1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Am Std Jaguar Bass w/ split coil - How does the tone compare to an actual P Bass and the MIJ Jags?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vonnegut, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Vonnegut

Vonnegut

Jun 10, 2014
    I've got a MIJ Jaguar right now, and I think it's sounds pretty sweet through my rig - though a little 'flubby' and hollow/woody sounding though when I play with a pick, and put it through my Radial DI for recording.

I've been toying with getting a precision bass, but I do love the vibe and feel of the Jaguar, and am tempted by the new American Standard Jaguar basses with the Precision pickup. I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts on how it the Jags compare tone wise to a real P Bass.

Thanks!

2. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    Would love to hear someone with experience with both a P and American Standard Jaguar to comment on this question as well.

3. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I recently bought a mia Jaguar bass. With the neck soloed, it sounds just like a P Bass. Now, there are those who aren't crazy about the 62 p bass pickup in the mia Jaguar, but it's definitely a P Bass sound.

The mij Jaguar basses are essentially a jazz bass. They will be close to sounding like a P using the neck soloed, but it's not the same.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021