1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am not sure what to do...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InsaneBassninja, Oct 24, 2013.

1. :help::bawl:I have two five strings that I love. But, I have a six string waiting for me to releset it from the layaway. The worst part of it I told my Teacher about it and he wants to get it but the only way for quick money for it is to sell my five strings basses that I have. I have 314.98 dollars to pay on it. I all Ready know I can sale the one of those 200 dollars back to the person I bouth it from. The nicer one 5 string is jack is active bass 9v batter will not hold a Charng for more than 5 days... what should I do get rid of them or wait a bit longer. Or sell them and put them back on hold for later.

2. bungletrpg

bungletrpg

Aug 8, 2013
    Redlands, CA
    What 5-strings do you have? What bass are you trying to buy on layaway?

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    That is one sweet 6er! My advice would be to get it however you need to do that! If that means selling, OK or if that means waiting. Somehow just do it as that bass looks like a winner.

And let me justify this advice a bit. In my opinion learning to what a 5er is REALLY all about takes playing a 6er first. A 6er forces you to deal with all the things you've been ignoring: Extended range, wide flat neck, string damping, cross-neck scales and patterns. I tell you true, I never really understood what a 5er was all about until I got my first 6er. Yours looks a lot like my first 6er (an Alembic Epic fretless (!) 6) The truth is that for quite some time that Alembic was WAY too much bass for me, but eventually I grew into it and the education was priceless.

Yes, today I'm playing 5ers just because muscially I don't need the 6 and the 5ers are a bit lighter and the necks a bit narrower. But I do still have all my 6ers and I still do play them from time to time. Once you understand how it works 5, 6 and 7 strings seem to become just variations of the same instrument.

I don't know if your music really needs the extended upper range of a 6 string, but from an educational viewpoint, I'd urge you to take time to learn what it's about. Learn solos and chords and double stops etc.

That, plus the fact that is one killer looking 6 in layaway, is why I say go for the 6.

4. Thanks I been learning Chords and solos. that's part of the Reason for getting this one I realize. For some of Music I play I need the Low B the other for solo work I like the High C for that. When I was playing around with solo making I Forget which one am using and go to C or B and there not there. I think having the 6 should trouble shoot that.

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Go get it

Peavey Grind 6er somehow reminds me of Ltd D 6er, a good bass for its price tag, yet not much more than that really...

But it's good for your technique and will possibly second your talent

Go get it

Cheers,
    Wallace