Am standard jazz V pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basmicke, Apr 29, 2012.

1. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    Hi,
    I know this topic has probably been covered in some threads before but I can't seem to find it.
    I have a 2011 American standard jazz V that I like physically and I have been thinking about changing the pu's.
    I would really appreciate any thoughts on replacements pu's since where I live I probably have to send for them and hope for the best. Not too many around.

The sound I'm striving for is the traditional j-bass sound, not the one with boosted hi's &lows, that's something I occasionally go for for but then I prefer to add it from a preamp. I'm not a big fan of trebly sounding jazz basses so I guess my main wish is a pu with a strong but warm, organic mid and a firm and deep bottom, especially in the neck pu. My experience is that there's alway more than enough treble in most pickups so I generally turn most of the tremble down 75% anyway.

The stock pus sound decent and maybe I'm looking for something that's hard to get in new pu's but to my ear and after many years experience of jazz basses they are a bit weak sounding (not the output level but the sound) with not so nice top end. When I play harmonics they seem to be much more shy on this bass than on my other jazz basses. Also the neck pu seem to miss some low mid and focus on the E & B string. Maybe this is a common problem on five string j-basses 34' scale overall and something that a pick up change can't fix?

Any thoughts and recommendations would be much appreciated. If anyone who has made this journey already and got an opinion on maybe keeping the stocks or what pu's to get, that would be very helpful.

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I have limited time but I'll give you my quick comment.
    Your comments about your bass bring up the question, what wood combination is your bass? Alder/Rosewood? Ash/Maple?

That, plus your string choice will have an effect on what you are hearing.

I have a set of American Standard pickups in one of my fivers and I find they have a big bottom and very bright treble. (your "tremble")

I suggest trying Aguilar's replacement single coil pickup for the Fender Jazz V. Fairly traditional single coil tone that will probably suit your tone goals.

3. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    Thanks.
    English is not my first language so I just misspelled treble ;)
    It's an alder/rosewood combination and i mostly use rotosound swing bass reg gauge strings and have done for a long time so I'm at home with those strings.
    I also find the Am stnd pu's to be a bit scooped with big bottom and a bright treble but not a treble frequency that's to my liking. I would like a sweeter hi end if that sounds understandable. The way it is now I hear a lot of treble but the mid frequencies below the treble doesn't seem to balance and the result is a kind of hollow middle. The weak harmonics is probably a result of that scoop.
    I will check the Aguilars out.

My concern is that maybe this being a new bass and I'm used to older fenders might be part of the problem, if it is a problem. It might just be a matter of sticking with the original pu's and let the sound settle in as the instruments gets older too. It's nice to be able to get some opinions from players that has been through a similar journey That's a great thing with a forum like this.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the best thing for these kind of anemic passive american V jazz basses i've found is to mod them for series wiring.

you get a big, deep sound (and a better B) while still keeping enough clarity.

on the 4s it's kind of a gimmick, but i really like it on the 5s.

5. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    Ok thanks.
    I read about that in anoter thread. What are the downsides of series wiring?
    I like the traditional j-bass sound and the possibility to solo on more of a bridge pu sound at times. Is that sound still there or will there be an overall deeper sound?
    Would this work? Wiring Diagram

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    If you do a search on this forum you will many threads that discuss various pickups that fit the Fender V platform, and I think by changing your pickups will you make a very large step in the direction of your tone goals, very quickly and very easily.

7. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    Yes, I found some good threads and I will keep on looking.
    I was maybe hoping for some tips in exactly this idiom, that is the Am Stnd jazz V pu replacement suggestions or maybe the stock pu's are fine, just different from the older jazz bass pu's I'm used to from my 4 stringed jazzes. I'm not sure how much of the lack of punch in the mid frequencies might come from the physical aspect of a five string bass. That low B takes away some definition from the other strings for sure. But on the other hand it's all about compromise. If I need that 5th string on some gigs it would be nice to come as close to the regular jazz bass sound as possible... whatever that is ;)

8. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    I briefly owned a Am Std Jazz V and I understand where your coming from. If I had kept mine I would have tried some Lollars. You will have to check to see if they would fit your Am Std V, I got rid of mine before I got that far.

I have Lollars in my 4 string J and they sound very much like your tonal goals. Check out their website for some sound files, I think they represent the pickups pretty well.
    Jazz Bass Pickups JBass

There was another TB'er who had them in his V string and he said they were great.... can't remember who it was though.

The put longer pole pieces on the A, D and strings on the four (I would assume E, A, D on the 5) so it matches the radius of the fretboard. I would think that would be even more very beneficial on the 5 string.

9. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    Thanks. I just contacted Lollar and got the size info on the pick ups. Now I just have to convert the figures to mm to se if it will fit. I need the 100mm neck pu and the 104mm bridge pu, total width if I want to swap them without any modifications.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021