1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amateur In Need of Assistance! (B.C. Rich With a Twist!)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by primussucks9126, Jul 4, 2014.


  1. Howdy folks! Here's a little back story on this project. Feel free to skip to the part with the pictures if you're not interested.

    When I was 18, a producer I was working closely with gave me an 80s NJ BC Rich shell to do something with. It was just a body and neck. Chips all over the finish, missing an inlay at the third fret, no hardware or electronics, hasn't been strung up in God knows how long.

    Fast forward a year or two and nothing had changed. Being a hardcore procrastinator, I hadn't touched it, but I had an idea! I decided I'd put a vintage twist on it by finishing it in TV Yellow and giving it a pickguard like a Les Paul Jr. I even had a TBer do a photoshop job for me.

    Well, I'm turning 25 next month, and I'm finally getting started!

    Problem:
    I stripped the body by sanding after a previous bad experience with heat gun stripping (which can be seen in the picture below) but now I ran into a new issue. I was using a palm sander, and got a bit too excited around the neck pocket since those cutaways were really hard to get into. Put the neck back on to measure for the intonation line since I just got the bridge I want to use, and now I noticed this:

    20140704_114912_zpsfe38154f.

    20140704_114901_zps274edece.

    20140704_114932_zps0204988d.

    Both the neck and the neck plate hang over the pocket. What should i do to fix this?

    I was thinking I should cut a piece of small wood and glue it on and sand it until its the right shape.

    My dad suggested it might be easier to just trim the neck plate down, but I'd rather take the more complicated route and get some more learning experience.

    The GOOD news is that I sanded the neck by hand, and it came out great! I've applied about 4 coats of tung oil right now, and plan to do 8-10.

    This is how it looks now (also note the previous bad strip job. Hopefully the third time will be a charm.)
    20140704_114833.


    And this is what I'm going for:
    warlockjunior_zps115cc9f9.


    I really appreciate any advice you guys and gals have to give me. If there's any interest, I'll upload some older progress pics and keep you all posted on updates!!!
     
  2. abemo

    abemo

    Feb 27, 2012
    Arvada, co
    If you use a bridge with adjustable string spacing, it might work to just shave down the other side of the neck pocket, and shift everything over a mm or two. This would require plugging and redrilling the screw holes in the body as well, and using some type of filler for the gap that would be introduced on that side of the pocket. Otherwise, gluing on a small veneer like you were thinking should do it, especially as it will be covered by the solid finish.
     
  3. ctmullins

    ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

    Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    You could skip the neck bolt plate and just use individual ferrules.


    Sent from my asteroid using Awesome
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.