1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amateur band last night.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Paulabass, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I work FOH for an A room. I deal with the cream of the crop, and I love my job.
    Last night we had a local band (they rented the place, and me with it) for some kind of private party.
    They were pretty good. Mostly in tune and on time, they could sing,etc, etc.
    Part of being a performing musicians is knowing HOW to perform. EG:
    The keyboardist's patches were all different volumes. I had to be on top of it all time.
    Neither guitarist even tried to do their own dynamics. They would solo at the same volume as their sweet little fingerpicking parts. Every effect on their pedalboards had a different output.
    The percussionist clapped his hands 4 inches from his overheads, and even hit a mic with his tambourine (on purpose!) (thank God for limiters!).
    Plugging in things, and unplugging them on stage without muting! Inexcusable.
    Starting every set with tapping on, or blowing into mics. My job is to make sure they are muted, or unmuted. No need for that.
    Complain that the lights are bright. I would gladly turn them off for you :)
    I got a good sound happening, but they made my job 20x harder by not knowing the basics of performing.
    Playing your instrument proficiently is just part of the business.

2. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Oh, yeah, I was just commenting in another thread about how certain things just come with stage experience. I was briefly in a band with a guy who kept unplugging his guitar without muting it and moving his microphone into feedback position. This guy was older than me, used to be in a decent band way back in the day, but I guess he never really did much other than showcase shows where a manager took care of stuff and the band just got up and played. People like that drive me nuts because they think they're experienced, but they clearly don't know the basics.

3. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    Bummer... Hope you gave them some pointers so that they can learn.

RSBBass, 210superair, Cheez and 2 others like this.
  4. Write them a letter. People take notice of letters.

bulldean, Timmah, JackNasty and 4 others like this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

OP: you're right, of course --- all good points/observations. but FWIW: i've seen a few of the "greats" pull some pretty 'iffy' stuff now and then, too. anxiety and/or 'frustration' often make good substitutions for ignorance.

Hachimitsu Pie and pbass888 like this.
  6. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I have been there, it just makes it better when you are working with professionals

7. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    So this! Thank you for posting these pointers, as they just doesn't occur to people.

RiffwRiter, tlite and PlatoFunFactory like this.
  8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Band skills and performance skills. Amateur bands often lack these and use "musicianship" as an excuse for lacking in these areas.

9. That band is
    saying ..” Wow! We sounded great, our best ! Really rose to the challenge ! We are pros, I even heard Joey turn down for the rhythm parts....”

Evil Funk, Nashrakh and smogg like this.
  10. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Paula, with your experience, ever thought of running some sort of band camp, either as an online or 'real' thing?
    I can definitely see the market for up and coming performers in learning a lot of stuff like this.

Maybe call it the Stagecraft Sessions?

11. andawun

andawun

Jul 13, 2009
    "Complain that the lights are bright"! Classic.

electracoyote likes this.
  12. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    They'll never know unless someone tells them; it sounds like none of those things are on purpose. Save the next person the trouble and let them know. The good ones will listen.

13. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    It makes the job that much harder when you are working with people that just don't understand how it all works.

You get the guys that play too loud on stage so you can't balance a thing, people that soundcheck at different levels to what they play and my all time favourite "it just doesn't sound right, it needs something else..." and they can't tell you what the something else is.

We work a lot of rooms where there is a sound and light crew, I provide a DI out pre-EQ and use my amp as a stage monitor. I've worked hard to develop an even and controlled sound to make it easy for the guy on the board to pull a good sound. It's just common sense which apparently is not so common these days. :banghead:

getbent and 2playbass like this.
  14. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I've often been surprised at how appreciative FOH mixers are that I always ask if my channel has been muted before I unplug the DI line or shut off my amp. I mean, it stands to reason that it's best to avoid sending a pop down the line to the console if the channel is still hot in the mains.

So now I know--some players don't do that. Don't mean to sound self-congratulatory; just seems obvious that's what you should do.

BassGuyFL and Oddly like this.
  15. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    It's why yer making the big bucks and they ain't. Right?

:D

I know I used to drive FOH guys batty when I hit the crash with my guitar headstock.

Hey, it was a schtick ...

16. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Personally I would tell them these things in a polite manner and have the techniques that need to be addressed typed out to the BL and let him disperse the information to the rest of the band. (If he is receptive of it)
    Your "helpful pointers" will be appreciated by some and maybe not others, but as a professional, it would be something I would let them know about if they wanted to continue to get better.
    Just my 1-1/2 cents.

Evil Funk and Cheez like this.
  17. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Like I said, many "greats" just step up to the mic where the tape has been placed on the stage and never have to think about anything other than the next song.

210superair and JRA like this.
  18. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    C’mon. Just reach on up to that channel on the board marked “talent” and push the slider all the way up. Problem solved.

210superair, mikewalker and Samatza like this.
  19. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Once had a lead vocalist tell me to turn the lights off (Through the mains) because she was hypoglycemic and they were giving her a headache... I turned all but 2 small pars off. She then said no... I want them all off.

I smiled at the bar owner and he gave me the thumbs up. I found out he was as curious as I was as to how they were going to pull that off.

They played the rest of the set in the dark, and they never got booked back again.

RiffwRiter likes this.
  20. I need to upgrade my board—mine only has a “suck” knob.

Mike N, Nashrakh, The Owl and 2 others like this.