Am. P-bass vs. rumblefish p/j

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suckbird, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Fender Am. P vs Reverend rumblefish p/j

What would be your choice and why?
    How would you compare them?

Also, compare them for what they are, dont say you cant compare them coz they are completely different instruments please.

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I would get a Rumblefish because they are going to be discontinued soon. They may have already stopped taking orders for basses but Im not sure.
  3. Get the 'Fish. Like the man said, they're only taking orders for 15 more days. Plus, a P/J is more versatile than a P. And, Rumblefish play like butter and sound like pizza with everything on it. You will not regret it.
  4. Get a Reverend. Awesome basses; by far the smoothest, most comfy neck I have ever played on a bass. The light weight is an added boon and the unique look definitely turns lots of heads. I have the XL, but would think the PJ configuration is only more versatile. I also really like the idea of supporting a small company; albeit they are dropping their bass line :(

And if you get it and dont like it, there's always fools like me to snatch it up from you!
  5. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Another vote for the Rev. Its got a personality and voice of its own. Of course the P is a fine bass, but that's something you can always score down the road if you MUST have one. The Rev is unique and has a quirky vibe without sacrificing functionality. Throw caution into the wind! Dare to be different! Get the Rev!

6. Reverends are relatively inexpensive, light, sound great and the build quality is excellent. The neck is like a 60's Jazz Bass and is the most comfortable I have ever played, bar none. Mine is the older XL version, but I'm sure the PJ sounds at least as good if not better. I would go for the Reverend; P-Basses are always available but Reverend basses are being discontinued. You won't be sorry. Oh, their customer service is excellent, too.
  7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Mmmmmm . . . Rumblefish PJ . . . Mmmmmmmm

I guess I'm prejudiced since I've got two of 'em :D

Reasons to get a Rumblefish PJ:
    - sweet jazz-like neck
    - great Reverend pickups with adjustable polepieces
    - semi-hollow (lightweight & big, blossoming tone)
    - unique looks
    - THE TONE

Reasons to get an American P:
    - P-bass neck (some folks prefer 'em)
    - want a solid body only
    - Rumblefish looks "too unique"
    - prefer the tone

Personally I'd go Reverend (hey, I did) but some folks are Fender P all the way. It's not like you are going to end up with a bad bass either way. You've got another 15 days to order a Reverend, I believe.
  8. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    You mean they might be worth somthing in the future?

It's weird, everyone here seems to like reverend but why dont they sell? I heard you can compare them to a modulus, what do you think?

Also, i live in sweden. Would you pay about 1500$ for a bass you havent tried?
  9. Probably not. But, after September 30, you won't be able to order a new one, and there's only so many of the old ones out there. I, for one, know I will never part with mine. :)

I think there are two primary reasons: people are put off by the looks of the bass, and you can't try one in person because they only sell direct. I have yet to have someone play my Rumblefish and not be thoroughly impressed by it.

Well, they're both basses. That's about as far as the comparison goes! Completely different animals. Reverends have semi-hollow composite bodies, wood necks, and passive electronics. Modulus uses wood bodies, graphite necks (except on the Genesis models) and active electronics.

That's a tough call. It is a lot of money. All I can tell you is, after 16 years of playing and 34 basses, many of them high-end, Reverends are my mainstays. They play and sound better than anything else I've tried.
  10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I doubt that they will suddenly shoot up in value. Discontinuing them may cause the used prices to acheive nearly new prices though.

Would I pay $1500 for a bass that I haven't tried? Probably not, but I live in a large urban area in California where I can find most anything to try.
  11. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Will it be your only bass? Although I think the Rumblefish basses are cool (especially the Brad Houser 5), nobody ever got fired for showing up with a P bass....

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    P basses are cool, I've got two. Great one, great playability: there's are reason everybody played one til boutique basses hit the scene. Having played fender or fender like (G&L) for the whoe of my career, and recently become a Reverend convert, I can promise you that you will not be disappointed by the Rev unless you just can't stand the looks.
    The feel awesome in your hands, are well balanced on a strap, and they cut through the mix like *nothing* else on the planet. Seriously. I dunno what mojo Mr. Naylor packed into those things, but you can have mine when you pry it from my cold dead hands. (better get there early, there will be a line)
    I take two basses to every job these days: my upright, and my Reverend.
    Why Reverends didn't catch on I cannot answer. All I can is once you play one, there's no turning back from my point of view...
  13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    No I just meant that if you want a Fish you should get one now or plan to get one used if you want one in the future. They are a small company making quality basses at a low price. I assume they are discontinuing basses because the profit margin is small and they arent selling enough of them. My suggestion has nothing to do with future value. Also keep in mind that Ive never played a Fish and I own a MIA p bass. If I had your choice I would get the Fish just because they arent going to be making them much longer. I wouldnt compare one to a modulus though. Its sort of an apples and oranges situation...