.

Your quote "also alot of the books dont make sense since no one can tell me what things are in the book that i dont know.that i need to know" , is a bit confusing? (Any good teacher can make you a list of things you need to know.)

If you really want to learn what is in a book then work through the ENTIRE book. If one could expalin a book is one sentence then why write books? When looking at a new book, check the table of contents and the chapter headings. This should give you a good idea of what's inside.

I teach many students and write many books. The challange is in disciplining your self to practice the material in a book so well that you can actually PLAY it!

Remember, "The most difficult thing about education is that we don't know, what we don't know, until afer we have learned it."

If you are serious about learning then do not look for shortcuts. Seek out good advice and follow it.
  6. i was reading a leasson online.i dont have a teacher.only teachers in my area are guitar teachers who also teach bass.i figure i would rather be tought by a bass player.a freind went to him for bass and he made himk us a pick because the teacher cant play finger style.

yes iam new to playing jazz. i have a few books one the bass and iam really not that bad, the problem is those books dont teacher me things i have to know to understand the walking bassline books.i dont know how to say that any better.

what i typed how to come up with simple walking bass lines is that right?but you just add more notes so its not so simple.

sorry for any trouble
  7. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Think Bigger!

... Boston, Manchester, ...
  8. bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    What you are trying to do is move chromatically through chord changes and that is tough to learn and are no rules for doing so. You have the concept right in your post but it may not always work in a song. So much for all us newbies to jazz to learn but please don't neglect to learn your scales and modes. They have taken me farther than the chromatic walking.

Now -- if you haven't gotten Ed Friedlands book "Building Walking Basslines" you need to get it pronto. I have it and so here is the review ---

You will start out with learning Root movement over chords -- then root/fifth movements --finally root/5/8 movements. Now all this is reading notes no tabs in this book! However it comes with a CD that you can tune out the bass and play along to the lessons or just listen to the bass. You also have the opportunity to write you own basslines to chord charts in most of the lessons. Next you will learn how to play notes as you have suggested in your post ( chromatically). Then onto scalewise walking and then you put it all together at the end. Speaking of the end -- Ed has about 10 progressions at the end of the book to play along with and you won't be disappointed. I have always been nervous about buying books of this type but this is one you don't need to worry about wasting money on. Got mine from Barnes & Noble the same time I got Standing in the Shadows of Motown the James Jamerson story. Another great book / CD for new and advanced bass players to experience.

Hope this has helped you. If you don't have a teacher buy you one and Ed Friedland is worth the 18.00 bucks. I'm new at this walking stuff too and have finally realized that walking is truly a gift but we can learn it also with the right teachers. Don't give up my friend!

9. ill grab that book.also i dont have a car so i cant rive to get leassons. also i have been working on basslines the way i said ,with my guiatre player freind playing chords sounds nice and i can make them up on the spot.i also marj up suff to add othere stuff. i get to the last chord and the guiatre player starts over again iam kinda lost what to do ,do i just stop and start playing the root note of the frist chord or what.
  10. what othere typ of walking lines are there.