1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amazing Casters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gruskgo, Feb 24, 2008.

1. gruskgo

gruskgo

Jun 17, 2007
    I have a couple of ampeg cabs, and the weigh a ton..a bxt410 and 115. ive gone through about three sets of the usual removable casters (the ones that push in) from them just breaking under the strain when moving them about. anyone know where you can get amazing removable casters? they have to be removable for stacking and i really need them because its so hard without.. any ideas??

2. +1 on the dolly idea

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    You can get a dolly similar to the one Zooski posted for around $20 at a hardware store. I got one from Lowes, and it holds up to 1,000 lbs.

Looks like this:

Wooden_Dolly.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Stay away from insert-type pop out casters, they inevitably fail and start falling out on their own.

The plate-type like referenced from Mesa above are great, but can be found much cheaper at www.partsexpress.com

You can choose your wheel size to match the standard plates. The bigger the wheel, the easier they roll over doorway bumps. I've been using these for several years without a single failure. Good stuff.

Dollys work well if you always have a smooth surface, but once you start hitting uneven pavement, deep cracks and bumps etc. they can be too much of a pain.

6. The Carvin one is more useful because it has no gaps in the platform. I have two, one of which carries my bass equipment and the other my PA. If I am just playing bass I pull That one out. Running sound, the other one. Doing both I pull both. In storage the gear just stays on it's assigned trolley until needed.

Paul

7. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
  8. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I had these put on my Eden 410 XLT when I had it. Great casters. I highly recommend them. But, When tou do lay it on the floor without them, its medal to wooden floor. But I still seem to capture the bottom. Never went bad on me and i used it alot.

9. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Man am i glad you posted this site. I bought these from accugroove for my jr. Its almost half the price here. Thanks for the post. I will use this site from now on.:hyper:

10. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    My old Mesa Road Ready had these same casters and was equipped with taller rubber feet to avoid that "metal to wooden floor" syndrome.

11. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    get MESA BOOGIE track lock castors.

they are THE BEST

12. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    +1 to the above
    The wheels that came with my old carvin Cyclops amp had to be replaced with 3" wheel which just looked wrong.
    The slip and slide factor of the dolly became annoying.
    Eventually I tried one of this type of folding hand truck &I've never looked back:

http://www.handtrucksuperstore.com/details.aspx?id=462

This is not the same model I got but it has the same specs.
    these are only good for combos or speaker speaker cabinets that are shorter than the handle is tall.

13. Anybody ever try "cow pad" as an iso lator to get rid of that metal to floor thing. It worls as good as expensive vibration isolators but it way cheaper. buy it by the sheet. 3'x 5' for around forty buck. I just cut it up to what size I need. It's amazing stuff to rest your head on. I buy it at a tractor supply store.

14. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Does anyone know where you can get the Mesa track loc casters cheaper?

These removable casters came w/my Carvin BRX12 cabinet. I'll never buy another cab w/out large casters again. It's so convenient. There's no brakes but I never had any problems. I'd prefer 2 of the casters to have brakes though.

Don't waste your time w/2" casters. They're not designed for outdoor use.

I've removed the back casters once for better monitoring in a tight stage situation. Cool but obviously the head wants to slide off.

What's really nice is I can lay this on it's side in the trunk of my '91 Congressional Towne Car, remove the bottom casters and slide it over towards the wheel well and gain another 4+ inches of storage space in the trunk.

15. I've always used the Ernie Ball pop out casters. I've had one or two split over the past 13 years or so, but I bought a spare set and just replaced the broken caster.

16. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Order casters from anvil cases. They have all kinds from small and light to industrial heavy duty. Anvil cases has the best gear transportation equipment in the industry (IME, of course).

17. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    What is "cow pad"? Can you find a pic online? I need a cheap iso pad solution.

A google image search for cow pad brings up mostly photos of cow poop.

Cheap foam works but it's stiff enough. Stuff can fall over.

18. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    What about those convertible hand trucks - the type the fed ex guys use. I know that if you have a really big amp and use a regular hand truck, they'll want to fall off, but if you get one wide enough... I guess they have to be collapsible enough to fit in the trunk with your amp...