1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am. Std. Jazz rattle

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shakin-Slim, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Anybody else find on those notes that always give trouble, such as an E on the G string, the control plate rattles? At least I think thats where it is coming from. I know these rattles are common in basses, just wondering if that's a common problem with these basses, and if it is a source of frustration for others. It seems to come and go at will.

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Rattles and buzzes can be amazingly hard to locate, like something from a bad dream. I use a mechanic's stethoscope to chase noises and it's saved a lot of time and frustration.

As far as I know, my American Standard Jazz doesn't rattle, but I wouldn't have been surprised if it had. :meh:

3. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Bridge springs are notorious for this. Just give them a little turn with your hands. Also, check your tuners to see if they're loose.

Or maybe you have a loose screw on the control plate or one of the bakelite knobs.

4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I've had mystery rattles on basses & I agree with Bongolation - it can be a real task sometimes to identify exactly where it is coming from. Sometimes it may even be the truss rod itself vibrating in its slot & a very small adjustment (as to not affect the neck) will often quiet it. I'd suggest checking darn near everything as already suggested also including the saddle set screws themselves (as sometimes both set screws can appear to be bearing the string weight evenly, but often, a screw on one side of the saddle can be very loose - enough to rattle). Check the washers & nuts on both top & bottom side of the control plate (including the input jack), etc. until the culprit is found. Basically, wherever there is a screw or bolt - check it. Good luck. :cool:

Fortunately, my 2008 MIA Jazz V does not rattle at the control plate or otherwise. Can't say I've heard any other discussions around TB about it.

5. bobwhite

bobwhite

Mar 11, 2010
    I just got an Am Std Jazz myself. Since yours appears to be a fretless, we can rule out fret rattle or buzz, I assume, but the nut could be a culprit. Explain exactly what you mean by "rattle."

6. I had a rattle, turned out it came from the A string. Loose windings.
    Quite a relief... I thought there was something wrong with the truss rod... :)

7. bickele

bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi!

Even two bridge saddles can rattle against each other. Adjusting the saddle screws in order to slightly change the saddle's angle will help.

The hardest rattle to locate if you haven't experienced it before is when it comes from the truss rod. It seems like the noise is coming from everywhere on your bass. As somebody mentioned in an earlier post, tightening the truss rod a touch should fix the problem.

Good luck!

b.