Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am. Standard Jazz and Precision - Vintage?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Hey, super-duper quick question.

Fender American Standard basses - both types:

What kind of pickups do they have? I've been reading "vintage". Does that mean that they have the "Original" pickups as advertised in the Fender catalogue, or are they stock (and people are mis-using the term)?

On the surface, this should be in the pickup forum but I'm on a frantic mission to pick up (doh! - no pun intended) two 1996's American Standards on the cheap!

Thanks.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    American Standard basses use American Standard pickups. If the seller is claming that the p/u's are "vintage", maybe the seller had them changed to a Fender original "vintage" (from late 60's early 70's) or a Vintage Ri-Issue pickup.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I think the American Standard pickups are also called "vinatage" pickups. In other words, those are the stock pickups, IIRC.

4. Does that mean that the American Standard pickups are not the same as the "original" pickups as advertised in the Fender catalogue?

I checked the Fender Forum but the threads are not conclusive.