Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amateur question about picks...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by downward spiral, Jul 29, 2001.

1. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    some people have said that bass pics and guitar pics differ in that bass pics are made of harder materials. is this true and if so, how do you differentiate between them?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've heard reference to "bass picks" and seen one or two makes, like Dunlop "White Zombies" line, that offer "bass picks." But they've been nothing but large triangular picks that have always been made for guitar.

It's the same marketing strategy as if someone offered "bass cables" and "guitar cables." Take the same product and offer it with a different name to a specialized market.

Same animal, different name. At least where I've seen the term "bass picks" used.

3. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    cause guitar pics often seem too soft and bendy compared to fingers, so I wondered if there were bass pics that were better... I've tried playing with random things as pics and have found that metal sounds better than plastic pics...

4. if you play what i play you would get thin guitar pics and alot of them cause sometimes they break before im done with one of my practice songs.

5. NightVampZ

NightVampZ

Jun 22, 2001
    Canada
    I have always just called them pics. I use picks of just about every thickness and alot of them are used for guitars.... I think that a pic is just a pic. It depends on the preference of the musician.

NightVampZ.

6. Thin picks are rubbish for bass. I dont usually use picks but when I do I always use 2mm. Dunlop picks, they are great solid picks, perfect for bass.
    Jim

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Deep - If you're having breakage problems, I seriously suggest you try Herco picks.

When I played nothing but punk with large gauge roundwound strings, my attack was so hard, it made Mike Dirnt's style look like a little girl waving bye-bye. Never had a Herco break or chip. They're nylon and have lots of backbone in the right gauges.

At least with those, you don't have to resort to those picks made out of old cymbal brass that can't flex.

8. I used to play with 1.14mm Dunlops ( dark pink ones ), but i switched to 3mm Stubbies last week..

think picks bend too much, so you loose the " punch " in the sound...

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't use pick much, but Dunlop Stubbies rule. They are all I use. 1.5mm or 2.0mm.

10. Stubbies do rule. I use the small ones though...not a big fan of large picks. I also use these small, pentagon-like picks made by D'andrea, wich are even better than stubbies. Oh, and Felt Picks too...those are awesome on my bass...

11. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I use Clayton 1.0mm. I have found them to be the best of both worlds. I get good POP out of them and relatively fast when I have to be. With thinner piicks you lose all of your attack whick you have to makeup with more gain and volume.

Mike

12. BassMisfit

BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    I use fender heavys, because they were the first picks I used and I always end up coming back to them when trying other picks. I've never had one break and I play fast and heavy 90% of the time. Plus if you hold a lighter to them for like a split second they brust into flames which can be an entertaining waste of money :)

13. snowbrder87

snowbrder87

Jun 17, 2001
    Merrick, NY
    when i play with a pick, i usually use a small pcik thatn when i play guitar. I use around a 1-1.25 pick for guitar, and a .60-.70 pick for bass

14. tried them.. but after 7 or 8 strokes they " whoosh " out of my hand.. :(

15. I would tend to agree with you on that one. The few times that I play with a pick, I use plain, old Dunlop 1.0mm picks. They don't bend excessively, and I get really good attack with them. I used to use 2.0mm or bigger but I either dropped them or broke strings so I switched.

16. I like picks that are thin, but made from a hard material. I get a nice rounded sound from harder materials, not the typical pick 'clackiness'.

I use:
    Fender Extra Heavies(The only Fender product I endorse)
    D'Andrea Spectra Plecs 1.0mm
    Dunlop Tortex .88's
    Dunlop Heavy Gels
    Clayton 1.26mm
    Dunlop Blackline 73mm(The skull ones..hehe)
    EB3 Heavy picks - Alien heads(my bands gimmick)

My favourites at the moment are the Dunlop heavy gels.

17. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I use Dunlop Shell Classics Medium. I like them but then again this is the first time I have played with a pick. So what do I really know?

18. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

I have tried the EB3's (they were given to me) but they are very slick and hard to hold when you get a little sweaty, the Clayton 1.26 I have used on heavier tunes but had to give them up because they gave me tendonitis in my R index finger(go figger).

Mike

19. I've never had the problem of sweaty grips..maybe I just don't get moist hands?

I actually don't like picks with grippy feels to em, like some tortex and the pickboy stuff. I like picks that sort of move in my hand, feels more organic, not something that sticks on my hand. I really like the Clayton picks, but they aren't for every song I play, sometimes you need some maneuverability.